Military Families
Options

Blood Test for Gender Determination

Has anyone had an early blood test for gender determination covered by Tricare Prime?  My doctor says he'll do an ultrasound around 20 weeks but I'm about to be 10 weeks and that seems so far away!  I have two boys and I'm anxious to find out what this one is!  Just wondering if there is a way I can find out earlier.
? PgAL/PAL Welcome ? My Chart ?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Blood Test for Gender Determination

• Options
    Tricare doesn't pay for gender u/s so I doubt they will pay for blood test for gender only. They will pay for the 20w u/s and if you see the gender great but if the baby doesn't show the goods or lack of goods Tricare will not pay for another u/s just to get the gender.
  • Options

I have never heard of a blood test that can tell you what sex your baby is.  The only ways I know of to find out early would be a test like the CVS or an amnio.  Both are minimally invasive and no doctor worth their medical degree would ever perform one for the sole purpose of determining the sex of a baby a few weeks early, and no insurance company would pay for one without medical need. 

Just wait the 10 weeks like everybody else.  It's not that long and it will give you something to look forward to. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageleslie13510:

I have never heard of a blood test that can tell you what sex your baby is.  The only ways I know of to find out early would be a test like the CVS or an amnio.  Both are minimally invasive and no doctor worth their medical degree would ever perform one for the sole purpose of determining the sex of a baby a few weeks early, and no insurance company would pay for one without medical need. 

Just wait the 10 weeks like everybody else.  It's not that long and it will give you something to look forward to. 

Yes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The jack and jill blood test is probably not covered. Do you even know if your lab does it? If I remember correctly it is far and few between.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    I'm very impatient too...just hold out a few more weeks...if you think this 10 weeks will take forever to get here, just wait until your 30 weeks and you're waiting for your due date.

DS-11 years, DD-3 years, DS-born 9/15/10, DD-9/09/11
    You're just giving birth now, you're not mother Earth now
  • Options

imageUberTroll:
    I'm very impatient too...just hold out a few more weeks...if you think this 10 weeks will take forever to get here, just wait until your 30 weeks and you're waiting for your due date.

YesYes

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageleslie13510:

This. my understanding is that these tests are not as reliable as they claim and very expensive. I wouldnt think incurring additional expenses for an already bankrupt government is worth it. GL-- I hope you get whatever sex you're hoping for.
    33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"