July 2011 Moms

Concerts while pregnant

Would you go to a concert at 36 weeks along? The Mr. and I went to a concert about a month ago, and we stood for 3 hours to watch it. I was fine but tired when it was over.

Now two more of our favorites are coming to the city in June. This venue, however, has seating, so that's a huge plus. They are mellow indie bands (Bright Eyes and M.Ward), so it wouldn't be a crazy night.

I would LOVE to go see them (I've seen M.Ward and it was an awesome concert), but I have no idea how I'll feel at 36 weeks.

What would you do?

J+C est. 6.22.08
Adele Lorraine b. 7.13.11

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Concerts while pregnant

• I totally wanna know what people think!!! I want to go to a concert too but it's a week before my due date.  AAAND yes it would probably be a bit more intense than mellow....it's Britney Spears Embarrassed

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I posted a similar question on here and on my Facebook a couple months back when Black Keys tickets went on sale for a show on July 3rd. I'll be at almost 37 weeks and I wasn't sure if the concert would be a bad idea.

Every person that responded said to go for it and that as long as I'm not directly next to a speaker and have an option to sit, it shouldn't be an issue. Also, someone brought up a great point that around that time DH and I are going to be anxious for the PG to be done so it will be nice to have something non-baby related to look forward to. One last date night before the real chaos begins! Also, I figured if something crazy does happen and Baby is born before then or I'm not feeling up to it I know we can get a friend to buy the tickets off us so it won't be a total loss.

Also, another tip, after you get your tickets call the venue and ask them about handicapped seating. They might be able to help you to switch to seats that won't be obstructed if you are sitting the whole time and are easily accessible for bathroom breaks.

Enjoy the show!

• Loading the player...
  • jdm7jdm7 member

I went to see Cake last night -- 33 weeks pregnant, an end seat for me... I can honestly say that I enjoyed the concert but not as much as I normally would've.

It was the first time, in this entire pregnancy, were I was less tolerable of the drunks around me - and the getting up every 10 minutes because people drinking beer pee more than a woman in her 8th month of pregnancy. So the up and down killed me and I wasn't really comfortable. The concert was in an auditorium. Being this pregnant sort of took a way from the fun of the concert, and it was a good concert.

I can't say I'd never do it again, but I might make a cut off be 30 weeks...

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have tickets to NKOTBSB on July 12 and I'm due July 28, so I will be almost 38 weeks.  I definitely plan on going but I'll probably have to play it by ear closer to the date.  Luckily we are in seats that have a good view so I shouldn't have to stand.  I don't want to miss the concert!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i think it would depend on the venue/type of crowd. I went to Bon Jovi (that man never stops being sexy!) at 20-something weeks and stood for most of the time, but we had seats,so if i needed to sit down i could. it was fine, but my legs/feet were definately sore after!

my favorite band was playing last week and i really wanted to go (31 weeks) but knowing the venue - House of Blues, is open admission/standing only and can get very crowded/hard to move, i decided not to go because i get claustrophobic & uncomfortable (mostly because i am really short and tend to get pushed around/stepped on) in those kinds of settings and could not imagine trying to navigate a crowd like that when pregnant. I think if you are at a place with seats, or at more of an open venue where you can spread out, you will be fine!

• I went to Lady Gaga when I was about 24 weeks. I was really concerned with the baby's eardrums. If it's loud for my ears to go numb, what's it doing to hers?Everything said they weren't quite developed yet, but it made me really nervous. It was all I thought about. Comfort wasn't a problem. My H was really concerned for the drunks around that were being especially bouncy. So he couldn't quite focus either. I probably wouldn't go again while pregnant. And it bums me out cause there are some really good ones coming to town. I did also go see Mumford & Sons about a month ago, but that was an open air venue and their music is a little mellower. Not quite as worried.
  • GO!!!! LOVE M. Ward :) In fact, tonight, DH and I are headed to a (gasp!) smoky bar tonight to see The Love Language. We got the set times so we'll only be there for the band we want to see and won't get stuck listening to the opening bands.

On Saturday, DH and I are meeting another couple (my BFF who's also pg) to see Girl Talk. I plan on dancing my butt off! 

I know you'll be further along (and likely more tired), but M. Ward and Bright Eyes should be pretty chill. Plus, if there's seats, I wouldn't think twice about it.

But this comes from a music junkie who plans to purchase noise cancelling headphones for this baby boy as soon as they'll stay on his head :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I say go for it.  Not that it's an exact comparison, but I've been going to the races each weekend since about 30W.  I do have the option of sitting, but spend a majority of the time on my feet doing stuff.  I plan on going to the races as long as I feel good.  I will def. be going up to my 37W because that race is about 15 minutes from our home and a lot of friends/family will be there that I will want to see.  The next weekend however is 4 hours away, so that decission will be made probably after my doctors appointment that Friday, if I'm dilated, if the doctor is okay with me going and on how I'm feeling (the truck that we use to pull the trailer is a big rig with a motor home on the back, so I'll be able to get up and stretch and we also have a bathroom so I'm set). 

I think as long as you have been feeling okay so far along in your pregnancy you should be fine.

• I was really, really dying to go to one at the end of June :( After a lot of consideration though I decided to pass because I just don't think I can deal with the arena seating when I'm that preg. I remember going when I wasn't preg and the whole time I felt like I was going to fall forward- I can't even imagine how I would feel standing there with all the weight out in front of me like this :| 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Jay_CeeJay_Cee member
    imageShannonMacHappy:

GO!!!! LOVE M. Ward :) In fact, tonight, DH and I are headed to a (gasp!) smoky bar tonight to see The Love Language. We got the set times so we'll only be there for the band we want to see and won't get stuck listening to the opening bands.

