D.C. Area Babies

Cluster feeding and offering a bottle

Just this week DS seems to want to cluster feed all day and night.  I suspect he is at his 6 week growth spurt right on schedule.  My goal was to start introducing him the bottle 1x per day after he wakes up from his afternoon nap.  Yesterday went great- he napped, I pumped and then gave him the bottle (3.5 oz) and then he nursed for a good 30 minutes.  Last night he did nothing but nurse from 5-10 pm with small breaks in order for me to get dinner.  He did great with the bottle and took the bottle again twice today since we had to be in the car for long periods for my 6 week post partum check up.  I'm honestly not worried about him refusing the bottle so should I just prolong introducing the bottle until he is finished with this growth spurt so my milk supply keeps up with his needs?  I can't remember what I did with DS #1 but I do remember DH always asking me "Did you give him a bottle today?".  It's funny what you remember and forget the first time around! 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cluster feeding and offering a bottle

• If the bottle is from milk you pumped today, you are still building up your suppy.  The only issue would  be if you were pulling from a freezer stash - but I would be rather impressed if you managed to build a freezer stash by 6 weeks!
  • It was from freezer milk actually.  I was super engorged the first 2 weeks my milk came in so have about 70 oz already stashed.  I did pump after giving him abottle this morning too.  I wasn't sure since I know the baby is way better at expressing milk than the pump.  
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemstavish79:
    It was from freezer milk actually.  I was super engorged the first 2 weeks my milk came in so have about 70 oz already stashed.  I did pump after giving him abottle this morning too.  I wasn't sure since I know the baby is way better at expressing milk than the pump.  

That is impressive!  It took me forever to get anything into a freezer stash - I would just try to use milk from the same day as much as possible - but a bottle from the freezer stash here or there probably won't cause any problems...

• Hi M! I miss you. Might I just remind you how supply never seems to be an issue for you (70 oz already in the freezer is an example...)? I suspect you won't have ANY problems with supply, nipple confusion, or bottle acceptance no matter what you do so I would just do what works in the moment. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hmm...I'm not sure I understand your post, but I would just suggest that for every bottle you give him, you pump too.  I wouldn't worry about the nipple confusion at this point since he is 6 weeks old.  Pumps are not as efficient as babies, so if you keep it up for too long, it may hurt your supply.  I had a major oversupply with DD1 and I started out having one with DD2, but it has definitely dropped and I'm not producing as much as I did with DD1.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"