Northern California Babies
Options

Hawaii with a 3.5yo and 18mo?

I found a pretty cheap deal for Hawaii in November, the kids will be 3.5 and 18mos.  It's for 5 nights on Waikiki.  I've never flown with the kids so I have some questions

Questions:

Have you taken a toddler to Hawaii?  pros/cons

Is 5 nights too short for the stress involved in flying etc?

Would you go somewhere other than Waikiki?  Maybe Maui or something?

Other thoughts?

Re: Hawaii with a 3.5yo and 18mo?

• Options

we are doing a trip in nov as well and our travel agent suggested hawaii but i really didnt want to fly that far for 4 nights. with 5, i think that is perfect.

we did take tyler to hawaii when he was 1 and he had a blast! it wasnt really a relaxing vacation but it was fun. we did maui (the wailea side) and i love maui - but i think waikiki is wonderful too. my favorite island is the big island (staying in kona). either way, i dont think you can go wrong!

have a blast!!

• Options

Five nights in Waikiki with the kids sounds awesome.  It's totally on my list of things to do as a family.  I went to Waikiki as a teen for a family wedding and had a blast.  It's definitely family friendly, it's beautiful and it can be cheaper than some of the other more remote islands I think since it's a bigger, more populated place.

If I were going for 5 nights to Hawaii, I'd stay in one place. When we travel we like to settle in and relax as much as possible though so your milage may vary.

We did Maui for our honeymoon (also the Wailea area) and loved it.  There were tons of families there so it has to be family friendly but it is definitely more expensive than other spots in Maui/some other islands given the concentration of high end resorts (Four Seasons, Grand Wailea and others).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I haven't been with kids, but I did go when I was 6 months pregnant. I went to Maui which was very relaxing. Very slow paced which I think would be better with young kids than Waikiki. I've never been there but isn't it pretty crowded with a big night life?

5 days sounds perfect.

• Options

I haven't gone to Hawaii but we go to Mexico every year and LOVE it, we just went in February and they were 4 and 16 months.  My BFF goes to Maui every year with her two kids, they go next week and one is 4 and the other is 19 months and they also have a great time!

Flights are stressful no matter what, but I always love it once we're there!!

• Options

Have you taken a toddler to Hawaii? pros/cons Yes, we went in Jan w/then 3 year old and 10 month old. It was awesome - we had such a good time and even (gasp) found it relaxing. We liked it so much we bought an every other year time share (off ebay - who knew you could get an awesome deal on a timeshare on ebay?!?) and are going again at the end of this year.

Is 5 nights too short for the stress involved in flying etc? We were there for 7 nights and that was perfect for us, but I don't think 5 is too short.

Would you go somewhere other than Waikiki? Maybe Maui or something? I can't comment on Waikiki, but we went to Maui and it was awesome - so kid friendly and we were able to do a good mix of beach and non-beach activities. 

Other thoughts? Go! Have fun!

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagefutrkingsley:

We did Maui for our honeymoon (also the Wailea area) and loved it.  There were tons of families there so it has to be family friendly but it is definitely more expensive than other spots in Maui/some other islands given the concentration of high end resorts (Four Seasons, Grand Wailea and others).

If you decide to try Maui, I think Kaanapali is more kid friendly than Wailea.

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"