Philadelphia Babies

anyone deliver at bryn mawr?

I am currently with Bryn Mawr Women's Health Associates and not liking them too much.  I hear there is another practice that delivers at Bryn Mawr - Main Line Women's Healthcare.

Do any of you Bryn Mawr mommies have experience with these practices?  

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

Re: anyone deliver at bryn mawr?

• I am a lurker, but I delivered at Bryn Mawr and Main Line Women's Health is my practice.

I had a great experience and really loved every doctor in the practice.  The one that delivered my son was the one I liked least (of course!), but since I didn't like him I think I pushed harder to prove to him how strong I was.

Dr. El Mallah is such a sweet guy!  He has such a soft and gentle bedside manner. He was my favorite! 

Dr. Bernadini had a great perspective on everything as she has been there and done that with her own children.  She will tell you how it is.

Those were my two favorites.  Hope that helps.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • mzovocemzovoce member
    Before switching to the birth center I saw Dr. Joseph Castelli and I know he delivers at Bryn Mawr. I really liked him, but he's not really touchy feely, but I neither am I. Very matter of fact with a good sense of humor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Just curious....why are you not liking them?

I am with them too and about to switch myself for a few reasons.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • pawcallpawcall member

They rush me in and out so quickly I can't get my questions answered.  They don't call back when they say they will, or even close.  In the first month of being a patient, they've already lost my chart and mis-entered my name and birthdate, which caused them not to be able to find me in the computer, and accused me of giving them the bad information (um, no.  I know what my name and birthdate are.)  And then one of the doctors prescribed something that is contraindicated for pregnant women knowing that I was trying to get pregnant. 

So yeah, I won't be continuing on there.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• I am at Main Line Women's Health and Dr. Dein is my primary doctor there.  I have since found out that some of my friends go there and also love it!  I have also referred other friends there and they love it too!  One of my friends had problems getting pregnant and Dr. Dein really worked with her to figure out what would work.  She just had her third child and is a huge advocate of Main Line Women's Health.  For your prenatal appt's they schedule them with all the different doctors that you will be delivering with so that you can meet them in case you get them for delivery.  There is only one doctor that I have not really liked, but I have heard great things about him from other people. 

When I was 32 weeks pregnant I developed hypertension and had to call the doctor off hours because I had swelling in my feet and legs.  They called me back in a matter of minutes and met me at Bryn Mawr Hospital at 11 p.m. on a Friday night for monitoring.  They have been taking every percaution since and have put me on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy.  Along with my weekly prenatal check-ups they have me doing 24 hour urine analysis and blood work every week to make sure I am not developing pre eclampsia.  They have been great and told me to call any time of day if I have any issues or concerns.  I would definitely recommend Main Line Women's Health.

Good luck! 

Irish Mama Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess it depends on what you are looking for in particular for your pregnancy and birth.  I think all offices, practices, and doctors are unfortunately totally capable of making those kinds of mistakes.  Care just isn't really care these days.  They have gotten accustomed to not being allowed that personalized time with patients.  The bryn mawr birth center is much better that way in my experience with my doula clients and talking with other doulas.  Many women, IME, tend to be happier with the midwifery model of care vs. the obstetrical.  
    Lori ~ mom to 2 boys, wife, doula, and childbirth educator - www.delcodoula.com
  • imagemom2tatum:
    I guess it depends on what you are looking for in particular for your pregnancy and birth.  I think all offices, practices, and doctors are unfortunately totally capable of making those kinds of mistakes.  Care just isn't really care these days.  They have gotten accustomed to not being allowed that personalized time with patients.  The bryn mawr birth center is much better that way in my experience with my doula clients and talking with other doulas.  Many women, IME, tend to be happier with the midwifery model of care vs. the obstetrical.  

I agree with this 100%

• imagemom2tatum:
    I guess it depends on what you are looking for in particular for your pregnancy and birth.  I think all offices, practices, and doctors are unfortunately totally capable of making those kinds of mistakes.  Care just isn't really care these days.  They have gotten accustomed to not being allowed that personalized time with patients.  The bryn mawr birth center is much better that way in my experience with my doula clients and talking with other doulas.  Many women, IME, tend to be happier with the midwifery model of care vs. the obstetrical.  

Absolutely!  I had a great experience at The Birth Center.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered at Bryn Mawr and went to Bryn Mawr Womens Health as well. I was lukewarm about both situations and am pretty certain that Ill be switching to a different practice that delivers at Lankenau in the future.

I didnt have any terrible experiences at the OBGYN or hospital, but it just wasnt as personal and attentive as I had hoped for. They had a somewhat sterile, aloof, and nonchalant attitude like this situation was happening to hundreds of women at the same time and it was no big deal...well it was a big deal to me!!  I agree with pp that I expected the level of attention and care typically offered at a birth center or through a midwife. But I also really wanted an epidural and a conventional western medicine hospital birth etc and I couldnt find a situation that combined all of those desires. In the end my experience was fine all around but nothing I would particularly recommend to others.

• I delivered at Bryn Mawr Hospital.  I am with Main Line Women's Health and Dr. Dein is a wonderful doctor and I like most of the doctors in the practice.  I had a horrible experience at Bryn Mawr.  You know it is bad when the President of the hospital is coming in your room to see how you are doing and giving you free food and parking tickets.  Be aware that there are three different practices that deliver at Bryn Mawr and on the weekend only one doctor from all three of those practices delivers.  I had a doctor from a completely different practice and even though there were only two other people in the delivery room when I came in, she decided that she did not need to see me since she did not know me.  I was on bed rest for the last three weeks of my pregnancy due to hypertension and they would not allow me to labor out of the bed due to this.  All day the nurses said that she would come in to see me and she did not.  It was not till I was pushing and having issues, that she finally came in.  She then said that they were going to use a vacuum on me.  I was not happy that she did not give me a choice at all.  She allowed me to have almost a full tear and I also believe that she sowed me up wrong.  Needless to say, I am just glad that I have a happy healthy daughter, but wish things were handled differently.  The President of the hospital did say that her behavior was unacceptable and that she was personally contacting her.  When talking with Dr. Dein about it, he said that in the initial booklet you receive it should say that on weekends you may get another doctor.  It did not and I even had the booklet to show him that it did not.  I hear such great things from so many people and Bryn Mawr has a great reputation, but I think everyone considering delivering there should know that you may got a doctor that is not even from your practice.  I don't want to deter you, but am only telling you this so that you can make an informed decision.  Good luck!
    Irish Mama Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"