On Saturday, DH and I are meeting another couple (my BFF who's also pg) to see Girl Talk. I plan on dancing my butt off! 

I know you'll be further along (and likely more tired), but M. Ward and Bright Eyes should be pretty chill. Plus, if there's seats, I wouldn't think twice about it.

But this comes from a music junkie who plans to purchase noise cancelling headphones for this baby boy as soon as they'll stay on his head :)

Yes 

J+C est. 6.22.08

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd go.  I was at a Irish music festival at about 38 weeks last time and enjoyed it, even in the pouring rain.
  • I'm going to a grand opening of a bar and metal venue next month. I haven't seen my local metal bands since November and I am going! But instead of my usual place at stage front, I will be sitting in the back where it's safer and quieter.

(I would've went to Avenged Sevenfold on Friday. It wasn't pregnancy that stopped me....just finances. If I am up to it, I'll go) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jay_CeeJay_Cee member

Well, it is decided (because I know you are all just dying to know this, haha).

The Mr. and I are going and we are using it as our 3rd anniversary date (the concert is a week and a half before our anniversary) and last big night out before the baby should arrive. I'm pretty excited!

J+C est. 6.22.08

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going to U2 this weekend!! I'll be 32 weeks.  The show was canceled last June b/c Bono got hurt, so we've had our tickets for a year and a half! We do have seats, so if I'm uncomfortable and everyone else is standing, I'll just sit.  I also plan on wearing sneakers, and not cute shoes.  DH has scoped out parking so that I'll have to walk the least amount possible.  Were actually going to park away from the stadium and take the light rail.  I'm sure I'll be exhausted after, but it will be a lot easier to go to a concert this year than it will be next year!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Haha, oh geeze, I was waiting for this question to come up.  It's fine to go to a concert.  Just pass on cocktails and any substances being passed around. Ha! Oh, and if you stand throughout the whole show, you'll most def be tired and your feet and back will probably be hurting.
  • Jay_CeeJay_Cee member

imageBritt & Scott:
    Haha, oh geeze, I was waiting for this question to come up.  It's fine to go to a concert.  Just pass on cocktails and any substances being passed around. Ha! Oh, and if you stand throughout the whole show, you'll most def be tired and your feet and back will probably be hurting.

lol, I wasn't asking if it's okay to go to a concert. :) I know it is and I've already gone while pretty pregnant. I was more concerned about going when so far along due to exhaustion or other pregnancy joys I may not be thinking of right now.

Thankfully there is seating at this show, so it shouldn't be too bad. :)

J+C est. 6.22.08

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I say go for it!

We saw Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings and Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears last night, which was a high energy show. This place did have seating and it was very much appreciated by my feet. :) There was a lady in my row due on Friday! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just went to a concert w/ bench seating outside... your lower back might ache, but if you are enjoying the show it might be worth it!

I say play it by ear and go for it if you feel good that day 

• If you are feeling good I would go for sure.  I worked in music when I was pregnant with DS and was on stage by speakers during performances etc.  My son has the greatest love and appreciation for music now.  I think it is great for you and H to have the time to relax and enjoy yourself before LO arrives in addition to the fun your LO will have. 
    Mother to beautiful 7 year old son, and little girl born in July Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will be 10th row at Phish when I am 36 weeks - no way I'm giving that up. The only concern I have is missing parts of the show for extra bathroom breaks!
  • I'm seeing a concert at 37 weeks.  It's the Decemberists, so another fairly mellow evening.  Additionally, the friend who initially purchased the tickets (pre-sale), got us all a private box, so I'll be seated and can stand and whatnot without disturbing anyone.  I talked it over with a number of people, and I'm sure everything is all right.  As long as I have a place to sit, I'm good.  :)
  • I'm going to a Zac Brown Band/Kenny Chesney concert when I'm 37 weeks.  My husband just made sure to get seats on the end so that I don't have to crawl over people to go to the bathroom.  It's kind of been my goal during my pregnancy to make it to the concert, so I've been making sure to take walks regularly so that I'm not exhausted when I get up to our seats.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • seadanaseadana member
    I danced all night at a Prince show in LA last week (32 weeks). Were my feet and belly sore the next day? Yes. (Also swollen ankles). But getting out there and having fun in a safe way is worth it! I've been going to other concerts throughout this pregnancy - and we think we conceived the night of a Ziggy Marley concert back in October!

BFP #1: 10/2011, Pre-eclampsia in last 6 weeks, emergency C-section, DD born 6/25/11

BFP #2: 8/16/14, Ectopic Pregnancy & Methotrexate Inj. 9/5/14, Adverse MTX reaction, HCG levels down after 2 weeks

BFP #3: 2/23/2016, EDD 10/28/2016

• imagejdm7:

I went to see Cake last night -- 33 weeks pregnant, an end seat for me... I can honestly say that I enjoyed the concert but not as much as I normally would've.

It was the first time, in this entire pregnancy, were I was less tolerable of the drunks around me - and the getting up every 10 minutes because people drinking beer pee more than a woman in her 8th month of pregnancy. So the up and down killed me and I wasn't really comfortable. The concert was in an auditorium. Being this pregnant sort of took a way from the fun of the concert, and it was a good concert.

I can't say I'd never do it again, but I might make a cut off be 30 weeks...

I completely agree with this.  I saw Kenny Chesney last weekend, and we had seats, and I even sat for a majority of the time, but it was really late, I was really tired and just didn't enjoy myself the same way as I would have normally.  I still liked the concert, and had fun, just not the same amount of fun, if that makes sense.  I slept most of the weekend recovering Embarrassed

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"