Pregnant after IF

any success stories about 5 follicles and IUI??

Hi all ... are there any success stories out there that people want to share with me about 5 follicles and IUI... my DH and I have been trying for over a year after a vasectomy reversal after having a vasectomy for 15 years and were dealing with male factor infertility.  Yesterday (May15th) we went through our 3rd IUI (first 2 with Clomid and this one with 150 IU Follistim).  At the monitoring appointment the morning of the trigger shot we were told we had 5 definite mature follicles and possibly another 3 that could go ... also we were surprised to find out that his sample after the enzyme wash was 40 million sperm per mL with 90% motility!!  What an awesome shocker!!  We are now in the horrible 2 week wait and I am trying to keep my head high because I feel great this time... somehting feels different and I would really love ot hear some success stories right now to keep my spirits up ... anyone out there??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: any success stories about 5 follicles and IUI??

• That's a lot of follies. A girl on TB fairly recently went through with an IUI with 6 mature follies after years of trying and ended up with sextuplets. I really hope something similar doesn't happen to you, but I would consider finding a new doctor if he suggested going continuing with the IUI like that. That was an incredibly irresponsible thing for your doctor to do.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Ditto Papps!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • So you had a potential 8 mature follies and a great sperm sample and went ahead with it?  Indifferent  That's so very irresponsible of you and your RE (you are seeing an RE, aren't you?) to have gone ahead with this cycle.  I really hope that you don't end up with more babies than you can handle, for your sake and theirs.
  • imageSunshine05:
    So you had a potential 8 mature follies and a great sperm sample and went ahead with it?  Indifferent  That's so very irresponsible of you and your RE (you are seeing an RE, aren't you?) to have gone ahead with this cycle.  I really hope that you don't end up with more babies than you can handle, for your sake and theirs.

Yes

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imageSunshine05:
    So you had a potential 8 mature follies and a great sperm sample and went ahead with it?  Indifferent  That's so very irresponsible of you and your RE (you are seeing an RE, aren't you?) to have gone ahead with this cycle.  I really hope that you don't end up with more babies than you can handle, for your sake and theirs.

Um, yeah.  Your doctor needs his license revoked.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• My RE had said that the chances of conceiving even 1 was only about 20%... and of that 20% chances of conceiving twins was 20%... but only 6% chance of triplets and lower for higher order multiples ... I am not looking to be the next octamom,... I just want a baby and if he thought I was in danger I don't think he would have went forward with the cycle... this was my first follistim cycle... and we couldn't afford to move onto IVF... my DH and I spent a lot of time thinking it through and the risks are there but are minimal ... and we may not even have one ...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you had that many mature follicles (with others that would probably catch up), it was not responsible of your doctor to continue with the cycle for you. Especially with the infertility issues being with your husband, and not you....and his sample being great for this IUI, you are looking at a very good possibility of high order multiples...which in turn means you may have to have some very serious discussions with your doctor and your husband. Are you open to selective reduction? Can you handle high order multiples if you aren't open to reduction? Then there are the health issues for you and babies that crop up with high order multiples. Lots to think about...

That being said, I did an IUI with 2 mature follicles and 2 that had the potential to catch up. However, I wasn't told about the 2 that had the potential to catch up until my first ultrasound to see how many babies we had in there. THAT freaked me out. I was comfy with 2 mature follies. The thought of 4...that worried me. I ended up with 1 baby in this pregnancy from that.

I wish you the best of luck, and highly recommend finding a more responsible doctor in the future. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SAIFW
  • imageSunshine05:

I agree.  At first, I didn't think much about given the MFI.  But then your sperm sample was great - better than ours and we really only had slight MFI.  I don't think I would have done the IUI.

• imageL&R70707:

imageSunshine05:

Um, yeah.  Your doctor needs his license revoked.

ALLLL of this. Seriously. Medical malpractice.

DX: Severe MFI 
    IVF # 1 ~ Antagonist ~ ER 1/27/11~ ET 1/30/11 ~ + HPT 7dp3dt 
    DD born med-free on 10/24/11 
    Lilypie - (lZjk)
    IVF # 2 ~Antagonist ~ ER 6/5/13 ~ ET 6/10/13 ~ + HPT 4dp5dt 
    Lilypie - (OUlo)

• imagemckiernk:
    My RE had said that the chances of conceiving even 1 was only about 20%... and of that 20% chances of conceiving twins was 20%... but only 6% chance of triplets and lower for higher order multiples ... I am not looking to be the next octamom,... I just want a baby and if he thought I was in danger I don't think he would have went forward with the cycle... this was my first follistim cycle... and we couldn't afford to move onto IVF... my DH and I spent a lot of time thinking it through and the risks are there but are minimal ... and we may not even have one ...

