Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Labor: How horrible was it?

3rd tri lurker here.

I've pretty much just tried to not think about delivery up until now. Or maybe the thought really just didn't stress me out. OB seems to think LO could be here within the next week or so. I find myself really nervous. Now it hits me that this baby has got to come out somehow. lol. I fully plan on getting an epidural. I've always thought I had on okay pain tolerance up until getting my cerclage stitch removed today with some embedding. I can't think of a time in my life that I've ever experienced true horrible pain. I've had two past surgeries and 13 stitches done. No broken bones or anything. Anways, to the point. I'm imagining the worst pain ever in the world to where I want to be put out of my mysery...

How horrible was that pain? If you had an epidural did it help a great deal?

TIA!...I'll be posting over here soon ;)

Re: Labor: How horrible was it?

• Options
    As soon as they lay your baby on your chest you forget everything. It's really not that bad. Just remember to relax your body through the pain, I think that is what helped me the most. You will be just fine :)

Photobucket
    Landon & Porter
    1-10-07 & 5-11-11
  • Options

are you looking for a sugar coated answer or the truth?  lol

truth:  it is the worst pain you'll go through in your life.  Contractions are the most intense pain, pushing is incredibly painful.   Keep in mind I had my DS without drugs *NEVER AGAIN!!

but....  it is true what PP says... once you see your baby it is all worth it

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

yep, I wanted the truth!

Oh and as far as the relaxing advice..after the cerclage removal pain today and freaking out through the first embedded stitch coming out I told myself I needed to go to a happy place and relax. It really did help a lot through the removal of the second stitch. DH even asked if the second one hurt less because it seemed like it. I know it's a shabby comparison to labor but it really motivates me to go research labor relaxation techniques some more..

• Options
    imagebreezy79:

truth:  it is the worst pain you'll go through in your life.  Contractions are the most intense pain, pushing is incredibly painful.   Keep in mind I had my DS without drugs *NEVER AGAIN!!

oh and I hope your experience this time is much better!

• Options
    imageAprilLynn09:
    imagebreezy79:

oh and I hope your experience this time is much better!

thanks! I'll definitely be going with the epidural this time!  :)

• Options

Truth: It was horrible... water broke at 9pm, got to hospital around 10 - walked around, no contractions - - - easy easy easy - - - started meds at midnight - visitors at that point (I should have slept) - 3am pain began and did it come fast - 4 am intense and wanted epi - got epi, life was great - tried to sleep but nurses in and out all the time - husband snoring (ugh get used to that when you feed baby at night) - 8 doc came in said we were about ready - 930 doc reentered and we began pushing - 1030 doc was putting me on emergency C list because baby not moving through birth canal very well - - - - I heard the word vacuum and screamed get it - - - mom crying, husbands head down not looking at me in pain - - - 6 pushes (meds way gone by now) with 6 vacuum attempts - baby born at 1040 - - - - baby given to NICU because of vacuum but doing great - - - finished pushing out other junk - - - 22 STITCHES and 12 weeks later still pain when I sit on my butt the wrong way - and still not approved to have sex.... ugh - O and did I mention I hemoraged that 1st night and had then entire medical team from my floor in my room, more ultrasounds, my doctor had to come back in - - - lots of blood or how my husband put it "it looked like a murder scene" but I would do all of it again!!!!

and YES get the epi, even if you want a natural birth you might just get it because it will taper off while your pushing (usually).  But it was nice and rest was much needed. 

2nd EDD 02/01/13 - MC 5 1/2 weeks 6/5/12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My first was a natural birth that I would do any day of the week for my baby. It was managable and totally bearable. The second was induced and I honestly thought I am going to die in pain. I took an epidural half way through and it took only half but then it was managable again. But again, as soon as you have the baby in your arms everything is just distant memory!
  • Options
    Honestly, I thought it was fine. I got the epi when it got to be too much and didn't ave pain while pushing. I was told I had a great epi. Recovery has been far harder for me than the birth. The worst thing I experienced was having them place the iv.
  • Options
    well, here's the thing I labored and delivered my DD with no pain meds and loved it. Was it the worst pain I've ever felt? Yes. conractions really were like menstrual cramps from hell. pushing was exhausting, and the "ring of fire" literally felt like someone had a lighter to my vagina. That being said, I'd do it again, exactly the same away. There is one thing I want to tell you though and that is that if you work yourself up about it it will be more painful and harder on your body. the most important thing you can do to prepare for labor is to relax your mind and body. the epi with obviously force your body to relax in a way, but... your body can't open up andpush your baby out efficiantly without your help. the more tense you are the higher your risk of medical (and painful) intervention.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    I Bump from my phone 90% of the time, with a baby in my lap, so please excuse my bad format and poor spelling and/or punctuation.
  • Options

