Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Cleaning Breast Pump Parts

I just bought a electric breast pump about 2 weeks ago. I'm just wondering how other people clean there parts too. Do you use a dishwasher or by hand? Do you wash them after everytime or do you keep them in the fridge to use again? How often to you sterilize them? Do you air dry them or hand dry them. Basically what I'm asking is can you tell me your routine in cleaning all the parts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cleaning Breast Pump Parts

• Options
    I just hand wash after every use, and I toss everything in the dishwasher once or twice a week.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    By lilenatalem at 2012-01-28 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I pump 2 or three times at work. After each time, I rinse the parts quickly with warm water and cover them with a clean towel. I don't have time to wash between pumps. I take the parts home every evening, take them apart, wash in hot, soapy water and let them fully dry over night. Once every couple of weeks, I will boil them along with C's pacifiers to sterilize.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was a mega-pumper since I couldn't nurse...it sucked!

Each time I pumped, I rinsed my parts in cold water (BTW, you need to do this to break down the milk protein; they usually tell you this at the hospital), then hand wash in hot soapy water using Dawn or Palmolive. I did have multiple sets but would only run through the dishwaster when I had a full load.

At work, I pumped 3-4 times, I would use that Medela alcohol-free wipes - because I did it every two hours -I figure if BM is good at room temp for at approx 4 hours - using the wipes are fine, the last pump session I would rinse cold/wash hot soapy water or bring them home and do it.

I let them air dry on a rack and I sterilized all parts (and bottles because I had to supplement with formula) once a week using a steamer tray or bag.

• Options
    I would usually wash them by hand after each use.  I would use the medela steam clean bags once in awhile - honestly can't remember how often.
    Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wash them by hand. I usually rinse the parts off, pull them apart and toss them in the basket to be washed with bottles(which I do by hand). I will sterile them every so often, no real routine to that. I to use the medela sterilizer bags, they are so easy to use. It may not be perfect but it works for me.  I only pump 2-3 times a day. Usually morning and night and we supplement with formula. I hated being a prisoner to my pump! I figure some breast milk is better then none!
    Happy mommy to a sweet baby boy! CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I wash them once a day.  I seal up the parts in a container in the fridge between pumping sessions during the day.  I think I read to do that in the book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding".
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    jessabejessabe member
    I too am a power pumper and I will clean after each session.  I did find however the smaller areas I was getting a build up of milk protein that was not coming clean after boiling or dishwasher, I discovered heating up vinegar to clean the parts.  Just like when you want to clean your coffee maker.  It works like a charm!  
  • Options
    I rinse the bottles in hot water after pumping at work, and use a little soap on the shields and membranes, shake dry, and put them back together for the next pump session (I pump 3X at work).  I then hand wash in hot soapy water at night, air dry on a bottle rack, and sterilize in the dishwasher once a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"