D.C. Area Babies

When to start looking for daycare in Northern Va

Hello everyone! I am four months pregnant and wondering if I should start looking for daycare options for my LO. I will be going back to work in January and we are not sure if we want an in home or center. We will be living in Burke Va. Any advice or recommendations would be wonderful!!

Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: When to start looking for daycare in Northern Va

• slukd79slukd79 member

Long version short:

If you want a center, get on lists now.

If you want an in home, you can wait until much closer to the baby being born or even after.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I live in Arlington and got on waiting lists in Sept 10 - Jan 11. We got our BFP in late February. I am mainly looking at centers that are on the metro and they told me that the wait list is 12-18 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageslukd79:

Long version short:

If you want a center, get on lists now.

If you want an in home, you can wait until much closer to the baby being born or even after.

This. 

And here is some info about how folks found their daycare around here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Aj1JxqE0aW0JcDZMaFhsTkk5RmRVMmNWeTBrQ05aZVE&output=html

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • I've learned it's never too early. We are 30 weeks along and between my time off and my husband we too are looking to put our daughter in an at home day care starting in January 2011. She is due early August, and there are a few at home day care centers which already wait-listed us. It's worth doing the research and getting the process going.

Like other ppl mentioned centers (which are usually a lot more money) have longer lists, so those are worth checking out ASAP.

Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We were sort of late in getting started with daycare research, but the key was asking EVERYONE I knew who had kids (or grandchildren/nieces/nephews) in daycare about known providers...sure enough, someone decided to go with care in their own home once they added twins to the mix, and a space opened up at their original provider's daycare.  You never know where you will hear about a good reference! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"