Los Angeles Babies

Looking for OB/GYN who supports natural birth in Valley/Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena

Hi LA ladies...

I had a disturbing 20 week appointment with my current doctor last week. I brought up the fact that I'd ideally like to have a natural birth (no meds) and my dr basically laughed at me and made it completely apparent that not only does he push epidurals and episiotomies, but probably has a C-section rate in the 50%. 

By no means am I saying natural is the ONLY way to go, it's completely a personal choice. Who knows, I could get in there and change my mind! BUT, I really need to feel like I can trust my doctor to respect my desire for a natural birth and not be put in a position of being bullied when the time comes. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a doctor that you feel is open to no meds unless medically necessary? I hate having to switch doctors, and I kinda feel guilty for leaving him?!? He's been my doctor for years, and is respected in Burbank as one of the "BEST". But maybe just not for me...

THANK YOU!

Re: Looking for OB/GYN who supports natural birth in Valley/Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena

• I'm sorry that I don't have an answer for you, but we're in the same boat (well... I'm only 4 weeks along, but still) 

I go to UCLA OB/GYN and have for years, and while I love the idea of their midwife group, I live way out in Pasadena now and don't like how far away that is.  I was going to start looking around in Burbank so I'll watch this thread closely.

Can you say who your doctor was or is that bad form?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

• Dr. Mark Dwight at Good Sam was my OB and fully supported my choice to go natural - his nurses are accustomed to not even asking if you want drugs, and refer to any movement as "pressure" never "pain".  He has many patients who practice the Bradley Method. I can't say enough good things about him.

I've also heard positive things about Dr. Ronald Wu at Glendale Adventist, but can't speak from personal experience.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor is good. Dr. Dawn Cashie is in Burbank. She's on Alameda right across the street from Providence St. Joseph.

I am having a natural delivery and she is very supportive. I hired a doula and brought the doula to one of my appointments and she's totally on board. I just gave her my birth preferences and she was very open. I even wrote in my plan that I don't want to be offered drugs. She just explained that in some scenarios, if something goes wrong I may not get all my wishes and I told her baby's health and safety first. I just want to discuss my options if we have to deviate from plan.

But she said she wants to support me in a natural delivery and our communication has been really good. 

She doesn't offer a whole lot of information which I thought was kind of weird at first (I'm 38 weeks now), especially since I'm a FTM. But she answers ALL of my questions and does not rush out the door (only once because she had a patient going into labor)

• If you don't mind going a little out of your way there is Dr. Rebecca Perlow. She is highly supportive. I had a natural delivery with her at Providence Tarzana. She even recommended a doula to help.I loved her.
  • I live in the valley (Van Nuys) and I went all natural at Cedars Sinai. My OB isn't taking new patients, but another doc in the practice (Dr. Jessica Schneider) assisted my doc on my external version and also delivered a friend on mine's baby naturally. she is amazing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"