Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

If you're strict about your child not watching TV....

I'm just curious... if you're a parent who is really strict about how much TV your child watches, then how much TV do you watch once your child is in bed for the night? Also, do you watch TV when they are napping, etc.?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you're strict about your child not watching TV....

• We only watch shows between 8 and 10 PM for the most part....if I'm getting everything it's 7 hours a week. I get in my workout and shower when she naps so usually the TV isn't on at all during the day. I do DVR my soap, but only watch 2-3 eps a week, so I guess that adds those 2-3 hours. My husband watches far more than I do, his thing has always been movies and TV. I'm more into message boards and books :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Work full time, so no tv during naps, and even when I was SAHM or on weekends, I tend to listen to music, NPR or books.  After DD is in bed, there are some shows that I watch, but most typically i watch those on one night from the DVR.  So most nights, not a lot.  It's not on now and hasn't been all night.
  • Loading the player...
  • DG1DG1 member

I'm not too strict about it, but we generally don't have the TV on, and we definitely don't watch our stuff when they are awake/around. Sometimes I will watch something on the DVR when DH has both boys outside for a while.

Otherwise, it's after they go to bed, and (despite our very best efforts) DS1 doesn't go to sleep until 10:00, so we don't have much left in us to watch too much tv after that.

I used to watch a lot of TV. Now it probably averages 2-3 hours/week. Some weeks it's none.

Thank god for DVRs. I'd probably never watch TV if it weren't for that, just because not much is on when I can watch.

• DH and I do not watch a whole lot of television.  We both work long hours but even on weekends when DS is napping we are usually catching up on errands.  If I do watch TV it's usually about an hour a night which usually consist of news and Nightline...I know, how exciting.  Usually after DS is asleep, DH and I catch up over dinner and veg out on the sofa either reading or the internet. 
  • We're not super strict about it - we do allow some tv but probably no more than 3 hours/week. There are a few shows that DH and I DVR during the week and watch after they go to bed. During naps, well DD hasn't napped for over 2 years, but no I don't really watch tv during the day. Although DH will occasionally watch sports on the weekends if we're home.
  • I'm a total TV junkie.  Ever since I had DD the amount of shows I watch have dropped dramatically but to some folks it may still be a lot.  I watch my shows when she naps and at night.  I'm strict with DD's TV watching (I try to keep it to an hour a day) because I don't want her to be a couch potato like me.  I want her to choose to read a book, draw, play outside, anything active that will stimulate her mind.  I have seen how my social skills have been affected by how much value I put on TV watching in the past.  I would rather DD be in the real world meeting other kids and using her creativity then always getting lost in the TV world.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I watch about an hour a day.
  • I watch TV after the kids go to bed.  I've gone through phases where I watch no TV, but right now, I watch a couple hours each evening (or have the TV on for a few hours while I multitask).

I'm "strict" in the sense that I don't let the kids watch any "kids TV" except in extreme circumstances until they're 2.  Extreme circumstances = both parents are really sick, we're at a hotel and need to keep them quiet for 3 seconds while we get ready, etc.  We've never had an extreme circumstance with DS and he's 13 months now.

I turn on the news for the weather/traffic for a few minutes each morning and I don't shelter the kids from sports TV they might see in the bar area of a restaurant, etc.

Once DD was 2 I started letting her watch a 20 minute Dora once a week. . . by the time she was 3 she was watching 2, 20 minute shows per week. . . when she was 4 it had graduated to one full-length movie per week.  Now that she's 5 it's slightly more flexible.  She generally watches one movie per week and may or may not watch something another day as well.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • I watch a lot of TV when DD is not around. I'm a total hypocrite, but she's 15 months old and I'm not.

• We used to watch a lot of TV but now that we have a kid the time available for TV watching has dropped dramatically. So dramatically that we canceled our cable because there were whole weeks we weren't watching it. Now we watch everything on Hulu and Netflix. Because of this the shows available to us are limited. We have 2 hour long shows we both like, 2 30 minute shows we both like and The Daily Show. I also have another 2 or 3 shows that I'll watch if I'm burnt out and my husband isn't around. So, even if we watch all our shows in a given week, plus a movie it's only like 5 hours/week. We also both work so naptime is not TV time. Although on Saturday I usually fold laundry and watch TV during that nap.
  • dantodanto member

DH and I are huuuge addicts.  As soon as DD is asleep (night or naps) tv goes on and we head to the DVR.  We watch during dinner (our dinner is later than DD's).

It's off 100% when DD is home and awake.

• I dont allow LO to watch any TV. After she goes to bed I usually turn it on when I get into bed and am typically asleep in less than 30 min of turning it on.
  • I have never sat DS down to watch a TV show ever. No, I don't think TV is poison and I actually look forward to introducing DS to things like Sesame Street when he is a little older. When DS was born DH and I decided no TV before 2 years old - there were just too many more important things for him to be doing IMO.

Before DS was born DH and I watched probably 2 hours per day in the evening. After DS was born we got rid of cable all together since we didn't have any time to watch it anyways. Since DS was born we watch an occassional DVD and I sometimes watch about 30 minutes of something from Netflix Instant before going to bed (I can't keep awake long enough to watch anything in its entirety).

I love TV but it was just sucking too much time from my life. It is time that I don't want to lose now that I have a child and our days are so full.

• Hardly any.  We cancelled cable last July, and haven't missed it.  If a particular series interests us, we'll watch it on Netflix after he is asleep, but other than watching the new GoT series once a week, I watch none.  We have a fantastic 55" samsung too, lol - which will be great when we watch movies as a family in a few years :)
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We rarely watch tv and I just got rid of cable about a week ago. SO was enjoying watching hockey leading up to the the stanley cup though...

If we're interested in a series (when LO was a newborn it was TrueBlood, now it is Game of Thrones) we usually watch it online about once per week. Not quite legal, I guess, but oh well.

FWIW, I don't plan an being crazy strict about tv when Sophia is older. I just see no value and no reason to watch it  when she is this young.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm at work while my child is napping but I rarely watch tv.  I use it every day for px90 and I watch a show or two a week like the killing or the good wife.  I watch those two shows after the baby is in bed. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I probably average two hours of TV a week, sometimes three.  Sometimes, DD is with me in the room when I'm watching something like Glee or House (I'm always catching up with what's on the dvr), but she doesn't watch it.  I don't put her in front of the TV for something for her ever, because I don't have any interest in watching those shows just yet (I know I'll have to at some point), and there is too much other stuff to do or play with, and she's generally a relatively independent kid most of the day.

I'm not super opposed to TV for kids, but in very limited quantities, because I think it takes them away from other, more important things, like playing with people, reading (when older), or doing creative things (whether it's art projects or scientific projects).

IMG_8355
  • I wouldn't say I'm strict about Zack not watching TV. It's just that I never turn it on because I rarely watch TV, so he's never gotten into the habit of watching it.

DH turns on the TV after Zack goes to bed (7-7:30) and leaves it on until bedtime. Sometimes I watch with him but most of the time I'm reading on the couch or working on projects. On average, I probably watch 2-3 hours of TV a week.

(Disclaimer: We don't have cable so the only channels we get are the broadcast networks. I would probably watch more TV if we got some of the specialty channels.)

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"