D.C. Area Babies

DC child care costs

DH would like me to consider going back to work full-time so I'm trying to work out what kind of salary I need to be looking at to make it worthwhile. 

I currently work at home part-time while looking after LO so I don't have any childcare, commuting or other work related expenses. 

So I need to factor those in against what I earn now to see what job is worthwhile going for. Or even on a part-time basis.

What are you paying in general for childcare per month? And what kind of care is that? Anyone who works part time have you found it easy enough to get part time care?

TIA

Re: DC child care costs

• Artslvr has a google spreadsheet that shows daycare costs around the area. Hopefully she will see your post and can provide the link. I know in-home daycares tend to be less expensive than centers.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Hi! There's some information below in this post. The cost of care depends on what type you're looking for (in-home, center, nanny) and where you are (care is more expensive in DC proper than in the suburbs). Generally, for a child under 2, costs range from $200 - $400 per week for full time in-home or center care.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the replies - the spreadsheet is awesome.

OMG - I had NO idea about the wait lists. I'm sure my DH doesn't either or the cost! 

• I pay 1915/mth at a center in the Maryland burbs.  The price goes down to 17something/mth once she turns two.  I love the center but not the price.  I will look into another center so that we can realistically think about baby #2 but I will have a hard time pulling her out of there b/c she is doing so unbelievably well.  This is for FT care-at my center there is not part time option for under 2 YO but there is once baby is 2 or older.  Good luck.
    BFP #1: 3/28/09: DD born 12/11/09
    BFP #2: 11/16/11: M/C at 7 weeks
    BFP #3: 03/24/12: C/P 03/28/12
    BFP #4: 04/26/12: please be our baby
  • Only part time care I was able to find when I was working from home was my relatives.  Now that I'm back full time, DS is in an in-home daycare (my aunt) and I pay 1k a month ($250/week). 

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're closer to you in Loudoun county.  We currently pay just under 1200 a month for our center.  They do part-time, but it would depend on available openings.  PM me if you'd like more info!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am not sure where you live but it seems that part-time care is easiest to find with in-home providers. In-home providers can be anywhere for $40-80 per day depending on location. I know some in-home providers use hourly rates for part-time care and I think $8-15 per hour is what I have heard is 'normal.'

other options would be a part-time nanny or nanny-share.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think you should plan to earn at least 3 times what you would pay for daycare to make working worthwhile.
  • kastlekastle member
    I'm in arlington & pay $50/day for part-time at an in-home.
  • Thanks for all your replies.

Seems that my current situation is the best one at the moment - unless I can find a job which pays enough to cover both the child care, plus what I'm earning right now, plus enough extra to make it worthwhile leaving LO. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"