Do these odds sound wrong to anyone else? I thought that the odds of conception for an average, healthy couple (which with that sample, this would qualify) was about 20% a month with ONE follicle. Bueller? Bueller?

DX: Severe MFI 
    IVF # 1 ~ Antagonist ~ ER 1/27/11~ ET 1/30/11 ~ + HPT 7dp3dt 
    DD born med-free on 10/24/11 
    Lilypie - (lZjk)
    IVF # 2 ~Antagonist ~ ER 6/5/13 ~ ET 6/10/13 ~ + HPT 4dp5dt 
    Lilypie - (OUlo)

• I don't think anyone here is trying to be rude, but your RE/doc seriously is insane if he didn't present any risks to you - let alone to even go through with the IUI!!!  I had 3 mature follies and that was our limit (and my RE's and they still presented the risk of multiples).  I'm really sorry that you have such an irresponsible doctor and I wish nothing but the best for you.
    TTC since 11/2009
    11/2010 DH SA good...01/2011 HSG is clear...01/2011 Consult with RE
    suprise BFP but m/c on 2/7/11
    03/2011 50 mg clomid=BFN
    04/2011 clomid+bromocriptine+IUI=BFP at 11dpiui
    Beta #1(11dpiui)=33, Beta #2 (13dpiui)=96, Beta #3 (20dpiui)=1910, Beta #4 (26dpiui)=20,134
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemckiernk:
    My RE had said that the chances of conceiving even 1 was only about 20%... and of that 20% chances of conceiving twins was 20%... but only 6% chance of triplets and lower for higher order multiples ... I am not looking to be the next octamom,... I just want a baby and if he thought I was in danger I don't think he would have went forward with the cycle... this was my first follistim cycle... and we couldn't afford to move onto IVF... my DH and I spent a lot of time thinking it through and the risks are there but are minimal ... and we may not even have one ...

There are risks and they're probably not minimal. You do realize that your 8 follies could all fertilize, right? I can't believe your RE went ahead with your IUI. My RE (and all responsible ones) will cancel if there are more than 3. Yikes.

TTC #1 since 7/09
    Dx: LPD, underdeveloped follicles, blocked left tube
    3 C/P, 1 BO, 1 Ectopic
    IVF#1=BFN (3/11)
    FET#1=BFP
  • Whoa!  That is a LOT of follies/potentials!!  I'm shocked you were allowed to go forward!
  • imageSunshine05:
    Ummm, this.
    ::PAIF/SAIF Welcome::

TTC since July 2008
    IUI 1,2,3 BFN
    IVF #1 C/P, FET 1,2,3 BFN
    IVF#2 BFP

it's a girl!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ME!!! We had 5 mature follicles and 2 that could have possibly been big enough. Our sperm count was 10 mill. I am 10 weeks 3 days pregnant with one baby.
  • etoyamaetoyama member
    Whooaaa. That's too many follies IMO. I've never heard of an RE going ahead with a cycle like that. My RE almost canceled mine when I had 3-4 (and no MFI). Hoping for the best for you, though.
  • mieslmiesl member

Ummm, holy crap.

Good luck with that. 

Husband has cystic fibrosis. I'm a carrier. We did TESE, IVF, ICSI, and PGD. After two failed IVFs, we were blessed with our twins.

• SLPMelSLPMel member

I can give you four success stories.

Jon and Kate-had over 6 follies, triggered and did TI (after the RE told them not to) and have six babies.

Quints by Surprise-they had five mature follies and used frozen donor sperm, and have five babies.

I did a Clomid cycle with 2 follies, and got pregnant originally with three babies.

There is a very recent poster on T-TTC (today or yesterday?) that went through with 1 follie, and they have four babies on the ultrasound.

I had no success with two previous IUI's with 1 follie.  Thought our chance was low with two follies, and somewhat bad timing on the IUI-but surprise, there were three!

Someone has to fall into the statistics.  You can't assume you won't be the 1% that gets pregnant with triplets (or more!). 

One more thing to think about-If you can't afford IVF, how the heck would you afford 3 or 4 babies??

• You and your RE took a big risk.  Those odds don't sound "minimal" to me at all, and I've done a lot of research before doing many, many IUIs.  This could go either way.  I hope you get lucky and end up with 1 or 2 fertilizing, but you really should proceed with much caution if you choose to stick w/this doctor, and educate yourself about the risks involved in cycling with 8 possible mature follies.  Good luck...
  • My RE made it seem like a very slim chance that this can happen I have to admit ... you guys are scaring me a little!!  and in response to the not affording IVF I meant if we did IVF it would be the last thing my insurance would cover and then the rest would be out of pocket... sorry I should have been more clear...

