Baby Showers
Options

Good baby shower intentions gone bad...

I'd love to hear if someone else has had a similar experience of good intentions gone horribly wrong...misery loves company I suppose?

I have been in my current department for about 3 years now.  A co-worker offered to throw me a baby shower.  The company I work for has 6,000+ employees, so I think the ettiquette is a bit different than when I worked for smaller companies (and all employees were invited to a shower).  My old department consists of 15 people only a handful of whom I keep in touch with (and by that I mean casual emails a couple of times a year). 

I ran into my former boss (from 3 years prior) and during the conversation she invited herself to my shower (she had caught wind of it).  Ok, fine.  I also decided to invite two additional people from that department who I keep in touch with.  I asked the boss if she thought I should invite the whole department; I explained that I didn't want to come across as greedy, and didn't want to be rude to my current co-worker that was buying all the food, decorations, etc. She never replied to my message.

A few days after my shower the old department came to my office with some baby gifts...and a lot of agitation at the boss.  I was so stunned by the gifts that I honestly didn't connect all the dots before they left.  Essentitally, old boss invited the entire deparmtent the day of the shower, and never told me she invited them. 

I feel terrible, mostly for people getting their feelings hurt (they are very nice people), and b/c they are mad at the boss when really it's my fault for not inviting them upfront.

Re: Good baby shower intentions gone bad...

• Options

I wouldn't have invited them and I wouldn't have asked my old boss about it either.  When it comes to showers, I err on the side of caution. I DO NOT invite people who I am not relatively close to.  The two people you mentioned, eh, sure maybe.  But past that?  No.

I have to wonder how upset most of these people really were or if they simply felt awkward due to however it was communicated to them by your boss and they felt that "had" to get you something.

Quite honestly, if I got invited to a shower of an old coworker who I didnt personally keep in touch w/, I'd really feel like it was a blatant gift grab. 

My point- don't overthink it. What's done is done and in the end, it is JUST a work shower.  If people are really going to be "hurt" over that, then they are overly sensitive to start with.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Thanks ECB!  You're right...I probably am overthinking things.  (Hormones?)  Am glad to know another logical person would have seen the invite as a gift grab, that makes me feel better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"