I was induced, and had my water broken by a Dr.  My contractions were pretty strong (maybe due to the pitocin?)  My OB was very understanding, and she didn't make me wait for the epi.

I asked for the epi early.  You have to sit still, and I didn't want to hit the point during delivery where I couldn't sit still or I was past the point of being able to receive an epi.

I ended up with an emergency c-section since E's cord was wrapped around his body twice.  I think his blood pressure was dropping when I pushed, and the OB let me push for 2 hours before calling for a c-section.  That's when we learned he had the cord wrapped around him.

I had a great anesthesiologist.  She waited around until my epi worked, and then upped the dose when I could still "feel pain."  They also gave me a button that I could push to temporarily up the dose.

I honestly don't remember too much about that day.  I was alert during the c-section, but all the meds kept me from feeling pain. It was uncomfortable, though.

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Everyone's experience is different. I trained for birth using self-hypnosis (Hypnobabies self study course, specifically), and I had a 4-hour labor and delivery, including 15-20 minutes of pushing, and only had a first-degree tear...with no pain medications until I had some Motrin after having my baby. I know that sounds braggy, and I'm not saying I wasn't lucky or that hypnosis took care of everything or that my baby's birth was pain-free (it wasn't), but it's not necessarily the case that birth is an unbelievably painful experience for everyone.

Anyway, try not to let yourself be afraid. I've never had a cerclage, but I would imagine cerclage-removal pain is different than labor pain, so I wouldn't use that as a baseline. It will be intense, but intensity is expected when your body is working another body out of it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    vflipovflipo member
    It was tolerable until I hit transition. Then, I caved and got an epi. Then, it wore off and it felt good to push. Then, I met my baby and it was amazing. My labor was long, even with being induced at 3cm and going without any pain less for 18 hours. Total it was 28, and only about 8.5 of it near the end was with an epi.
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • Options
    I was induced on due date, and had been in early labor for 3 weeks.  I was in official labor for 21 hours.  They induced me because I ended up having pre-e, and my blood pressure was through the roof.  Most of the 21 hours was not horrible, other than the having to stay in bed, and be connected to the oxygen.  Everyone was worried, and it could have gone south easily, but I feel that I was in good hands.  I did get an epi, and hated it.  My blood pressure dropped, and not in the good way, when they inserted it.  Once it was there, and going I stopped feeling my legs, which I expected.  But one leg was worse than the other.  The last 3 hours was the worse, because the epi had worn off in the most important area and no matter how many times I pressed the stupid button there was no fixing it.  I remember being very fixated on that button.  For the last 3 hours my contractions were off the chart, clocking in at 220 to 230, and I felt every.single.one.  When it came time to push, every one expected me to push for 2-3 hours and end up with a c-section.  I proved them wrong, and 38 minutes later my daughter was born, without a doctor in the room.  She was on her way up, it was 7:38 in the morning.  She had wanted the nursed to get me started for the long morning everyone expected.  When she was born, the cord was wrapped around her neck 3 times.  The doctor walked in at the perfect time, and saved the day.  I had 3 tears, one of which was a 2nd degree.  I fully believe that I have a medicated natural birth.  I felt everything when she came out, but at the same time other than the last 3 hours I really did not feel much.  It was a weird experience, and one that I pretty much do not want to go through again, but...  I would not trade Chelsea for anything.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Truth: For me, it really wasn't that bad for the most part.I had my LO on a Monday mornings. On Saturday, I woke up to contractions. They weren't bad. They felt like menstrual cramps. There was no pattern to them, so I didn't time them. On Sunday, they were 10 minutes apart all morning. I called L&D, and they said they tell women to wait until they're 3-5 minutes apart for an hour. DH and I went for several walks. My contractions picked up, but never were consistently 3-5 minutes apart. By Sunday night, they HURT and were anywhere from 3-8 minutes apart. I called L&D again because I was so uncomfortable. They again told me not to bother coming in.  DH went to bed, and I stayed awake to time the contractions. At this point (midnight-ish), I was curled up on the floor in a ball. I woke up DH, and we went to L&D. They checked me and I was already dilated to 6cm. The nurse was like, "Oh wow, you should have come in earlier." I almost hit her in the face.

