Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Allergies?

My 4 year old went through a couple weeks of coughing.  She would cough ALL night long, and we took turns sleeping with her because she would just get into awful fits of coughing where she would cry from being so upset or because it would get her gag reflex going and she would almost vomit (and she has a few times).

This has happened in past years, it just seemed like it was any time she had what I thought was a cold, she would cough all night and had a strong gag reflex.  I didn't think much of it, probably because I have only had allergies for a year or two.

My thought though is - DD's cough went away last week - and I felt great too - I think all the rain took a lot of the pollens etc out of the air. Tonight my throat feels sore and I'm congested, and out of the blue DD's cough is back.  Sounds like maybe she has allergies?

Would allergy meds help her cough at night?  I have no experience with allergy meds so just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/similar experience.

Re: Allergies?

• Options

Sounds like allergies to me.  I would take her to an allergist to get tested.  She might be allergic to pollens or something environmental.  If you know what you are dealing with you can try to avoid it.

My guys are on 1tsp of Zyrtec a day, one adds in Flovent (inhaler) and another has a nose spray.  

You could try Zyrtec or Claritin at night and see if it helps.  I would still take her to an allergist b/c she will need to be on meds consistently to keep symptoms at bay.

Good luck - I hope she feels better soon! 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    Talk to your doctor, it could be.  Our doctor prescribed Zyrtec for my boys.  It is over the counter but she gave us the right dosing for the weight.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    Talk to your dr.  Both mine ended up on zyrtec for now -- not much, just 1/2 tspn once daily at night but helps tremendously with the sore throats, itchy eyes and snot factor, especially DS.  Who hates it.  Even with the flavoring, pretty foul.  Probably want to mask it in orange juice, lemonade or chocolate pudding.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"