And wow... 4 babies on u/s with only 1 good follie... I guess God will let me know what I am suposed to do, however, my husband and I did decide that if more than 2 we would selectively reduce... but only if we have to

Thank you for all of your responses ... Good luck to you all with the process already started .. I wish for a happy and healthy 9 months and delivery etc..

• The day of trigger for our BFP cycle we had 1 follie at 22 and one at 18. That was it
  • imagemckiernk:

my husband and I did decide that if more than 2 we would selectively reduce... but only if we have to

this makes me sad 

• SLPMelSLPMel member
    imagemckiernk:

My RE made it seem like a very slim chance that this can happen I have to admit ... you guys are scaring me a little!!  and in response to the not affording IVF I meant if we did IVF it would be the last thing my insurance would cover and then the rest would be out of pocket... sorry I should have been more clear...

And wow... 4 babies on u/s with only 1 good follie... I guess God will let me know what I am suposed to do, however, my husband and I did decide that if more than 2 we would selectively reduce... but only if we have to

Thank you for all of your responses ... Good luck to you all with the process already started .. I wish for a happy and healthy 9 months and delivery etc..

It would make me question my RE and the information that he is giving me.  My RE actually apologized to me when we saw the three babies on the ultrasound-she said that she would have never let me go through with it if we thought the third would catch up (it was at 14 when I triggered and we actually saw that only two had O'd because we did the IUI after I O'd).

This is a great article to read:  https://www.advancedfertility.com/revmultiplescoh.htm  

"HMG is injectable FSH and LH hormone, similar to the brand name drugs Menopur, Bravelle, Follistim and Gonal-F.

The 179 HMG pregnancies included 20 (11.2%) twin and 13 (7.2%) triplet or higher-order implantations"

"In this study, pregnancy as well as triplet and higher-order implantations (but not twin implantations) were related to the number of follicles that were over 12 mm in clomiphene, HMG, and clomiphene + HMG cycles, and to E2 levels in HMG and clomiphene + HMG cycles.

When values were below critical levels of six or more follicles >12mm, four or more follicles >15mm, and E2 levels >1000 in HMG and clomiphene + HMG cycles - and six or more follicles >12mm in CC cycles - triplet and higher-order implantations occurred in less than 1% of cycles and in less than 5% of pregnancies. When values were above these critical levels, triplet and higher-order implantations occurred in 2.8% to 3.2% of cycles and in 12% to 14% of pregnancies.

The incidence of three or more implantations was identical in clomiphene and in HMG or clomiphene + HMG cycles when six or more follicles were >12mm. However, six or more follicles of >12mm occurred in only 5% of clomiphene cycles compared to 38% of HMG and 27% of clomiphene + HMG cycles."

• imagemsjcordova:
    imagemckiernk:

my husband and I did decide that if more than 2 we would selectively reduce... but only if we have to

this makes me sad 

Yeah, it kinda makes me sick. Doing an IUI with 8 follicles just because you're "okay" with selective reduction is sickening. SR is done after 12 weeks when they actually LOOK like babies on an u/s. Not only are you reducing babies because you were irresponsible, you're also risking the babies you don't reduce.
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • JenCWJenCW member

You have a HORRIBLE RE.  Our first round of IF, my RE spent months on finding the right combo/dosages of meds to make certain this didn't happen.  We cancelled plenty of cycles when the response was too high.  As frustrating as it is to stop a cycle, it is nowhere near as frustrating as learning of the odds after-the-fact.  Shame on him/her.

We did injectables, trigger and TI with two mature follicles.  One fertilized egg randomly split, and that's how we ended up with triplets (two identical, one fraternal).  So, even with a low follie count it is still possible to get multiples.  Selective reduction is a major decision and poses its own host of dangers, so it should not be entered into without very careful consideration.  I had no interest in entertaining the idea! 

I can't imagine what your REAL odds are (not the phony ones your doctor gave you).  It's too late to change things now.  All that you can do is hope you are not the statistic.

• imagefallbride110406:
    imagemsjcordova:
    imagemckiernk:

this makes me sad 

Yeah, it kinda makes me sick. Doing an IUI with 8 follicles just because you're "okay" with selective reduction is sickening. SR is done after 12 weeks when they actually LOOK like babies on an u/s. Not only are you reducing babies because you were irresponsible, you're also risking the babies you don't reduce.

I agree with the above.. omg this situation makes me sad... and to selectively reduce?? WHAT?!?

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• When can you test?

Are you testing out your trigger?