I was admitted quickly and got an epi. After the epi, I really didn't feel much of anything. I fell asleep for a little bit. When it was time to push, I couldn't tell when I was contracting, so they had to watch the monitors and tell me when to push. I had a small tear and didn't feel that, either. I had a really good anesthesiologist and I hope to goodness he is still working and happens to be on duty whenever I have another LO! Hahaha! :)

• Options

I went natural, and simply there is no way to prepare yourself for what the pain is like. Its horrendous. BUT you can prepare yourself in how you'll try to cope with it, whether with an epi, iv or relaxation. Personally, I was able to use relaxation breathing for maybe half of it (10 hour labor), the second half I just sat in the dark and whimpered my way through till it was over. Pushing was way harder than I thought; like making yourself run as fast as you can into a brick wall. BUT again, you get thru it and the SECOND your LO is out, the pain stops immediatly and the next three months (so far) will be the best most amazing of your life. For a week, you'll obsess about how awful labor was, retell the story over and over, by two weeks, you'll be saying 'it wasn't that bad', by three weeks, you'll be calling it 'manageable' and by four, you'll be ready to do it again:) 

Women have babies on their own in fields all over the world. Thats what I kept telling myself; if they can squat out a baby and get back to their day, and your body is made to do this, than I could get through it too. Labor is really cool - its an experience you'll never totally understand till you go through it, and once you do, you'll see the world a little differently. Good luck! 

• Options
    iris427iris427 member

I had a med-free birth this time.  It hurt a lot, especially crowning, but then it was over and I had a baby in my arms.  

My first was a Pit induction.  That hurt way more than my natural labor, but I was fine once I got an epidural.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be honest... I don't know how I could have done it without an epidural. I really admire women who do it naturally because once my water was broken, I really couldn't stand the pain. DH said I was starting to zone out. The worst pain for me were two really severe contractions that I had while the epidural was being administered. For me, the epidural helped tremendously! I was numb but could still feel pressure. By the time I was ready to push it had worn off slightly so the actual delivery was somewhat painful, but more exhausting than anything else. Good luck! You will be fine. Just remember to breathe!

• Options

For me, the pressure was the worst because not even the epi took care of it.  It was a little better when I was relaxed, so if you stay relaxed it will help.  

Also, I truly think that the post partum recovery is worse than the birth.  After you have your baby, it's done...but the pain after is worse because it goes on for days!  Some advice: as soon as you pop that kid out, take stool softeners (and keep taking them) so that when you go to the bathroom it won't hurt as bad.  Also, the longer you wait to go, the worse it will be. Trust me.  I couldn't for 5 days...I wish I would have in the hospital before I went home.

In the end, you will get through it one way or another.  A supportive labor coach and nurses make all the difference in the world. 

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It does hurt.  I tried without the epi and I ended up needing it.  I was using just a pain med through the IV, which numbed everything EXCEPT where I was having labor pains ha ha

It is wonderful once you have the epi, tho.  I was able to chat up a storm with the interns once I had it when prior to the epi I couldnt even think about talking.  When they let you walk around the hospital to help urge labor on DO IT!  Once you're down it tends to get painful.  Before that its just like bad period cramps (at least for me).

