Military Families

Update ::AGAIN::

I think we have taken a step toward a decision. We really want to get some more concrete information from a recruiter. We have to find out about the recruiter's office (hours, appointments, etc.), but I think he's really going to go talk to them. Our "offices" are in a strip mall. There are I think four branches right there. He seems to be leaning more toward Air Force based on our research, but that may change. Thank you ladies for all of your advice and support. I'm so excited. It may be a while yet before he actually signs papers, due to my degree. But if they offer us something feasible, he might go for it sooner. He has taken a look at the information to prepare for basic training, so hopefully we'll be working (as a family) toward fitness goals over the next few weeks.

EDIT: We are making plans to see a recruiter tomorrow. Post your last minute tips.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Update ::AGAIN::

• each branch has its benefits and its offers :) we are Air Force. GL! <3<3
    Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
  • Like PP said each branch has it's own benefits.  When you guys talk to the recruiter make sure to ask about paperwork that you can fill out to get ID's for you and your child and to be put into the Deers system while your DH is in Basic. 

As a word of cation if he goes Navy make sure he DOES NOT sign up for the Seaman/Airman/Fireman apprenticeship program.

• Loading the player...
  • imagePhotoFan:

Like PP said each branch has it's own benefits.  When you guys talk to the recruiter make sure to ask about paperwork that you can fill out to get ID's for you and your child and to be put into the Deers system while your DH is in Basic. 

As a word of cation if he goes Navy make sure he DOES NOT sign up for the Seaman/Airman/Fireman apprenticeship program.

Can you explain some of that stuff a little more? What is Deers? And why should we avoid the Seaman/Airman/Fireman program? We are super new to this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRandiDeeAnn:
    imagePhotoFan:

Like PP said each branch has it's own benefits.  When you guys talk to the recruiter make sure to ask about paperwork that you can fill out to get ID's for you and your child and to be put into the Deers system while your DH is in Basic. 

Can you explain some of that stuff a little more? What is Deers? And why should we avoid the Seaman/Airman/Fireman program? We are super new to this.

Deers is the program you will need to be enrolled in so you can get a Military ID and be put on his medical.  When he enters basic you will be eligible for this stuff.  And the reason he should avoid Seaman/Airman/Fireman program is because it's a lie to trick sailors into going in without a designated job.  I know from experience lol  They told me that I would be able to work with 3 jobs of my choice then choose one to stay with.  Ya.....so didn't happen.

If he goes into one of those programs he'll basically be considered "undesignated".  If he goes Seaman he'll be a "Deck Semean" which means he'll stand watches and paint the ship....this was the one I was duped into.  

If he goes airman he'll be one of the following jobs: A chalk and Chainer which is someone who secures planes after they land or a Fuel er which is someone who re fuels the planes after they land and also helps refuel the ship. 

If he goes Fireman he'll be at the bottom of the ship where the engines are standing 12 hour watches....and let me say it gets HOT down there.

Just make sure he actually picks a real job and that it's in writing on his contract.  The good thing about the Navy is that a big majority of Navy jobs are transferable to civilian life.  After 2 years of being in I finally got away from being a Deck Seaman and became a Navy Photographer and that is what I do now that I'm out of the Navy.

Hope all this info helped!

• I agree with above - make sure that when he signs its for a specific job, whether its officer or enlisted. Depending on the branch, they will take a test that qualifies them for certain jobs. After that, some branches sort everyone at basic (meaning you could be stuck infantry even if you wanted something else), others you go in with a specific job from the beginning. This applies to both officer and enlisted.

Good luck with your decision!

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"