Houston Babies

S/O Jogging stroller ?

If a car seat is safe for a car crash why wouldn't it be safe to use for jogging? 
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/O Jogging stroller ?

• A carseat is protected inside a vehicle if you're in a car accident. If you lose control of a jogging stroller with a carseat in it, the baby is just out there in the open. Yes, hopefully you have the seat securely snapped in and the baby buckled in, but there is no protection other than that. What if a car hit the stroller? Much different outcome than a car hitting a car.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTexasSmith:
    A carseat is protected inside a vehicle if you're in a car accident. If you lose control of a jogging stroller with a carseat in it, the baby is just out there in the open. Yes, hopefully you have the seat securely snapped in and the baby buckled in, but there is no protection other than that. What if a car hit the stroller? Much different outcome than a car hitting a car.

But, by that logic, when would it ever be safe to put a baby in a stroller of any sort, jogger or otherwise?  The risk posed by a car hitting the stroller has nothing to do with jogging v. walking.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKNJepp:

imageTexasSmith:
    A carseat is protected inside a vehicle if you're in a car accident. If you lose control of a jogging stroller with a carseat in it, the baby is just out there in the open. Yes, hopefully you have the seat securely snapped in and the baby buckled in, but there is no protection other than that. What if a car hit the stroller? Much different outcome than a car hitting a car.

But, by that logic, when would it ever be safe to put a baby in a stroller of any sort, jogger or otherwise?  The risk posed by a car hitting the stroller has nothing to do with jogging v. walking.   

Good point. I have also heard that the jostling from jogging is too much for a baby. I don't think an infant seat insulates them from that.

• another doctor's take

https://www.kidsdr.com/daily-dose/newborns-and-jog-strollers

"Some parents say this is their baby?s best sleep and can always be assured that their infant will calm down once they get moving. Much more economical than driving the your-baby around in the car too, which also seems to be a good calming maneuver." 

• imageTexasSmith:
    imageKNJepp:

imageTexasSmith:

Good point. I have also heard that the jostling from jogging is too much for a baby. I don't think an infant seat insulates them from that.

This is where my question comes from.  I would assume the impact from being hit by a car would be much greater than from running.  If it can protect you in a car accident then why not during a jog.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecharlotteL:
    imageTexasSmith:
    imageKNJepp:

imageTexasSmith:

This is where my question comes from.  I would assume the impact from being hit by a car would be much greater than from running.  If it can protect you in a car accident then why not during a jog.

Well the carseat doesn't protect a baby from experiencing any impact in the event of a car accident.

Honestly, I'm really not sure. I've just always heard you shouldn't do it until 6 months...so I'm just trying to come up with the reason, lol.

• Suzi-G-Suzi-G- member
    imageTexasSmith:
    imageKNJepp:

imageTexasSmith:

I don't think the stroller "jostles" more when I run than when I walk.  FWIW, I'm not a very fast runner and I run on pavement, not trails.  Plus, I'm certain me pushing the stroller on my neighborhood sidewalk is a smoother ride than bouncing along in the car on some of the pothole-collections we call streets in Houston. 

I never got the logic behind the "not until 6 months" recommendation, but I was too cheap to buy the carseat adapter and too lazy to start running before C was 6 months, so it was a moot point for me.

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • imageTexasSmith:

Just how fast do you plan on running at 6 weeks PP that you'd lose control of the stroller?  :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"