Working Moms

are you social with/at work?

I only work part time, so in my case I'm horribly unsocial.  I just don't have time to have water cooler conversations about stuff, or go to lunch with co-workers.  Part of me misses it, because I am so out of the "loop" and I think people think I'm aloof because I can never make it to any of the staff parties.

But the other side of me says, "who cares?' and I think some people are TOO social at work to begin with.  At least I come and get my stuff done and leave.  But it's a delicate balance.  I try to attend a few things, even if it means having to make extra childcare arrangements.

Are you social? Do you go to things after-hours?  

Re: are you social with/at work?

• I am not as social as I was before I had DD. For the most part I really like the ladies that I work with but I would rather spend time with my family or my friends. Honestly I see enough of these people during working hours!!
  • I try to, but nothing after hours. But, most everyone I work with has young children or babies, so not many of them socialize outside of work hours. It is hard to do lunch sometimes because I have to use my lunch hour to go bf my dd at daycare. Sometimes I get invited to go even after I have taken my lunch, and I go. My boss is completely understanding.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am social more so at work than at the after hours stuff, if I do go to them, I don't stay for long. Also at work I keep it very neutral, I try to stay away from the gossip.
    Sign up to get great deals!! http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=2654096 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • our company really doesn't do anything social after hours.  and i don't hang out with the people i work with outside of work.

During work hours i do have friends and try to have one-on-one personal conversations with them. but i keep it short and infrequent (maybe weekly?).   it may just be a passing 'how is your DH doing after surgery?" or a catch up conversation.  I also just organized our (small) department's potluck Mondays.  Our company could use some friendliness.

• see, my department/organization is mostly young, mostly single (and/or childrenless, or if they do have kids, they're all older) and it's mostly open spaces.  so there is a LOT of "water cooler conversations".  Like, there is a huge halloween party this afternoon for our staff (they have tons of events like this) but I'm not going since i work mornings.

Sometimes it makes me feel bad....I get over it pretty quickly.  I just wondered if anyone else feels this way :)

• My office takes regular breaks together.  Around 10:30-11 am one person will start going around to all of the offices (there are only seven of us) and saying, "Let's take a break."  So everyoen stops what they are doing and takes a break.  Only once in awhile will someone say they're too busy.  Then, it is usually repeated in the afternoon.  I personally think it is annoying.  For one, I'm usually right in the middle of something.  Two, it is useless chatter.  But I continue to go so I'm being social.  We don't do a lot outside of the office and rarely go out to lunch. 
  • Not really. I have one close friend who is a co-worker, and I enjoy the company of my small team and my boss. But, we're all different ages and at different places in our lives. So we don't socialize much outside our staff meetings we have from time to time. There is the rare birthday party around here, but I skip them for the most part. I get in on time, don't leave my office except to take my lunch hour, and leave?promptly?at 5 to get my DD.
  • I am social with most people at work, but that is mainly because I see them so much more than I see my family.  Usually I don't do anything after work, because I have to pick up DS but occasionally DH is home to watch him so I can have a drink or two after work.
    Big Brother Logan Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Miles Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Bryan Smith - Freelance Photography Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've been here 5 years and I used to be very social.  Now, not so much.  I work 30 hours per week and work through lunch (eat at my desk), get my work done and go home!  I try to be friendly and it's not that I don't like people, I just have other priorities, you know?
  • Nothing against my co-workers but I don't socialize much at work. I complete my work, I am cordial with everyone and attend the work functions during business hours.

I do not socialize after hours, I really do not see the point it's MY time and I prefer to do MY own thing on MY time.I have developed a friendship with one of my co-workers so we talk more often.

