New York Babies

Empire plan participants

Hi ladies!
I am curious if anyone who is an empire plan participant did the first trimester screening for Down?s Syndrome Trisomy-21 and Trisomy-18 and if they covered the cost.
I did call in to get information but the person I spoke with really had no clue what I was asking.
Thanks in advance!
Charlie was born 12/15!!!

Re: Empire plan participants

• I don't have empire, but I would call back.  Are you talking about a NT scan?  The person on the line may only know that term in particular
  • I have an Empire "basic" plan (the cheapest one) and my NT scan was covered.  I assume you're talking about the NT scan (which entails a sonogram at 11-13 weeks plus a blood draw).

In general, when you call them to see if something is covered, you have to give them a procedure code (or ICD-9 code).  The procedure code can be obtained from your OB/hospital.  

I know of women who have had difficulties with NT scan coverage because their particular plan required precertification.  I called Empire's precertification department to check on this because I'm neurotic.  I didn't require a precert, but your plan might be different so you should check it out. 

DD born 11/20/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"