• manu1manu1 member

Ladies we join this board not be judged but for support. mckiernk i was in a similar position last month. it was my sixth try and my doc let me go in with 8 follicles for iui. of course every doctor will give you the reduction talk not that you have to do it. nature can also take care of thinks. just like the lady with sextuplets on this board her three were way behind and nature took care of things.

so please dont be quick to judge and point fingers. at least show some empathy coz you just dont know what other ppl are dealing with.

some rude comments can be kept to the side especially in this stressful journey of infertility. that is just my two cents.

and am glad to announce as i was also judged just alittle more than two weks ago i got a beta of 98 and it doubles to 298. i go next week for an ultrasound, so those who judged me can follow up on my story to see how many implanted.

thanks and good day

• MSaksaMSaksa member
    imageSLPMel:

I can give you four success stories.

Jon and Kate-had over 6 follies, triggered and did TI (after the RE told them not to) and have six babies.

Quints by Surprise-they had five mature follies and used frozen donor sperm, and have five babies.

I did a Clomid cycle with 2 follies, and got pregnant originally with three babies.

There is a very recent poster on T-TTC (today or yesterday?) that went through with 1 follie, and they have four babies on the ultrasound.

I had no success with two previous IUI's with 1 follie.  Thought our chance was low with two follies, and somewhat bad timing on the IUI-but surprise, there were three!

Someone has to fall into the statistics.  You can't assume you won't be the 1% that gets pregnant with triplets (or more!). 

One more thing to think about-If you can't afford IVF, how the heck would you afford 3 or 4 babies??

WELL SAID! 

Dx Anovulatory PCOS Clomid,Ovidrel,TI=BFN IUI#1-#3 Femara,Ovidrel=BFN IUI#4-Gonal F,Ovidrel=BFN IUI#5-Gonal F,Ovidrel= BFP!! Beta #1 11dpIUI=34, Beta #2=131,first u/s 3/14=1 perfect bug with a heartbeat! Anderson Phillip, Born 11/2/11 7lbs 10oz 21in. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MSaksaMSaksa member
    imagefallbride110406:
    imagemsjcordova:
    imagemckiernk:

this makes me sad 

agreed! that is a disgusting way to look at conceiving! 

Dx Anovulatory PCOS Clomid,Ovidrel,TI=BFN IUI#1-#3 Femara,Ovidrel=BFN IUI#4-Gonal F,Ovidrel=BFN IUI#5-Gonal F,Ovidrel= BFP!! Beta #1 11dpIUI=34, Beta #2=131,first u/s 3/14=1 perfect bug with a heartbeat! Anderson Phillip, Born 11/2/11 7lbs 10oz 21in. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemanu1:

Ladies we join this board not be judged but for support. mckiernk i was in a similar position last month. it was my sixth try and my doc let me go in with 8 follicles for iui. of course every doctor will give you the reduction talk not that you have to do it. nature can also take care of thinks. just like the lady with sextuplets on this board her three were way behind and nature took care of things.

so please dont be quick to judge and point fingers. at least show some empathy coz you just dont know what other ppl are dealing with.

some rude comments can be kept to the side especially in this stressful journey of infertility. that is just my two cents.

and am glad to announce as i was also judged just alittle more than two weks ago i got a beta of 98 and it doubles to 298. i go next week for an ultrasound, so those who judged me can follow up on my story to see how many implanted.

thanks and good day

FYI, the person that I was talking about had to selectively reduce... nature did not "take care of things." People aren't being rude, they are being concerned. What her RE did was dangerous and irresponsible. We are warning her that she may want to look for a doctor that is a little more concerned with his patients and their well-being. 

m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • imagemanu1:

thanks and good day

You realize that all this proves is that there's more than one irresponsible doctor/patient in the world, right?  It's not just the mother that can suffer with a high order pregnancy/birth.  Those babies can be born so prematurely that they'll have lifelong medical problems or die.

Sorry, but I have no empathy for people who go for irresponsible and "fix it later" instead of sitting out a cycle.   

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • you guys act like the only reason we went forward was because we are ok with SR which makes me sound like a monster.  The last thing I would want to do is reduce but I have a 5 year old I need to think about and any babies that we do conceive if any to think about as well ... I know how they SR and it is horrible...If we have to do that I will have to live with that forever and I don't take that lightly... not at all.... All I set out to do with this posting was to look for support and success stories and I found myself being judged and ridiculed for a decision I was told had a very high chance of not resulting in even 1 baby nevermind multiples >twins... I am sorry that some of you think I am being irresponsible and maybe my doctor should have been a little more conservative with my cycle and I will definitely talk to him about that ... however, I was looking for support to help me through the waiting that we all have to go through and to hear success stories... not to be judged... no offense but I am excited and so hopeful and I need to hear supportive and successful stories to help me stay positive.  I am sorry I posted this at all ... Good luck to you alll ... I wish healthy and happy babies for all of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"