3rd Trimester
Options

Can you swim dilated?

I heard that you can't, and I'm almost ready to break my pool in for the summer. I forgot to ask my doctor. It sounds odd to me that you can't.
Jenny BabyName Ticker

Re: Can you swim dilated?

• Options

I am almost 2cm's dilated 50% effaced and I went swimming yesterday.. It was awesome.

The "fear" about swimming when dilated is that you could be leaking fluid and not know it. If your just going to be taking it easy lounging in the pool, I don't see why you should worry. Its freaking hot outside!

• Options
    i don't know.  i never thought about it.  i've been swimming 1-2 times a week, so thanks for bringing this up!  i go to see the doctor wednesday, i'll ask then.  i'll be 35 weeks then, so i need to know!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister just told me yesterday that she believes you're not supposed to take a bath/swim once you have started dilating because you/your baby can get an infection?? I suppose it makes sense, but then again, couldn't you get an infection anyways with being "open" all day no matter what you're doing?? Suppose it's a good question to ask a doctor. :P

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well, you can take baths, so I don't see why not.  The same would not be true if you were dilated and your water had broken--although there's the whole water birth thing, but anyway...I'd say you're fine until that happens--otherwise, enjoy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I remember reading that there is a point where you shouldn't but can't remember if it's once you started dilating or the water breaks. Call your doc. The risk is an infection....
  • Options
    I did prenatal aerobics along with 12 other women all the way up to delivery last pregnancy.  My dr. had not problem with it.
  • Options
    11kacey11kacey member
    Some doctors have issues with taking baths AFTER your water breaks.. but all those water births do just that. I highly doubt swimming or bathing after you start dilation poses any risk. After all, many of us on this board won't even get an internal unless mandated by our doctor/midwife.. therefore we wouldn't even know if you were dilated.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageP0upette:
    I remember reading that there is a point where you shouldn't but can't remember if it's once you started dilating or the water breaks. Call your doc. The risk is an infection....

Not a doctor and don't know the answer ... but IMO, it should be fine if you've still got your mucous plug and your water hasn't broken. It seems like the mucous plug is there for protecting baby against infection ... and even if you lost that, your water bag's still there to keep the baby protected. I feel like once your water breaks/you start leaking though, you don't have those barriers, so you'd be at a greater risk for infection -- and the doctor would probably want to have you deliver within a reasonable time thereafter, for that concern.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    people do water births. yes, you can go in the pool....
  • Options
    In our birth class, we were told the restriction was once your membranes ruptured. Dilation is fine - but once your water breaks the risk of infection shoots up. I'd say swim - it's great for you in so many ways! This bed-restin' mama is jealous of those in the pool this week...  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As long as your water has not broken, you can swim. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"