South Florida Babies
Options

Baptism-where?

Hi bumpies,

Does anyone know of any churches in the Miami area that are "lenient" with their baptism rules? Every church I have called requires we be married by the church (we are not) they require godparents be married by the church (they are not) as well.

Then they also asked me for the godparents baptism certificates and when i said they were baptized in Cuba they suggested I call the archdioses t obtain cuban records. Seriously, I just want to baptise my baby.

Thanks!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Baptism-where?

• Options

The first two are biggies and if you cannot provide that then they are not going to make an exception on the baptism certificate even if it was done in Cuba. I got my church to make an exception for our youngest's Godfather buuuut I was married by the church and so was he and still I had to talk to my priest about it and get his approval for them to waive his baptismal certificate.

Your alternative is to baptise your child Episcopalian. That is what a friend of mine had to do. Either that or make an appointment to discuss this with the priest and see if he will make an exception.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am having my son baptized at Coral Gables Congregational. We go their really only on holidays, so we do have a connection there. However, we are not members...we were not married there...nor did they ask for any thing from the godparents. hope that helps :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    plymouth congregational, didnt ask us for anyhitng and REALLY pretty :) GL and have fun planning!
  • Options

Try St Thomas over by Sunset and 72  Avenue< My friend just baptised her daughter and they were pretty lenient

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagen&j1010:

Try St Thomas over by Sunset and 72  Avenue< My friend just baptised her daughter and they were pretty lenient

oh no, they definitely require you be married by the church.  St. Thomas won't budge on that one (we were parishioners there for a few years.)

Catholic churches will require you to be married in the church because it is a sacrament.  It's like trying to get married in the church without being confirmed or having Communion- they just won't allow it. My husband and I had to get a waiver when we got married by the church b/c he's Episcopalian- but we had to sign an affidavit that said we would raise our children Catholic and have them Baptized in the church.  

• Options
    You might want to try a congregational church. 
  • Options

Mother of Christ on Coral Way and 137Ave!  By far very lenient.  My aunt and her DH aren't married by church, and we baptized my godson there no questions asked.

GL! 

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    St. David's in Davie requires a 45 min info session. One parent and one godparent must sign a paper that states they are Catholic, that's it, no proof required. 
  • Options

For a catholic baptism, you'll encounter those requirements nearly anywhere (unless you know the priest).  However, I know that at Mother of Christ they only make you attend the class.  My cousin and his wife were not married in the catholic church and neither is confirmed.  The God mother wasnot married in the catholic church and was not confirmed either.  The Godfather was the only one that met the criteria.  So try there. 

Otherwise, I do know people that, because it was very important to them that their children be raised catholic and baptised in the catholic church, choose to do a simple ceremony with the priest to be married (noone was invited and many people didn't even find out). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"