April 2011 Moms
Options

Help me settle a bet...

My kids have names that are more on the unique side, we did that on purpose. We're both teachers and found too many names held memories of former students and just wanted fresh names for our kids. So Sawyer and Hudson are our name choices. Today I got a gift for the boys in the mail from my cousin - one gift was for baby Hunter. Close? Yes, but it's not Hudson. I was a little annoyed I'll admit. We aren't super close but close enough that she should know my kid's name.

DH and I got into a discussion where I said unique names are more memorable because everyone I've encountered has sort of thought about their names, repeated them and then commented. Most often I've heard people say something along the lines of that name is "different" 

DH says that their names are more easily forgotten because they are unique. Since they aren't your typical Michael, John, etc. names they'll just fall right out of memory. 

So what do you think? Unique = Memorable or not so much?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help me settle a bet...

• Options
    I think unique names are definitely more memorable. I've not had anyone forget Linus' name so far. :) Well... except for my poor grandmother who keeps calling him Lion. Yes, lion like the animal. Poor grandma...
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Options

Sorry, but I have to side with your husband on this one.  I'm the type of person who has trouble remembering names and faces even when the names are common and normal.  Add in a "unique" name, and I get even more confused.  We know someone who named their baby girl Marley.  I'm constantly fighting the urge to call the kid Molly.  Because Marley just doesn't quite register unless I really think about it.  It's just not a normal kid name to me, you know? 

Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

sorry I can't settle your bet.  I think something like PP's Linus is memorable because it doesn't sound like anything else or resemble a more "common" name.  But our name Brynleigh, people always mess it up and call her something similar. 

• Options
    There are 2 different kinds of unique. There's just unique and then there's people who think they're being unique but their kids name looks and sounds like something they made up with scrabble letters. I agree with you. Normal unique is memorable - but I could understand a misspelled unique name (Reid, Reed, etc). It's the crazy 'unique' names you forget.

FWIW I love your boys names :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June Siggy: Fave pic of Aubrey and me :)

• Options
    imageyesthisiskim:
    There are 2 different kinds of unique. There's just unique and then there's people who think they're being unique but their kids name looks and sounds like something they made up with scrabble letters. I agree with you. Normal unique is memorable - but I could understand a misspelled unique name (Reid, Reed, etc). It's the crazy 'unique' names you forget.

FWIW I love your boys names :)

See I was going to say the opposite. Hudson and Sawyer are unique, but not weird so I can see them getting mixe up with something close (what's his name, Samuel, Sawyer, etc). Totally off the wall names like la-a (which I've been told is pronounced LaDasha are names I don't think you forget. That being said I HATE when people who shouldn't mess up your name and I think your kids have great names. I told DH I want Hudson on our list next time. DH thinks common names are more easily forgotten.
  • Options
    Thanks for the name lovin ladies!
  • Options

I think unique names are more memorable. (I might be biased.) But when I meet someone new if their name is something like (no offense to anyone with these names) Jennifer or Stephanie, the second time I meet them, I panic, "What was her name?" and then every common name comes to mind--"Was she Jennifer? Stephanie? Michelle?" etc., etc.

Also, it's just easier for people to "find" you if they need to. When people email me and ask if I'm "the writer, Shaindel Beers," I wonder how many Shaindel Beerses they think there are? I totally friended the wrong writer Michael Palmer on Facebook once. Totally embarrassing!

That's probably not going to happen to Sawyer, Hudson, or Linus :-)

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I think it depends on how the individual person feels about the unique name.  I am more likely to remember (and tell DH later) about a unique name I heard and didn't like.  That being said I would think that if someone knows your family they should know your kids names whether they are unique or not.  If you had two boys who had non-unique names then they might still confuse them.  I think it is just ignorance on the part of some people. 
  • Options
    I have to agree with your husband too.  I think different names are easily forgotten.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think they're harder to remember because you don't hear them often. Like, if it was Michael, I know so many Michaels that if someone I knew named their child that, I'd immediately remember because it's a name I'm familiar with.

DH's cousin named his boys Hudson and Keaton. It took me several times being told to remember Keaton's name. Of course, I wouldn't have sent a gift without double checking to make sure I had his name right!

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"