TTC after 35

Finding an end to the long journey!

Hi, I am new to the  boards.  I am 36 years old.  I am married for almost 6 years.  I have been with my husband for 14 years.  I have NEVER been pregnant and not used BC for about 10 years.  Went to the Infertility Doc two years ago, but was unable to go through with my game plan due to lack of funds.  All testing came back wonderful...all blood levels great, etc.  My husband is also a stalion with 290 million.  lol     Finally, went back this month because an angel has blessed my with some money to go ahead with my journey.  Everything again is perfect, all the blood test levels are normal, I have 10 antral follicles on the left and 10 antral follicles on the right.  My tubes are wide open.  My husband again has 280 million and he is 50 years old.   

I was told that we will probably follow the same game plan, IUI/injectables/clomid.  I am worried about my age though!  Even though everything looks perfect I am wondering if they will just send me right to IVF.  Can someone give me insight about the Follicles and the age and having mature eggs.  Someone that is my age that has been through this and had success with the first IUI...HELP!  This is so emotionally draining.  I will do whatever I have to do to make my baby dreams come true this time...... 

TTC 4 years Husband-50 Me-36 'UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY" 6/15/11-period started 6/16/11-us showing 23 antral follicles 6/17-6/21-clomid 50 mg 6/23/11-follistim inj (150 mg) 6/26/11-US (3 follicles 26, 26, 19) estradiol 1100 OVIDREL TRIGGER AT 7 PM 6/27/11 IUI #1 (60 million sperm post wash) 6/28/11 IUI #2 (60 million sperm post wash) 7/5/11-progesterone level 7/12/11- first day I can do pregnancy test

Re: Finding an end to the long journey!

• Welcome to the board. For success stories, either check out PG after 35 or PG at IF. Not a lot of us have had success. I'm starting stims for my 4th IUI today. As for your age, don't worry about it. Plenty of 36 yrs old get PG and have perfectly fine eggs.  If your FSH/AMH is normal, try not to worry about your eggs. Only through IVF can they actually look at your eggs to see if there is a problem. That's the hard part of IUI-- you can be doing everything perfectly but they can't see your eggs and the entire process could be useless IF they could see the eggs. You won't know until you try!  I wouldn' t go immediately to IVF until you try IUI (with injectibles).

BTW: Cheezeface on PG after 35 got PG on her first IUI.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• I have read so many stories of IUIs taking 2, 3, 4 times to work.  It sounds like that my be do to some underlying problems but I am not really sure.   I was wondering if may be better just to go to IVF and skip IUI.  The percentage is much higher.  My doctor told me that we will be the most aggressive we can at a good price.  The part that is annoying is that everything is soooo expensive.  

My FSH/AMH were on the money so that tells me I have good quality eggs and good reserve.  Is that what that means?   

I know that everyone wants everything to go right the first time...lol 

TTC 4 years Husband-50 Me-36 'UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY" 6/15/11-period started 6/16/11-us showing 23 antral follicles 6/17-6/21-clomid 50 mg 6/23/11-follistim inj (150 mg) 6/26/11-US (3 follicles 26, 26, 19) estradiol 1100 OVIDREL TRIGGER AT 7 PM 6/27/11 IUI #1 (60 million sperm post wash) 6/28/11 IUI #2 (60 million sperm post wash) 7/5/11-progesterone level 7/12/11- first day I can do pregnancy test
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetrishdeleon:

I have read so many stories of IUIs taking 2, 3, 4 times to work.  It sounds like that my be do to some underlying problems but I am not really sure.   I was wondering if may be better just to go to IVF and skip IUI.  The percentage is much higher.  My doctor told me that we will be the most aggressive we can at a good price.  The part that is annoying is that everything is soooo expensive.  

My FSH/AMH were on the money so that tells me I have good quality eggs and good reserve.  Is that what that means?   

I know that everyone wants everything to go right the first time...lol 

If your numbers were good, I assume you fall under "unexplained infertility". You may get lucky on IUI on the first or second try. But unfortunately an IUI can be perfectly timed with no known underlying issues and it still doesn't work. No one knows why.  IVF does have better stats (usually) but it is invasive etc. It's up to you if you want to go there first. I actually wanted to go to IVF first but since I have insurance coverage, I have to follow their rules which require a certain # of IUI's first.

My RE said treatment is a marathon, not a sprint. Sometimes we need patience every though we want this NOW. It's really hard!

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Welcome to the board.  I am also 36 with 37 right around the corner.  I have never been pregnant so I don't have a personal success story to share.  DH does have a friend that is around our age that had quick success with IUI after trying for several years.  Good luck.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Welcome to the board! I am new as well, and I am also newer to the TTC, so I don't have much in the way of 'advice' but wish you all the best in this process!!
  • Hi there!  I mostly lurk on this board now but I am a former posting member.  Your story could have been mine, almost exactly.  I hadn't used BC in about 10 years and had never been PG.  We are the same age and have been with our partners for about the same amount of time as well (but I waited much, much longer to get married :)

All of our b/w - s/a totally normal to fantastic.  It was such a mystery.  I will tell you honestly that I felt like many times I was ignored by the Doctors because there was nothing identifiably wrong.  There was nothing for them to treat. The RE is the one who saved the day for me.  So be very proactive and make them be as aggressive as you want to be.  It's hard not to come off as the 'hysterical-baby-crazed-woman" but, so what if you do?  I had to push, push, push for IUI because the way I saw it, I was already ovulating normally (without the Clomid) and if just regular sex was going to get me PG, I should have been the Old Woman who Lives in A Shoe. 

We were so very, very fortunate to have found luck with our 1st IUI.  It isn't the same for everyone, however, and it may take you more than one try.

Anyway, the age thing - I've just chosen not to worry/think about it.  There is nothing that you can do to reverse it and the things you hear about are much more scary than the reality.  Besides, If I had had a child when I was most fertile - in my early 20's that would have been a bigger disaster than having a high-risk pregnancy in my 30's.

Good luck to you and keep posting.  Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions - or come find me on the 35+preg board...Like I said, we are living practically parallel lives.

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"