Houston Babies

Daycare moms: a room moving question

Our daycare seems to have a habit of moving kids to the next room early..it was a question I neglected to ask when daycare shopping.

The infant room was 6wks-18 months, max 4 babies (it's a small daycare). DS was moved at 1 yr to accommodate a new baby. His new room is now 1 yr to age 2.

They want to move him next week to the two year old room (again to accommodate another kid) .

He has severe separation anxiety already ...each time he is in the new room (the kids "visit" it from time to time..he just melts, it doesn't matter if I drop him off there or if his teacher is there the whole time. He's a bit of a handful, very emotional, and it is complicated by his molars giving him grief.

I just feel like he is getting shafted. I have yet to talk to the director about it. The other teachers assure me that he will be just fine after a few days, that he does well with one child in particular..etc...I can tell that they are just trying to make me feel better about it.

Hmm...this isn't really a question, it's more of a vent I suppose.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Daycare moms: a room moving question

• That would be annoying - I'm sorry you have to deal with that.  Most likely the daycare has seen many a child move to a new room and eventually they do settle in.  It just sucks that you are the parent that has to deal with it.  However, I like when my son moves us a room b/c he is around kids that are already doing the things he needs to be learning - so he can have real live examples all around him.  I feel like when he is held back too long, he tends to just stay doing what the babies are doing. 

Hopefully all goes well! 

• jen5-03jen5-03 member

I think it's pretty common. I can't imagine my DS at 18mo being in the infant room. He'd be bored and causing trouble. They don't go out to play for nearly as long as the toddler room kids and he'd be running circles around crawling infants. Having general age ranges but moving up based on physical milestones is a good thing too.

One thing I like about my daycare is that they only do that type of moving up from infant to toddler 1 and toddler 2 rooms. After that, they go by school cut-offs. So you have to be 2 by Sept 1 to go to the 2yo room and you're with the same kids in the same room with the same teacher all year. And your group of kids stays together for 3 years. But this setup does mean that kids tend to get stuck in the 2nd toddler room for a long time and I know DD was in the 1st toddler room for longer than normal because the 2nd toddler room was full and she couldn't move up until Sept when the kids ready for the 2yo class moved on.

- Jena
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I know separation anxiety and transitions to new rooms can be very difficult. I always think dropping them off while they are upset is one of the hardest things to do.

Like CareBear said, moving up can be a great thing since there is so much more to do. Once your DS moves to the new room, he may prefer it. DS is in the 12-18month room and he hates it when they have to go to the infant room while their teacher has lunch. He becomes restless and annoys the babies.

I hope the transition goes much better than you expect.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• Suzi-G-Suzi-G- member
    imagejen5/03:

I think it's pretty common. I can't imagine my DS at 18mo being in the infant room. He'd be bored and causing trouble. They don't go out to play for nearly as long as the toddler room kids and he'd be running circles around crawling infants. Having general age ranges but moving up based on physical milestones is a good thing too.

One thing I like about my daycare is that they only do that type of moving up from infant to toddler 1 and toddler 2 rooms. After that, they go by school cut-offs. So you have to be 2 by Sept 1 to go to the 2yo room and you're with the same kids in the same room with the same teacher all year. And your group of kids stays together for 3 years. But this setup does mean that kids tend to get stuck in the 2nd toddler room for a long time and I know DD was in the 1st toddler room for longer than normal because the 2nd toddler room was full and she couldn't move up until Sept when the kids ready for the 2yo class moved on.

This is pretty much how our school does it for all ages.  Cooper started in a class w/ 2 other babies who have birthdays the same week as him.  There is a class of 4 babies with birthdays a few months ahead (Nov.-Dec.).  Over the next few weeks the two classes will merge to make a young toddler class of 7 kids w/ two teachers.   He will have 2 new teachers but will still be with the two kids who have been in his class all along so I think that makes the transition easier.  

I can't imagine how stressful moving kids up by themselves is, but given the choice I'd always want Cooper to be with kids a little older than him over babies, so I think I'd be ok with the move.  But I'd still be worried about it.  Good luck to you.   

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Our daycare promotes children to the next classroom usually based on milestones. I was super worried when our daycare decided to move DD to the next room despite her not achieving the milestone required for the move (namely, she did not walk yet). 

Now I think it was the best thing ever. She's learning to walk (though she refuses to walk if DH or I are around), she's sleeping much better and longer at night, she's pointing to objects (which she didn't do before). She's learned a lot by interacting with kids that have already learned to do the things she needs to pick up.

I think my worrying had more to do with feeling that she's growing up too fast, rather than actual fear of her not doing well in the classroom. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• You're perfectly in line to try to make things work for your child's disposition, imo. While he'll be fine in a few days, sometimes you can make things easier by talking to the director and finding another way. 

With our first, we really dreaded the move. He just didn't have the personality for it. We and a few other parents worked with the director to keep about 6 children together for every room change from 8 mos. to 3 years of age...that helped a lot. They were always with their core group.

Fast forward, our second is at the same day care and we haven't been as nervous or insistent. Part of that is us; we're more comfortable with the teachers and actually excited to get our second with some of our favorites.

The big difference, though is that our second is a more flexible person, emotionally, about this kind of change If he wasn't, I'd ask for the same treatment as K1.

You could always ask for what's possible? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"