North Carolina Babies
Options

A WWYD....Breastmilk related

I have 125oz of frozen breastmilk that was my stash before we found out about Naomi's milk protien allergy. I've kept it in hopes that she would outgrow the allergy rather quickly and I could still give it to her but it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon and I definitely don't want to throw it all away.

I was looking into donating it. The closest milk bank is 2 hours away in Raleigh. If you are "local" and can deliver the milk they will take as little as 150oz. If you mail it in it has to be at least 200oz. I would be willing to part with 25oz of my new stash just so that I don't have to throw the rest away but I'm definitely don't want to part with 75oz.

I guess my question is, would you be willing to drive 2 hours to drop it off or just toss it? I REALLY don't want to waste it, especially when I know there are babies out there who could really use it but I'm having a hard time figuring out where I will find 4+ hours round trip to deliver it. What would you do?
image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011

Re: A WWYD....Breastmilk related

• Options
    I have a friend who might be interested in taking it.  I'll send you a message on FB if you're interested in donating directly to a person.
  • Options
    I also know someone who may be interested (in the Greensboro area).  Please let me know if you still need someone to give it to.  jmherrmann at gmail
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would not want to toss it, and would probably either find the time to take it to Raleigh, or hopefully you can find someone like the pp's mentioned that can use it.  That's alot of milk to throw out and I just couldn't do it.  Sorry you're having to get rid of it though :(

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I ran into the same situation. I actually wound up donating it to ECUgirl's friend. I had over 200oz, but to donate to the milk bank without knowing ahead of time that you planned to do so, makes it really difficult. There are a lot of restrictions, caffeine-free, med-free, alcohol-free. You also have to go for blood tests, phone interviews, etc. I understand the reason behind it, don't get me wrong. But, if you hadn't planned on donating, it makes it difficult. I was pretty sure my milk was caffeine free, but I couldn't guarantee it. I occasionally drank coffee before I pumped. I was very likely okay on the alcohol, but I couldn't guarantee that it had been at least 12 hours since I had consumed my evening glass of wine.

Anyhoo - I wound up getting a letter from my doctor stating that I was disease free. I posted on a FB board called Human Milk 4 Babies, and I also got in touch with ECUgirl's friend. It turns out the demand for donated milk is much higher than I ever would have imagined.

Don't toss it, definitely try to donate it somehow! Good luck! I know how frustrating it is.

• Options

Thanks Speed!!  It helps knowing others in the same boat.  I hope you don't mind if I email you with questions later.

ECU - definitely pass the info on to me.  I just want to know that it is being used and not thrown away!

JHL - I will definitely keep your friend in mind!!

image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011
  • Options

Email me anytime! I'm not always great at responding right away, but I promise I will get back to you.

AND, OMG! I can't get over how old Connor looks! He looks like a teenager! So handsome!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"