Georgia Babies

Odd Situation- WWYD

I took Gavin and Sophie to CFA for lunch today.  After he finished eating, I let him go play and I was sitting right outside the glass with Sophie.  About 2 minutes after Gavin went in the play area, I realized that Sophie was dirty- like nearly a blowout.  So I went in to try to get Gavin to come out for a minute so I could change her in the bathroom, but of course, since he just went in, he didn't want to leave and was way up in the top.  So this other dad was in there- very nice guy- and he said, I'll keep an eye on him if you want.  I froze.  I mean, on the one hand, I'm sure he was just being helpful but on the other hand... omg- and I couldn't even think of a polite way to decline.  I just stood there stammering.  Luckily, two other moms came in just then and they all sort of said we will watch him, go on.  I guess I felt like that was a better situation.  But then I was kicking myself as I walked away... and I swear I have never changed a diaper that fast in my life to get back to him.  I mean, I am the most paranoid mom in public.  I don't even like to leave him at the table while I walk over to get napkins and straws!  But I just keep thinking- it only takes a second and Gavin is the most impulsive kid ever- he doesn't think, he just acts.  ANYTHING could happen and it scares the crap out of me.  Anyway, I don't feel like I handled it well at all but even my husband couldn't give me a better solution but he agreed it was a bad situation.  What would you have done? 

Re: Odd Situation- WWYD

• maykatmaykat member

That's a tough one... 

If it were me, I would have dragged Alec out and made him go the bathroom with me--but I am super paranoid.  Another option would have been to wait 10 mins to change baby girl (if possible).

• I know I don't have 2, but I would have dragged him out kicking.  Again, I wasn't in the situation, and only have one, so who knows?  Glad it turned out well.  I wish we could trust people more.  There are just too many crazies out there for my comfort though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • It's a tough situation, and it would probably just depend on my gut feeling given the particular circumstances...ie., if you had seen this dad and his kid eating lunch, then I really don't think he is going to steal MY kid and run out, KWIM?  Especially since he was all the way up in the top, it would have been difficult for a grown person to get all the way up there, pull my kid out and leave CFA before I got back out :)  Or honestly, I might have just thrown a blanket down on the floor and changed the baby there if it wasn't crowded at all.  Maybe that's gross, but it's a kids play area, it's gross anyway :) 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Depends on your feeling of the Dad and the other Moms there.  Often I'm chatting with the other Moms and Dads and watch them interact.  I would probably offer to keep an eye on him for you if on the reverse foot.

So if I got a good feeling I'd probably be okay.  But I might of just let the baby stay dirty for 10-mins or so why brother played or changed her there.

• missmlpmissmlp member

imageUGAbride:
    It's a tough situation, and it would probably just depend on my gut feeling given the particular circumstances...ie., if you had seen this dad and his kid eating lunch, then I really don't think he is going to steal MY kid and run out, KWIM?  Especially since he was all the way up in the top, it would have been difficult for a grown person to get all the way up there, pull my kid out and leave CFA before I got back out :)  Or honestly, I might have just thrown a blanket down on the floor and changed the baby there if it wasn't crowded at all.  Maybe that's gross, but it's a kids play area, it's gross anyway :) 

It is challenging when you have two because you have to figure out whose needs are more important at the moment.  My philosphy as a mom of two is I have to work smart and not hard.  Therefore I would have totally thrown a blanket down and changed her especially since I hate changing diapers in public bathrooms. Trust me no one would have dared said anything to you because moms understand.

• +1 on the change in the play area situation.  I've changed Isaac many places out in public rather than drag P to the bathroom.
  • Oh sorry, I forgot to add that I couldn't change her there.  The play area was PACKED with kids and it's so cramped in there anyway, she would have gotten trampled.  I probably could have done it on the seat in the booth although I'm sure my fellow diners would not have been amused :-)  Hopefully I won't find myself in this situation again.  I have now made a mental note to check Sophie's diaper BEFORE letting Gabba play.  Live and learn. 

• I would have gone the kicking and screaming route with promises of a milk shake if she'd just let me get this diaper changed before Liam gets a diaper rash.  But I practice the bribery method of parenting.  See my reply to Carries post. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"