October 2011 Moms

husband not allowed in during anatomy scan?

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experiance as me, or if this was a little strange.  Yesterday I had my anatomy scan, and the tech had my husband stay outside the room until the very end when she was checking for gender.  I couldn't see any reason for this.  He would have loved to have spent more time looking at our baby through the ultrasound.  No gender reveal for us yet :(  Baby was being shy.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: husband not allowed in during anatomy scan?

• That sounds really strange to me.  My DH has been allowed in to every appointment I have had. 

I mean really this is his child too, shouldn't he get to be involved.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • amyc216amyc216 member
    No, I wonder why that was the case.  Were you in a room with other patients or anything?  My dr. just keeps men out of common areas like the lab.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • it was the same for me. it was a small room and i guess a lot of people bring kids, SO's, parents, etc and people talk and ask a lot of questions which can be distracting. it takes a lot of concentration for the tech do get all those pics so they asked if he'd wait for the first part and then they brought him in at the end, revealed the sex and showed us both an overview of the anatomy scan on the machine. it really built the suspense for me since she knew as soon as she switched on the machine that it was a girl but she of course waited to tell me until she brought DH in. :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lame! I don't understand why they would do that, as the baby is obviously hubby's, too (i.e. if there is a problem or something, you both should be there to know). Plus, anyone's SO should get to be there to watch the u/s images & baby for the whole time (I don't get what harm is done having them in there?!)

I'll be irate if they kick my hubby out at mine on Thursday!!! I would throw a fit. 

• Mrs. MoMrs. Mo member
    imagemrookie:

That sounds really strange to me.  My DH has been allowed in to every appointment I have had. 

I mean really this is his child too, shouldn't he get to be involved.  

These are my thoughts as well. He has every right to see the baby as you do. It just so happens that you HAVE to be there. That's strange that they wouldn't let your SO in.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • That is really lame. Mine was allowed in the entire time. 
  • That is frustrating. Although I haven't had my anatomy scan yet (one week to go), I have been able to bring a guest for all of my other appointments and ultrasounds.
  • That's weird. What a strange policy!  :(
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • wow, that sucks.  when DH came in the tech said "and there's the daddy chair!" and was so welcoming and kind.  at one point he rubbed his eyes (not crying) but the tech said "are you guys ok?" 

I can't imagine feeling less cared for at such a scary time.  How awful of your hospital! Did you ask why?

• I would have said no, I want him here and unless you can give me a valid reason for him not being here, he is staying. And then cry and blame it on the hormones....Devil
  • Was this at a different place than your other u/s? I went to a MFM, but my dad was allowed to come in (MH couldn't make it due to a last minute work thing). The tech did check first to make sure LO was ok and there was a HB and all, even saw the gender right off the bat, and then she went and got my dad. I would be sooooo upset if I couldn't have someone with me!
  • ive never heard of that
  • JanimalJanimal member
    That wouldn't fly with me.  I think I would have put my foot down. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • That sounds very strange. I have my anatomy scan coming up in about 2 weeks. When I made the appointment the receptionist actually gave me a list of "Do's and Don'ts" for the appointment, and it said I could have up to 3 other people in the room for my US.
  • I have had four ultrasounds and DH was not allowed in the room for any of them until the technician was finished working. I think they just don't want any distractions while they are taking important measurements.

It is their policy so not much I could do it about. They always allowed him in at the end and gave us a little breakdown of baby.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I've had two viability scans and DH was not allowed to come in while they were doing the technical work.  After they got all the info needed, the techs went to get him and let him look as long as he wanted.  I'm hoping that at today's a/s, he'll get to be there for the whole thing, but I doubt it.  I've had every u/s at a different facility, but they're all owned by the same hospital, so I'm sure he'll be stuck in the waiting room again.

Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• imageJanimal:

ditto!

I dont' buy the "they need to concentrate" crap either.  i just had mine this morning and the women was awesome, chatting w/ us the whole time.  i think if you get an experienced tech there should be no issue w/ other people being there, even if there was, she could ask him to be quiet!

my mom came to our u/s for #1, they said i could bring up to 3 people!!  

imageimage

• imageJanimal:

ditto!

I dont' buy the "they need to concentrate" crap either.  i just had mine this morning and the women was awesome, chatting w/ us the whole time.  i think if you get an experienced tech there should be no issue w/ other people being there, even if there was, she could ask him to be quiet!

imageimage

• Wow, DH and I would have been pissed!

