2nd Trimester

Excedrin Tension Headache

Hey Ladies ? just wondering if any of you have had any experience with Excedrin Tension Headache and pregnancy? I have always gotten headaches and the only thing that helps is the ETH, however I am a little hesitant to use it during pregnancy. The ingredients are acetaminophen and caffeine (65mg), so I don?t really see the harm but curious if anyone has taken the ETH during pregnancy!

Re: Excedrin Tension Headache

• don't take it! i also get migraines and tension headaches..the dr said not to take excedrin- the only safe thing to take is tylenol, you can take extra strength, just dont exceed the dosage limit. if tylenol doesnt work, your doctor will prescribe you something that is stronger but is safe for the baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started using Excedrin TH around 18 weeks when I was getting a streak of terrible headaches. I discovered it after regular Tylenol was doing nothing for me. It works wonders for me and am thankful it exists! When I take it, I just watch to be sure I'm not exceeding the 200mg of caffeine per day, but otherwise, it is perfectly safe. The only other suggestion my midwife gave me was to take Vicodin (in the case of a migraine), but I am able to ward those off by taking doses of ETH.

• Loading the player...
  • I thought the only recommended OTC headache medicine was ibuprofen (Tylenol)?  I have been suffering from really bad sinus headaches and Tylenol takes the edge off, but thats about all the relief I'm getting. 
    DS1 born 3/30/09
    natural mc @ 10w4d 3/7/10
    DS2 born 9/13/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrs.Albie:
    I thought the only recommended OTC headache medicine was ibuprofen (Tylenol)?  I have been suffering from really bad sinus headaches and Tylenol takes the edge off, but thats about all the relief I'm getting. 

Tylenol is NOT ibuprofen. DO NOT TAKE IBUPROFEN! That is the same as Advil and it is a no-no.

If the only ingredients in Excedrin TH are acetemenophin (spelling!?!?!) and caffeine, then there is no reason why you couldn't take it (unless your dr told you not to have either of those things). Tylenol is acete... however it's spelled. Generally it's safe in pregnancy.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• tbabantbaban member
    I love Excedrin and it's the only thing that really works for me.  However, when I asked my doc about it, she said it's a BIG no-no and the only OTC med that is ok to take is Tylenol.  I don't like it and it doesn't really work for me, but I will do whatever is best for baby.  Talk to your doctor before you take any OTC med.  Better safe than sorry.
  • imagekristyn_h@yahoo.com:

I started using Excedrin TH around 18 weeks when I was getting a streak of terrible headaches. I discovered it after regular Tylenol was doing nothing for me. It works wonders for me and am thankful it exists! When I take it, I just watch to be sure I'm not exceeding the 200mg of caffeine per day, but otherwise, it is perfectly safe. The only other suggestion my midwife gave me was to take Vicodin (in the case of a migraine), but I am able to ward those off by taking doses of ETH.

Caffeine shouldn't be your concern. Ibuprofen is a definite no during pregnancy. I would stop taking it a.s.a.p. and start taking extra strength tylenol and drink a coke. It's the caffeine that usually makes the headache go away. Acetaminophen is the only thing safe during pregnancy.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

BFP #1 3/13/13, MMC 4/17/13, D&C 4/19/13

BFP #2 8/7/13, Beta at 4w6d = 3,796

• Excedrin Tension Headache: https://www.excedrin.com/excedrin-tension-headache-drug-facts.shtml

The main ingredient is Acetaminophen, which is Tylenol (look it up) not Ibuprofen (which is Advil... again, look it up). Advil is NOT ok when pregnant, Tylenol is. Therefore, Excedrin TH would be ok during pregnancy IF your doctor has said that YOU can take Tylenol. The only other ingredient is caffeine, which is well below the acceptable daily intake.

Taking an extra strenth Tylenol and drinking a coke would be EXACTLY the same thing as taking an Excedrin TH.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

• Also, be very careful when dealing with Excedrin.  Other kinds have aspirin in them as well as acetaminophen and caffeine, which is a big no-no.    Just take Tylenol and drink half a soda.
  • imagemabenner1:
    Also, be very careful when dealing with Excedrin.  Other kinds have aspirin in them as well as acetaminophen and caffeine, which is a big no-no.    Just take Tylenol and drink half a soda.

THIS! Read the label and do your research. Ask your doctor. :)

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

• imagemabenner1:
    Also, be very careful when dealing with Excedrin.  Other kinds have aspirin in them as well as acetaminophen and caffeine, which is a big no-no.    Just take Tylenol and drink half a soda.

THIS! Regular Excedrin and some of the other "varieties" have aspirin in it and you can't have that while pregnant. Just read the labels. If the TH variety has only acetaminophen and caffeine then it is perfectly safe, but yes, do limit the amount of caffeine, or like this PP said, have tylenol and a soda instead (which is probably cheaper than ETH anyway!).

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Both my neurologist and OB told me to take excedrin tension headache while I was pregnant.  Just make sure you don't buy the version with aspirin and make sure you are staying below 300 mg caffeine for the day and you are fine.  The only other choices are narcotics.  So I'd rather take the ETH.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAmanda&EricB:

Excedrin Tension Headache: https://www.excedrin.com/excedrin-tension-headache-drug-facts.shtml

The main ingredient is Acetaminophen, which is Tylenol (look it up) not Ibuprofen (which is Advil... again, look it up). Advil is NOT ok when pregnant, Tylenol is. Therefore, Excedrin TH would be ok during pregnancy IF your doctor has said that YOU can take Tylenol. The only other ingredient is caffeine, which is well below the acceptable daily intake.

Taking an extra strenth Tylenol and drinking a coke would be EXACTLY the same thing as taking an Excedrin TH.

This - and I tend to take a Tylenol and drink a soda. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • People confuse regular Excedrin with Excedrin Tension Headache. The Tension Headache is 100% ok, has a bit of caffeine and the same active ingredient as Tylenol. Both of which we already know are safe during pregnancy. Other "versions" of Excedrin have aspirin, that is why some ladies will say No on Excedrin, but the specific on for Tension headaches is 100% ok. I took it and that is the only thing that will work for my headaches.
  • imageellimac608:
    don't take it! i also get migraines and tension headaches..the dr said not to take excedrin- the only safe thing to take is tylenol, you can take extra strength, just dont exceed the dosage limit. if tylenol doesnt work, your doctor will prescribe you something that is stronger but is safe for the baby.

Excedrin and Tylenol are the same thing! Same ingredient, different brand name. Like Motrin and Advil. Your doc is nuts! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageWeWearCombatBoots:

imageellimac608:
    don't take it! i also get migraines and tension headaches..the dr said not to take excedrin- the only safe thing to take is tylenol, you can take extra strength, just dont exceed the dosage limit. if tylenol doesnt work, your doctor will prescribe you something that is stronger but is safe for the baby.

Excedrin and Tylenol are the same thing! Same ingredient, different brand name. Like Motrin and Advil. Your doc is nuts! 

This is not true.  Regular Excedrin has the active ingredient in Tylenol (Acetominophen), aspirin, and caffeine.

• elyndselynds member
    imageAmanda&EricB:

Excedrin Tension Headache: https://www.excedrin.com/excedrin-tension-headache-drug-facts.shtml

This exactly.  Just make sure to read your labels - MOST other Excedrins are an acetaminoophen/aspirin/caffeine combo which would be a SERIOUS no (you can't take any NSAIDs).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"