You really can't describe what it feels like, even after or during feeling it.  I've tried and I really am glad that my brain doesnt remember the exact feeling.   Besides, it's different for everyone.  Yours can be a walk in the park :-}

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I didn't think my natural contractions were all that bad, I was able to breathe through them. But the pit contractions I got after my labor slowed down were absolutely terrible. The epi took care of all the pain from those though and I was even able to sleep through transition. I didn't think the epi itself was painful to get, in fact I don't remember any pain from it. Pushing and crowning were the most intense pain I've ever felt in life, that's 2.5 hours I don't want to relive.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Options
    I didn't associate labor with pain. It was definitely intense but if you just trust your body to do what it is supposed to do I think that helps immensely. Now the "ring of fire," that sh!t hurt! Then it was over and I got to hold my DD.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was in the minority where the epidural didn't seem to decrease my pain at all even for the contractions but I've heard from other people how amazing and great it was and how they felt very little so hopefully you will be in that category. The pain was insane but already it is hard to recall exactly how bad it was, I think my husband can remember it much more than me since I think your brain just blocks it out. When they finally pulled the baby out it was like the worlds biggest feeling of relief EVER and what is what I really remember best. Just remember that you will get thru it, you body knows what to do, it will be over and you'll have your baby in your arms, you just have to focus on the results not the process.

The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • Options
    chicsubchicsub member
    It hurt and I was happy when it was over, but it was pain w. a purpose so I found it more tolerable than some dental pain I had years ago.  Pushing didn't hurt one bit, it was crazy, but true!  I went med-free up to 9 cm with #1 (ended in c/s and that post-partum pain was worse than any labor pain) and completely med-free with #2.  Relaxing through the contractions and having a good support system helped me tremendously.  GL!  It's funny b/c just this morning I was reflecting back on labor and thinking that it wasn't nearly as painful as I always imagined it to be. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Mine wasn't that bad, not nearly as bad as I thought.  I had never been in the hospital before.  I was only in active labor for 8.5 hours (first baby).  I had pitocin and after about 4 hours, the contractions became unbearable and I got the epidural.  I was fully dilated after another 4 hours, pushed for 30 minutes and that was it!  Had a small tear.  I was really nervous about the recovery.  I kept up with the Motrin and was a bit sore and the bleeding is pretty gross, but all in all it wasn't that bad.

Edit: you may want to ask for the epidural before the contractions are unbearable.  I didn't know that they'd make me get a bag of IV fluid before they could give it to me, which took a loooong 30 minutes!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagelilmommalcw:
    As soon as they lay your baby on your chest you forget everything.

I disagree with this statement.  I haven't forgotten it. At this point in time I never want to go through it again.  However, I will say that I am glad about the end result.  My LO is awesome. :) 

I think the thing that helped me the most was knowing that at some point, it would end.  I didn't know when the end was, but I knew it was coming.  

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • Options

I didn't get my epidural until I was fully dilated:( the labor contractions were bearable at home...they really hurt but I could breathe through them. once I got to the hospital, I was 3-5 cm already and they started getting worse. The only way I got through pain was to close my eyes and breathe. forget that awesome jacuzzi in my room, labor ball,walk-in shower.... I wasn't moving for the life of me. when that contraction came, it knocked me to my knees. also squeeing things was enjoyable;) my husbands hands...the siderails of bed.

I got a dose of iv pain meds and finally got the epidural and it was like a light appeared in the room. I could finally look around and experience what was happening. I had really wanted it earlier but anesth. was tied up for a c/s. I wanted to sing after I got it and name the baby after the resident:) 

• Options
    I was so afraid to have my baby it wasn't even funny. Every day I had a new scenario about crazy things that could happen. Then labor...wasn't so bad :) I think I'd worked my self up so much it was easier. Relaxtion is key but even more important than that...epidural!
  • Options

I was terrified of the pain of birth in the days leading up to LO's dd but the actual birth wasn't as bad as I thought, I actually thought pushing was the most enjoyable part of the whole labor (I did have the help of an epi though). By the time it was time for me to push, the epi had worn off a little, as it should, and I could somewhat feel what was going on down there, minus a lot of the pain. I could feel the contractions again though, but pushing through them felt like a relief to me. But that's just me...

Now labor on the other hand, that was painful. In the beginning the contractions hurt but you just get through it. After they ruptured my membranes, that is when the contractions intensified and I was in serious pain. Soon after that I got 2 epi's, first one was administered incorrectly so they sent in an actual anesthesiologist and not a student like they did the first time (NEVER AGAIN). Once I got the epi, I felt a million times better. To me, it was totally worth it. I just don't have any tolerance for pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

I was terrified of having my son...especially the few weeks before I deliever.  He was my first ad i have to say I would do it again!

