Baby Showers
Options

Shower on a long weekend? (clicky poll)

My bridal shower was held over Labour Day (2007) and now my mom is talking about doing the same thing for my baby shower this year.

As a guest, would you find this annoying?

[Poll]

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Shower on a long weekend? (clicky poll)

• Options
    To answer my own poll, the only long weekends that are important to me are Thanksgiving and Easter (family stuff).  All other long weekends are fair game for things like showers.

Oscar born October 2011

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I voted SS.  The way my life is now - if my DH is working (which is 2 out of 3 weekends), it doesn't matter.  Long weekend or not - I'm probably around and available.

If he's off, well then, I'm probably a "no" because every "off" weekend between now and Sept is already booked! 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally, it wouldn't bother me, BUT...my co-worker had originally tried to plan my work baby shower for Memorial day weekend & found that a lot of people were going to be busy/OOT so that is definitely something to consider. If you want everyone special in your life to attend your shower I wouldn't suggest doing it on a holiday weekend.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Round 1, C 18 months =) Round 2! TTC #2, Cycle 1 image Oversharer extraordinaire:Blog
  • Options
    imagediscobelle:

We usually have plans on holiday weekends.  Unless the shower was for a really close family member or best friend, I'd probably skip it.

This.

Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • Options
    bhw5660bhw5660 member
    It mainly depends on the weekend but I also find this annoying.  I used to work in event planning and brides seemed to think that people wanted the long weekend to go to the wedding but they really were just assuming.  Unless it is Memorial Day or July 4th, I want my long weekend free to do what I want and usually it means being lazy.  I don't find it more convenient to have an event over a long weekend.  Even if its for 1 day, it ends up consuming most of the weekend.  That being said, I like to host cookouts for Memorial Day, etc. but I usually try to do it Sunday afternoon so people can still relax and have the majority of the wekend open and I want it as low key as possible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It depends on the holiday and if there is something planned. We usually go camping over memorial and labor day weekends. but there are some times where it would be nice to still have a two day weekend after you go to a shower or wedding or birthday party, etc...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My baby shower is coming up next weekend (Memorial weekend). It was planned that way in thinking that most people would likely have a holiday weekend off from work and be able to attend. Plus a friend of mine will be having her baby in early June, so I wanted to make sure she could still come and enjoy my shower before she had her baby. 

I don't see anything wrong with having a shower on a long weekend. Especially if the event is only going to be a couple hours. I've went to plenty of events on a long weekend and I never complained about it.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageWoodsie:
    imagemandyhall2882:

My baby shower is coming up next weekend (Memorial weekend). It was planned that way in thinking that most people would likely have a holiday weekend off from work and be able to attend. Plus a friend of mine will be having her baby in early June, so I wanted to make sure she could still come and enjoy my shower before she had her baby. 

I don't see anything wrong with having a shower on a long weekend. Especially if the event is only going to be a couple hours. I've went to plenty of events on a long weekend and I never complained about it.

It's not a matter of the shower being only a couple of hours. We almost always make plans to go OOT for long weekends, so a shower that's "only a couple of hours" screws up plans for the entire weekend. I would skip unless it was for a best friend or sister. (I obviously voted "So Annoying").

I understand some people go out of town. My shower invitations were sent out about 5 weeks in advance, so guests could plan accordingly since it was going to be a holiday weekend. A lot of my guests will be in town next weekend and plan on attending. 

Smile 

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's not nearly as bad as having a wedding on a holiday weekend (UGH).  I'd go to a holiday weekend shower if I were in town and didn't have any other plans.  Not the best scheduling, though, for a lot of people.
  • Options
    It would depend.  If I had plans I just wouldn't go to your shower, if I didn't have plans then I wouldn't care.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't care.  I am not a crowd person, so I don't like to travel on holiday weekends when I can go away before or after & spend less money and deal with less people.

Even if I did have plans I would not get annoyed by getting an invitation that I had to decline.  Unless it's your BF or sister I don't see showers as 'must attend' events.  I think it's fine to have the shower over the long weekend as long as you don't get cranky with the people that can't make it.

image Grayson's side-eye
  • Options
    I always have a party to go to during Labor Day week-end every year (my BF's birthday and her parents throw a pool/lake party every year).  I think it is really hard on a holiday week-end to find people home.  Especially Labor Day which is the last before school starts.  My cousin got married over Memorial week-end and although it was nice to have the extra day(s) to travel (7 hour trip) my DH already had plans to go fishing with the "guys" (7 hour trip in the opposite direction) so I had to ride with my brother and SIL.  I was also 8 months pg so it seemed like a long trip.
  • Options

Three day weekends are golden in our home. A shower would be last on the list of possible things to do.

• Options
    imageCANDID SMURF:

Three day weekends are golden in our home. A shower would be last on the list of possible things to do.

Ditto.  Unless it was my sister or my best friend, I would send my regrets.

• Options
    Personally, I get super annoyed when invited to a shower or wedding over a Holiday weekend. My reason is, it's pretty much the only time my husband gets any days off work, so we like to spend the time with eachother, doing what we want. That being said- you're the only one who knows what works best for you and your family. To some this is a big deal, to others, it's not.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I chose "No opinion. A weekend is a weekend, so who cares?" 

If I have plans to go out of town then I won't be at the shower.  I'm definitely not going to reroute my plans for it.  If we're home, just planning to BBQ or whatever I would come. 

• Options
    I voted for "so annoying". We always have plans to be out of town if it is a three day weekend or during the holidays. My friend got married in the MIDDLE of Labor Day weekend so it ruined the whole weekend (we normally leave Friday and come back Monday, but her wedding was on Sunday....in the middle of the day). So we had to stay home for the whole weekend just because of an event that was a few hours. Frankly it was a waste of a long weekend......so we were both pretty annoying. Especially since we live in the PNW so our summers are short and everyone tries to take full advantage of long weekends during the summer months. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options

It doesn't matter to me. Long weekend or not, if I cannot attend then I will send my regrets along with a gift.

The only way I would find it annoying is if the hostess or the guest of honor got mad if people couldn't attend.

BFP #1 4/22/11 Missed m/c 6/2/11 D&C 6/3/11 @ 10w1d
    BFP #2 10/13/11 c/p 10/17/11
    BFP #3 12/13/11 EDD 8/23/12 DS Born 8/27/12
  • Options

imageCeridwen21:
    To answer my own poll, the only long weekends that are important to me are Thanksgiving and Easter (family stuff).  All other long weekends are fair game for things like showers.

Agree with you completely!

• Options

Many people like to go away over long weekends or make special plans.  I find any scheduled event (like a shower, where it is hard to decline just to hang around) annoying on a long weekend.

I like to be able to make last minute plans and sometimes go away.  I think your attendance will be lower than it would be on another weekend. 

• Options

Actually, I'd like to add that if many of your guests will have to travel to get to the shower, it might be more convenient for them on a long weekend.

• Options
    Thanks a lot for the opinions, everyone! In the end it's up to my hostess, but I just wanted to see what the general feel was.

Oscar born October 2011

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"