Military Families

Northern Virginia / D.C. Area - Finding other new mommies

Not sure how this board works, but are any of you in the Northern Virginia / D.C. area?

At Belvoir, they gave me numbers to sign up for the classes, which we will do. Have any of you met any other mommies-to-be? I'm interested in finding a good resource for this. Are there new mommy groups on base? I am three months with first baby and this is so new to me.

We live off base and husband is active duty but works in a suit in an office (typical for D.C.).We've never had the opportunity to live within a Post.

Thanks, Andrea

P.S. You can message me on here for Facebook.

Re: Northern Virginia / D.C. Area - Finding other new mommies

• I'm in NoVa - doing the same thing as you, as I've realized how few other expectant moms I know. I'm active duty out of Quantico, so not far from Ft Belvoir at all. I'll send you a PM. :)
  • Thanks so much. I know a couple, but they are all super busy moms with 3+ kids! Added you.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am also in that area, my hubby is stationed at Bolling AFB. But I havent taken any classes to meet other new mommys yet. There is a bunch of women on base who are all pregnant though.

• I live in Stafford. It's about 30 miles south of Ft. belvoir.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • IlumineIlumine member
    Have you looked into your base's MOPS group?  You can find them through the Chapel. 
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • imageIlumine:
    Have you looked into your base's MOPS group?  You can find them through the Chapel. 
    This is a good way to meet other expecting and moms. . . Unfortunately, at least the two MOPS groups I am aware of are winding down for the summer. I would contact them, though and see how many meetings they have left and when they start back up in the fall. I recall that there is a MOPS program at Fort Belvoir.

We live in NoVA, but moved here when LO was ten months old, so I did not go through any of the prenatal programs or classes in the area. This does not help you right now, but one way that I have met friends is through JW Tumbles classes (kind of like Gymoree classes). LO enjoys himself, and I have met a few nice ladies.

I know that different towns/neighborhoods have Yahoo groups, have you looked into things like that?

We live off post and my DH has an office job (thankfully, he still wears his ACUs to work)--but there is very little done to support or connect the families. It is much more like if my DH were a civilian. On one hand, it is nice, but, it would be nice to have *something*. Granted, my DH works with a lot of contractors, there don't seem to be many green suiters. Fortunately, I lived in NoVA for 8 years before marrying my DH, so, moving back here was like moving home for me.

Good luck with finding your place. It takes some effort and, IMO, you are wise to be thinking about this before your LO's arrival, but once s/he arrives, you'll find out about things you hadn't known about or thought of. It will work out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm on Bolling too. I've got a brood of kids, so I am not a "new" mom, but I'm always up for hanging out :-)

DS-11 years, DD-3 years, DS-born 9/15/10, DD-9/09/11
    You're just giving birth now, you're not mother Earth now
  • Thanks. I will def. look up the MOPS groups and look for more of the resources. You're right that if your husband is in an office, it can be just like being a civilian, especially if you're off base.

Luckily, we have an okay support group of friends, but a lot of them are in different stages in life (mostly older) with families. My church is in Mount Vernon - 90% military/gov but most of them are like 65 year old ret. GEN's wives, literally.

It would be great to meet others that are a little younger. Thinking about how it would be cool for Baby to be around other babies...

Feel free to PM me for a FB add.

Andrea

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"