Nebraska Babies

Daycare costs?

Hi - my husband and I are going to be TTC this summer, and I was hoping to get some information from the other ladies here.

My husband's work offers daycare, and it's supposed to be wonderful (he works for Union Pacific in Omaha) but it's $300.00 per week! Is this normal? Or is it way too high? I like the idea of our baby being close by if something happens, but I don't want to be robbed blind either. At that price, my entire paycheck will be going to daycare!!

Can any of you give me an idea as to what reasonable charges are for newborn and infant daycare in Omaha? Also, if any of you have experience with Union Pacific's day care center, would you recommend it?

If you have any recommendations for other daycares, I would love to hear about them. We live in South Omaha (42nd & L Street area), and we both work downtown. I wouldn't want to drive clear out to West O every day. . .

Thanks - much appreciated!  

Anniversary

Re: Daycare costs?

• I've heard UP CDC is wonderful, but $300/week is very high.  I've usually seen $100-$200/week for an infant ($100/week at an in-home up to $200 at a chain type daycare, ie. Kindercare).
  • I too work at UP and use the UP daycare.  It is more expensive then most daycares but you do get what you pay for.  It is ran by Bright Horizon (who also runs the FNB daycare).  I like the reassurance that I know my baby is safe because they are affliated to work. 

My son is 7mos old now but has been going there since he was 3 months old.  They do an education program for the kids vs just feeding and changing their diapers.  They do sign language and it is crazy that the kids pick it up.  You can always request a tour to see the faciltiy.  Last year when I was pregnant they actually had a waiting list to get in - so that is a good sign that it is a good daycare.  They have 6 infant rooms with 8 infants in each room - so alot of babies!

It will help with pickup and dropoffs with both of you there.  Both my hubby and I work at UP.  UP does have a Dependent FSA deduction that your husband can setup for payroll deductions.  He would have $416.67 deducted pretax each month and then he files a claim to get reimbursed from Payflex (as after-tax dollars) to offset some of the daycare costs.  So that helps to lower your cost for daycare, too.

Good luck in deciding! 

• Loading the player...
  • wow! Thanks for the great information! I will definitely have to share this with my husband...Big Smile
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"