• I'm the same way that I was before DD...kind of anti-social. Lol! I don't go to the potlucks or the holiday parties. I do, however, go to showers or retirement parties of the people that I'm close to. I'm close to a lot of people at work though, so I'm not definitely not silent during the day. Oh, and most of the people I work with are older, mainly 50+. The ones that are around my age are not married and do not have kids.
  • I am relatively social.  One of my best friends now is a coworker.  She and I had our babies 1 week apart so we spent a ton of time together on mat. leave.  I play kickball wtih some coworkers in the spring/ summer.  I like many of the people I work with and consider them good friends.
  • Not as much as I was before I had DD.  I would just much rather work through lunch and eat at my desk so I don't have to worry about staying late than going out with CWs.  I used to go 2-3x a week and now it's more like 1-2x a month.  I did the after-hours GTG thing once in a blue moon before and now that has increased to never.  A lot of people don't realize it's a choice between seeing them or seeing my DD.  And they lose every time.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I work from home most of the time, so there is zero water cooler conversation or after-work get togethers Smile

But the weeks that I'm in the office, I make a point to participate in all that stuff. First of all, it's easier because I don't have DD to come home to. (My office is out of state.) Second of all, I know that networking is critically important to my career. What seems like idle chit-chat or gossip is actually building relationships that will help me get ahead. I know it's especially important for me because about 75% of my team does work out of the office (the rest work from home like me) and so they get that relationship-building on a daily basis. I have to make it all up in just one week a month.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• This is something that has been improving for me.  I started with my company in December but I was hardly ever in the office so I didn't really socialize at all.  I was promoted in March so I started spending a lot more time in the office.  Everyone seemed to have their own little groups already and I didn't really find my "spot".  I never went to lunch unless it was business related.  But recently 2 of the staff members that I supervised (both of which I knew prior to working at my company) were promoted as supervisors of the same program I run.  They share an office and mine is next door so we actually talk a lot and have been going to lunch 2-3 times a week.  It's really nice and helps me feel more connected and happy to be at the office.  The office had a Halloween party last night.  We were one of the first ones there and last ones to leave.  It was a great time.  We talk about going to happy hour but it hasn't happened yet.  I do prefer to get home to DD after missing her all day.  One of the girls is a young singe mom of 2 and the other is young and single with no kids.  It's a nice balance. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i am social when i have time, but i have to leave by 5:15 b/c of daycare. Others will stay till 6:00 every night because they talked the day away. I get my stuff done and get out of there.

i do go out to lunch with friends at work. The only after hours thing i do is the Christmas dinner. We get off early that day, and it is a very big deal to our boss.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
  • I would say I am pretty unsocial, especially after having DS.  I don't go to any after-hours social events, because I need to get home, cook dinner, and put DS to bed.  I don't go out to lunch with anybody, even though a lot of people go out everyday, for three reasons - eating out everyday is unhealthy, expensive, and I prefer to spend my lunch hour with my son at daycare.  He is the best lunch date ever!

I feel pretty out of the loop there sometimes, but ultimately, my job is just how I make money, whereas my family is my life :o

• I work from home a couple days per week and will sometimes go to lunch with co-workers when I am in the office. ?I would rather be home w DD so I never go out afterwards (unless it is someplace where DD and DH could go too)
  • I always try to be fairly social AT work. I'll usually chat with people if we're in the kitchen together, and I try to stop in the events we have during work hours (we have retirement parties, receptions for new associates, etc. that are during the work day). I used to go to happy hours and stuff, and honestly I kind of wish I still could but I'm the one that has to do daycare pick-ups so it just doesn't work out unless I make arrangements way in advance, and happy hours are usually a last minute kind of thing around my work.

I haven't attended the last two company outings because we couldn't find childcare, and I feel a little bad about that because my firm does encourage participation in those kind of things, but oh well. Luckily we do have our Christmas party and those other events during the work day so I can always attend those.

• I try to balance my time and spending money on lunch.  I don't want to work unnecessary OT because I was chatting all day and I try to bring my lunch to save money.  But I also know that I need to keep social, so I make a point to go out a couple days a week and make a point to be social throughout the day. 

That said, I do not like after work events.  It's hard to say no all the time, but I get only 1-2 precious hours a day with DD.

• I am pretty social at work but I only talk to certain co-workers that I like. Most of them I can't stand and they are all nosy and back-stabbers. I never participate in any after work functions just because I mostly hate my whole office. I have a few good friends that I have made so those are the people I socialize with outside of work.
  • We own our business so it's tough being social.  It's part of the job.  i feel like I'm all business most of the time.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"