June 2011 Moms

38 weeks & not dilated :(

So frustrated...had my 38 week appt this afternoon, and I'm 70% effaced but not dilated at all.... no change from last week's appt. Ugh, I'm so uncomfortable and ready for her to be here! Other than walking & red raspberry leaf tea, any suggestions of what I can do to speed things up??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 38 weeks & not dilated :(

• Um....Have you tried castrol oil?
    {06a578fc-2cfd-4248-85f4-b62a450aed47}_5 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have heard mexican food and bouncing on a birthing ball :)

Good Luck to you.....I am in the exact same boat, but only 40% effaced!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Same exact boat you're in =( Know the feeling. Baby will come when she's ready though.  Happy thoughts!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • As my OB told me when I was 1 cm dilated and 70% effaced at 38 weeks with G, "depending on how acrobatic you're feeling, you could have sex..." Then I laughed in her face.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageClarissad23:
    Same exact boat you're in =( Know the feeling. Baby will come when she's ready though.  Happy thoughts!

this.  i've been a fingertip dilated since 35 weeks with no progress.  Baby will come when he's ready to! 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepbj10:
    Um....Have you tried castrol oil?

Castor Oil will only work if your body is already somewhat progressed/dilated.

• My Doc told me to have sex, but told me that if we do have sex that DH will be poking LO in the head because he's at station 0. I don't think so, it seems wrong on so many levels! But I am not dialeted either, so she said sex and walking were my best bets to get that moving. I had contractions after a nice long walk the other day so it's worth a try!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Awww...sorry I understand the frustration. At 36 and 38 weeks I remained 1cm dilated and 80% effaced. No change at all for 2 weeks.

I just try to move around, stay active, do some yoga poses. Hang in there. 

• EXACT same situation for me!  70% effaced but totally closed.  I didn't want to go super early, but I'm really feeling done being pregnant.  All I know about trying to help things along is sex and walking.  I haven't started on the sex yet (but I'm sure we'll give it a try...not that it will be a pretty sight, I'm just impatient) but I try to spend most of the morning walking and running errands with my son (even though ALL I want to do is lay in bed).  

• Yeah, I'm just about at 39 weeks and no dilation yet. Its frustrating, but she's just not ready to come out yet!
  • Walk a lot! I know that's not very comfortable either but I know every night after my walks I get some pretty low contractions and they are strong enough that I think they may be doing something...

Also both my SIL's went into labor one night after not being dilated at all...so just cause there is no "dilation" doesn't mean labor isn't close...hang in there, you're almost done!

• last week i was closed and not effaced. this week i am 2cm and 50-60%. the things we changed from last week to this week: SEX and walking. sex wasn't easy or really all that fun, but figured it was worth a try. so.....either i was going to progress that way anyway or those two things worked! i'm going to continue them now because even the doctor was surprised at the change. GL!!!! we're almost there! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageginsing:
    So frustrated...had my 38 week appt this afternoon, and I'm 70% effaced but not dilated at all.... no change from last week's appt. Ugh, I'm so uncomfortable and ready for her to be here! Other than walking & red raspberry leaf tea, any suggestions of what I can do to speed things up??

Posts like this confuse me. 

• Two things: my doctor said that doing any of those old wives tales won't work unless your body is ready to go into labor.  Take that with a grain of salt.  However, that being said she did say that not being dilated at this point doesn't mean anything.  She said when your body decides to go into labor you can dilate very quickly!

So, I guess what I'm saying is try not to worry because things could change very quickly! 

• You're only 38 weeks.  Why would you expect to be dilated?
  • imagekattyleigh:

imagepbj10:
    Um....Have you tried castrol oil?

Castor Oil will only work if your body is already somewhat progressed/dilated.

Castor Oil is really not good for you. It works by cleaning you out, which dehydrates you and causes contractions. I have seen a couple moms try this, and the road to delivery was not an easy or pretty one for sure. Just my opinion, but I think risks outweigh benefits here.

• I just assumed I would be at least 1 cm by now. Not sure why my post would confuse anyone? I'm glad I'm not alone. I know she's just not ready to come out yet, but I don't want to go past my due date b/c I am completely miserable & uncomfortable. Ready for her to be here. Thanks for the tips, ladies. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"