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• That definitely sounds odd. DH has been to every appointment so far (except for the last one since he couldn't get off of work) and both the OB and receptionist said, "Make sure your husband can get off of work for the next one so he can see the baby, too!" I mean, it's his kid too. I don't understand the rationale of not letting him into the room. It's not like I need privacy, I mean, he's seen it all before...
  • This is the policy where I am too. I don't even get to see anything until he comes in at the end.  I think it's because this is a medical procedure and they are trying to get measurements, etc and don't want to be interupted by the parents asking questions or wanting to see certain things, etc.  We were also told absolutely no photos or video due to it being a "medical examination".  My H came in at the end for about 5 or 10 minutes and she pointed out different structures/features and told us the gender.

• They did the same thing with me.  I heard from an employee that a patient was in the room with her husband and family and the tech asked her if this was her first pregancy and she said no she had an abortion once before.  Her family and husband had no idea.  Her husband divorced her and she sued the hospital.  So for the patients privacy, they don't give them a choice.
  • I'm sorry. :( DH and both of our mothers came to the a/s and stayed for the whole thing. The tech talked us through the whole thing while she was taking measurments.
  • They had the same policy where I got my scan done. They did all of the measurements first, then they checked my cervix, then they let DH come in... It wasn't a big deal for me, but yes, It would have been nicer if DH could have seen the entire scan...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageababymaybe:

I have had four ultrasounds and DH was not allowed in the room for any of them until the technician was finished working. I think they just don't want any distractions while they are taking important measurements.

It is their policy so not much I could do it about. They always allowed him in at the end and gave us a little breakdown of baby.

This is the same policy that my hospital has.  We had no problem with it.

• imageLindsayB0505:
    This is the policy where I am too. I don't even get to see anything until he comes in at the end.  I think it's because this is a medical procedure and they are trying to get measurements, etc and don't want to be interupted by the parents asking questions or wanting to see certain things, etc.  We were also told absolutely no photos or video due to it being a "medical examination".  My H came in at the end for about 5 or 10 minutes and she pointed out different structures/features and told us the gender.

Exactly this. I've had u/s in 3 different provinces, though this was my first maternity, and it's the same policy in every hospital I've been to. The waiting room is full of men waiting for their turn to come in and see some. The tech kept the screen turned from me until she got all the info she needed, called in my husband, and spent about 10 minutes showing us the baby. The hospitals I've been too also all have a policy not tot reveal the sex. 

• imageJillD2011:

imageLindsayB0505:
    This is the policy where I am too. I don't even get to see anything until he comes in at the end.  I think it's because this is a medical procedure and they are trying to get measurements, etc and don't want to be interupted by the parents asking questions or wanting to see certain things, etc.  We were also told absolutely no photos or video due to it being a "medical examination".  My H came in at the end for about 5 or 10 minutes and she pointed out different structures/features and told us the gender.

Exactly this. I've had u/s in 3 different provinces, though this was my first maternity, and it's the same policy in every hospital I've been to. The waiting room is full of men waiting for their turn to come in and see some. The tech kept the screen turned from me until she got all the info she needed, called in my husband, and spent about 10 minutes showing us the baby. The hospitals I've been too also all have a policy not tot reveal the sex. 

From my understanding, this is a very common practice.  An ultrasound is not for your entertainment or for you to get to see baby.  It is a medical examination.  I had my 20 week u/s today.  The screen was turned from me the entire time.  I told the tech at the beginning that we did want to find out the sex, so she told me she would keep an eye out.  After she was done,  I went, emptied my bladder, got DH, and then came back in - she spent a good 5-10 minutes showing us things.  She wasn't able to show us a good shot at that time, so she went back to a shot that she had gotten early to show us that we have a healthy baby boy. 

"God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it" 1 Corinthians 10:13
  • imagechristiney06:

imageJanimal:

ditto!

All of this. There were some ultrasounds during the last few weeks of my first pregnancy where I wished the tech would just hush up and scan, so I don't buy it either. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • WOW.  I go to midwives and they let my DH back for everything.  Even the first exam where they check everything.  He has not missed an appt. or U/S yet and does not plan on it.  Usually they air all of the bad stuff at the H&P.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"