April 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone else feel this way?

Anyone else feel like you have a fussier baby than other people do?

DH and I were watching the Happiest Baby On The Block DVD and kept looking at each other with our eyebrows raised at the "problem" babies used as examples.  Their cries couldn't hold a candle to our little guy's lungs.  Not joking, DH has to wear earplugs when LO gets going because otherwise his ears ring for hours afterward and he gets a headache.  The example babies were also really accommodating even during their upset moments while the two of us literally have to wrestle LO's arms down for safe swaddling because he is really feisty and strong when he's upset.

I guess I also feel insecure about it because SIL truly has what the Baby Whisperer calls an Angel Baby.  This baby tolerates anything and smiles at the world.  When our LO started whimpering for food while SIL was holding him this weekend, she got flustered because she wasn't used to a baby who did that.

LO is sweet and well-behaved when his needs are met and when he's being held and snuggled and we're getting really good at anticipating his needs, but he is very particular at the same time so we have to stay on top of our game  Hopefully he will mellow out as time passes.  In the meantime, however, I just feel sort of alone in having what seems to be a more vocal, particular baby than other people.  I'm also a bit scared to take him out in public.

Anyone else feel this way?

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else feel this way?

• Options

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.  I think we are past the colicky point (seriously keeping my fingers crossed on that one), but we joke that she her hair will fall out and she will become a red-head because of her fiery personality.  She is pissed off-- all. the. time.

There have been a lot of tears on my end, but I keep looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Stephanie Hsu
  • Options
    Ugh, yes. My LO has been fussy since last week. I swear he is fussing becase he's bored! DH tells me I'm crazy but it happens when LO is fed, has a clean diaper, and otherwise has. All of his needs met...then the wailing starts. I try to play and interact but unless I physically move to another area of the house and find something completely novel to play with, he screams.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There is a section in ThE Baby Book by Dr Sears that talks about one of their children who was very demanding. People called her difficult and a bad baby, so they coined the term "high need". The book discusses shifting your mentality about it. My son has been very high need this week, and I have no clue what he needs, so I feel ya. Today he screamed everywhere I went. I just tried to be quick about my business and attentive to him. I wore him in my sling so I had at least one hand free. He settles a little in the sling, and it makes for easy shooshing, patting, etc. Nobody complained to my face. Most people said things like "poor little guy". If they engaged me, I told them he was sick. That was partly true because he was constipated (see my post below for a good laugh), but he's still hysterical and that problem is solved. So, you're not alone.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options
    Yes, I know how you feel. Aubrey has a big, strong set of lungs and she can be a very demanding or needy baby. She makes sure that she is heard loud and clear. This is one reason why I refuse to put her in day care. I worked at a day care and I know how my fellow infant teachers work - the loudest baby is the most unloved and ignored. The thought that my loud baby would lay in her crib screaming most of the day breaks my heart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June Siggy: Fave pic of Aubrey and me :)

• Options

We call our LO the she-devil... she goes purple almost instantly and the screams - wow, herv lungs are amazing. I remember hearing your own baby`s cries don`t sound as bad, that`s BS!! I am so hesitant to take her out in public because the she-devil shows up at different times and is unpredictable. We have been for a few visits and lots of walks but I`d be terrified to do a restaurant, movies, stores... hopefully with time, she will chill.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I feel the same way!  There are days when H is an angel, but she's big on fighting sleep and catnapping instead of just getting a good nap in.  She's all about making herself heard!  We haven't done much unless I can anticipate it will be a good nap day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"