It was painful but not unbearable...until transition.  I had an epidural and it did not work on the right hand side but finally they dosed me enough to where it would take.

Lastly...I only took the 600 mg of Motrin after delivery.  I had a 2nd degree cut andit hurt most in the fist 72 -96 hours after delivery. 

Honestly...it is true...you forget the pain.  I kept telling myslef that there is a reason women do this...and in fact it's true!  Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had an epi, and the whole thing was super easy.  I think they turned it off near then end.  I felt pain with pushing but it really wasn't that bad.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Options
    I also got an epidural and I must say it really wasn't that bad.  Once I got the epidural I was able to rest up and the contractions felt like pressure...no pain.  Even the pushing, while tiresome, was not painful.  My only regret was not getting the epidural sooner.
  • Options
    It was fine for me until they put me on pictocin to speed everything up (water broke at home).  Then after about an hour and a half of getting my dosage upped, I had horrible contractions followed by equally horrible back contractions so there was no down time.  And I was only dilated to 3cm.  Then they let me get the epidural (which I had been opposed to a first).  It was AMAZING!  It let me get prepared for labor (2 hours) which were not as much painful as exhausting.  I felt very little until I pushed LO out and then I ripped internally and externally and that was the most horrible thing I have ever experienced.  Then it was over and she was there and I forgot everything again.  And then there was the recovery...
  • Options

My plan was to try med-free. That last until I was about 7-8cm. I can't describe the pain (because it's true what they say, once you're holding the baby you completely forget about the pain) but I do remember not being able to open my eyes. SO tells me that I snapped at people not to even touch me.

After the epi kicked in, it was like I was a totally different person. I was talking and being social with everyone. It was so good that my doc was cracking jokes and making me laugh, WHILE I WAS PUSHING! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • Options

Kaeti-Su: Your experience sounds very similar to mine. I also used Hypnobabies and had a quick and complication free delivery. 

The pain isn't an "injury" pain, it's a productive pain. I would encourage anyone to work on their relaxation techniques- find what works for you- breathing, toning, a focal point. Also, having a positive attitude towards labor helps a lot. Don't be afraid, it's the most amazing thing you'll experience in your life...and YOU CAN DO IT! :)

• Options

Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. I had no medication at all, and a third degree tear, and a OP (face up) baby in a sort of bad position to deliver - so I'm not just saying it because my experience was ideal.

People experience pain really differently. There were times when I was in a lot of pain, but I knew it would pass within a few seconds. To me, that was a lot more tolerable than the time I had a toothache. The constant, low-level pain was much worse than the intense but short lived pain of labour.

• Options
    I didn't have any meds, but when I look back at it I think of it as being incredibly intense pain, but not unbearable.  The two times when I thought I was going to cave and get the epi was because I was anticipating the pain getting worse, and it didn't.  Once the contractions got going, for me they didn't get more painful, they just got longer and closer together, and I was able to manage that.  The pushing part actually felt good!  Once he was out, all of the pain was immediately gone and nothing mattered anymore but the little guy in front of me.  It definitely sucked for a little while, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    ncbellencbelle member

Horrible isn't a word I associate with my labors - after all, it results in a pretty swell baby.  Yup, it hurt (both were med free) but it was towards an end so that made the pain manageable.

And it's very true you forget how it feels as soon as baby is out ;-)

• Options
    Honestly, it was bad, but it wasn't unbearable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I think a lot of it is about preparation and attitiude. That's not to say that your attitude will change the level of pain you do or do not experience, but try not to be afraid of it. Your body was made to labor and deliver your baby! Millions of women have done it before, and millions will do it after you.

It certainly wasn't pain-free, and since I was induced, the pitocin made the contractions come on faster and harder, but it wasn't unbearable. I asked for the epi after 11 hours when I was 6 cm dilated because baby wasn't dropping at all. Her official station was marked as a -4 lol!

As for the epidural, I had a very positive experience with it. It relaxed me and completely took away the pain.

Good luck! :)

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options

I was going to be induced, but ended up going into labor about 5 hours before I was suppose to get to the hospital. The contractions were pretty bad, probably the worst pain I've ever experienced. I ended up having to get a c-section. Every time I pushed, LO's heart rate dropped to about 50 and was stressed. But the pain of the contractions didn't matter the moment I got to hold her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"