3rd Trimester
Options

Tylenol P.M. vs. Benadryl the lesser of two evils????

I prefer to take neither, but if I don't get some freaking sleep I'm going to officially lose it. Anybody use either, and how often? Which one will knock me out more?
Jenny BabyName Ticker

Re: Tylenol P.M. vs. Benadryl the lesser of two evils????

• Options
  • Options
    mizzmegmizzmeg member
    One Benadryl and one tylenol PM have the same amt of medicine that makes you sleepy. 25mg. Only difference is tylenol stops all pain. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Benadryl saved my life during the 3d tri. I took it 2-3 days a week. They both work the same... it's the same ingredient. Tylenol will just help with aches and pains.
  • Options

With Tylenol PM you are exposing the baby to 2 medications (acetaminophen) which is the Tylenol part of Tylenol PM and a sleep aid (I believe diphenhydramine or an equivalent which is an antihistamine) the PM part. FYI: diphenhydramine is the generic name for benadryl.

Speak your doctor before taking either of these medications. These message boards should not substitute for your doctors advise.

• Options
    I take Tylenol PM every night. Either one is fine to take during pregnancy.

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I took Tylenol PM and it worked once for me. I hadn't had an hour of sleep in 3 days.  And finally last night, I fell asleep!!! 6 hours straight.  Benadryl would not me out but keep me tired for a couple of days.  If you don't have to work, maybe Benadryl would be good.
  • Options
    kacellekacelle member
    I was in L&D on Friday for an NST, and the sheet they gave me advises taking Benedryl to sleep.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    Thanks. Of course I checked with my Dr.'s office. They said both were okay.
    Jenny BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    BeabsBeabs member

Tylenol PM = Benadryl + Tylenol

The normal dosage of diphenhydramine in Benadryl is 25 mg per pill. Tylenol PM is 500 mg acetaminophen + 25 mg diphenhydramine per pill.

Everyone's different, but what works best for me is 1000 mg acetaminophen and 25 mg diphenhydramine. Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mmmm...cake! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up taking two Tylenol P.M.'s since that's what I had at my house, and it tool me over an hour and a half to fall asleep, but then 8 selpt for 7-8 hours!!!! That felt nice.
    Jenny BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"