March 2011 Moms
Options

What to do for a constipated LO...

I will be calling the nurse-on-call today to ask this very same question, but I thought I would also check with you ladies to see if any of you have had a constipated LO. DS hasn't pooped since Thursday. He has been passing gas like crazy, but doesn't seem uncomfortable or like he is in pain at all. We have been incorporating more formula into his diet since I am going back to work this week and don't have much of a BM stash built up. We were also out of town for a few days and he spent a lot of time in his car seat.On Wednesday he got his shots, so I am not sure if any of those things are playing a factor.

If you have had a constipated LO, what has your doctor said to do? 

Re: What to do for a constipated LO...

• Options
    My Dr. told me it is normal for baby to not poop for weeks. My LO can go a few days between bowel movements. If he seems uncomfortable I sometimes take some vaseline and the thermometer and wiggle it around his butt hole. This usually does the trick.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The thermometer trick PP mentioned was suggested to me by my doctor.  It has worked.  DS stays constipated and has since birth. The doc now has me giving him 1tsp of dark Karo syrup (make sure it's the dark) in his bottle 3 times per day.  This helps my DS everytime I do it.  You can also use a sliver of a glicerin suppository if nothing else works - I haven't had to do that yet.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kwitt22kwitt22 member
    our pedi has us do one oz of water and one oz of a pear juice. this usually always makes her go within twenty four hours. every pedi is different but ours strongly advises against dark karo syrup.
  • Options
    Our pedi asked if Mommy was constipated and if so, for mommy to drink some prune juice and that would also help baby. They also recommended the thermometer with a little vaseline for stimulation as well as moving LO's legs in a bicycle motion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD#1 was ALWAYS constipated. We did thermometer trick for awhile. Prune juice or pear juice. But we ended up having to give her Miralax in one of her bottles a day. Its safe for baby & it works!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1 oz water and 1 oz prune juice OR 1tsp brown sugar mixed in 2 oz water per pedi. Either can be given daily. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I tried the"thermometer in the butt" trick and it worked :) We had poop of epic proportions this morning :)

• Options
    kgs0505kgs0505 member
    I had to do 1 oz prune juice with 1 oz of water twice a day to get my son moving. The thermometers only works for us once in a while. I read on Karo syrups website that they changed the formulation and it doesn't work for constipation like it used to. Good luck... I hate it when he's uncomfortable from constipation.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"