March 2011 Moms
Options

LO has had 2 major throw ups now, bad burp or overate?

Has anyone's breast fed LO had this? Mine is 7 wks so 2 throw ups is not a major concern but I feel bad when this haPpens even though he shows NO signs of discomfort... I do however then end up being covered in milk and then the worry that I should have cut him off??? Also, then I wonder when to feed him again + how much? I will ask pedi @ next appt but wanted to hear if any of you have had this haPpen.

Re: LO has had 2 major throw ups now, bad burp or overate?

• Options

Throw up or spit up?

If spit up, then LO likely over ate, and then, just feed him the next time he shows hunger cues, and try to feed him slightly less.    And yes, I've definitely had LO spit up on me bc he over ate. 

If throw up, I don't really know the answer.  

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • Options

Is it while he's eating, when you're burping him, or sometime after?  My LO is a major spit monster sometimes it seems like he yaks his whole feeding up.  I find this happens if a) he's eating too fast b) he's eating too much c) has a burp that is stuck. 

I would just continue on your regular feeding schedule.  Mention it to your pedi though.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMissYouDietCoke:

If throw up, I don't really know the answer.  

ditto this.

• Options

Since it's only happened twice and your LO is 7 weeks, I'd guess a burp was stuck or your LO ate too much/too fast. My DS has reflux and spits up all the time in quantity. Sometimes he will dump several ounces and need to eat again.

Was the spit up projectice and that's why you called it vomit? Was it normal color? DS spit up bright yellow once, that's something to call your pedi about asap.

image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DS has been a major spit up monster for the last two months.  The dr. said not to worry if he doesn't seem in pain and is growing.  She did say to keep him upright 30 min after each feeding and that may help.  It seems to help a little, but not much!  Yesterday was his first day on all formula and he threw up last night after a feeding.  It was awful!  I could tell he was starving afterwards, so I just went ahead and fed him again (just not as much).  Then this morning he had another huge spit up after eating.  So, I think I'm going to try to feed him smaller amounts throughout the day today.  I am going to try to keep him on schedule, but if he seems hungry earlier, I will go ahead and feed him. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    lnickylnicky member
    My lo throws up a whole feeding about twice a week, but the pedi said she wasn't concerned unless it gets more frequent. I hate it! It's VERY messy and scares the heck out of me, but she doesn't really seemed to bothered by it. I think it might be related to me very fast letdown...i think she gulps in a lot of air and eats too much too quickly. I am very careful now to pry her off and let my milk flow into a burp cloth until it slows enough for her to eat comfortably. Let us know what your pedi says, but if he/she has no answers look into asking a lactation consultant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"