April 2011 Moms
Options

Stroller walking with furbabies: a little encouragement

I noticed a few people said in the weight loss vent post they were hesitant to walk with their dogs plus a stroller. I was terrified but finally decided to give it a try since I haven't been outside much due to a month of consecutive rainfall. My 75 lb lab (puppy) who is normally a terror on a leash (but excellent at everything else, I swear) was an angel walking with the stroller. It was like someone replaced my dog. I was amazed. We can walk every day if he keeps this up. So if you're nervous, maybe you'll get a miracle like I did. Just bring lots of treats.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Stroller walking with furbabies: a little encouragement

• Options
    Scout05Scout05 member

I have a 70 lb puppy. There is no way I could stroller walk her by myself. DH and I take a walk with the baby and the pooch when he gets home from work, and if my mom can stop by to sit with LO for a bit, I take Scout out for a solo walk whenever I can.

She's not bad on the leash, but she loves people more than she loves to breathe, and if someone walks by she goes nuts with excitement. I know it would be unsafe for her, the baby and me.

That being said, I love our family walks. It's fun!

• Options
    I had some balls last week, and decided to walk my 2 Berners (95lbs and 70lb puppy) with the stroller. It was much better than I had anticipated. While they normally pull and run off in 2 different directions, they paced the stroller and constantly checked that the baby was still in there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemichavid:
    I had some balls last week, and decided to walk my 2 Berners (95lbs and 70lb puppy) with the stroller. It was much better than I had anticipated. While they normally pull and run off in 2 different directions, they paced the stroller and constantly checked that the baby was still in there.

You have 2 Berners! I also have a Berner and am looking forward to going on walks with him and baby. We just need some nicer weather out here to go. Berners are such great dogs.

• Options
    mrambo3mrambo3 member
    We have a 100 pound lab who pulls with only me. We decided to buy a gentle leader and it's like he's a completely different dog. He walks right along next to me. And we've gone on plenty of walks just baby, dog and mommy and he's been amazing. :)
     Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageScout05:

I have a 70 lb puppy. There is no way I could stroller walk her by myself. DH and I take a walk with the baby and the pooch when he gets home from work, and if my mom can stop by to sit with LO for a bit, I take Scout out for a solo walk whenever I can.

She's not bad on the leash, but she loves people more than she loves to breathe, and if someone walks by she goes nuts with excitement. I know it would be unsafe for her, the baby and me.

That being said, I love our family walks. It's fun!

When I go with DH, the pup and baby our dog is a wild man. Somehow he got it when it was just me. I was blown away. I thought for sure we'd be around the block and back home. I am looking into a gentle leader harness for him for our family walks though since apparently he struggles when Dad is there. (Obviously you should do what is safe for everyone, I was just so shocked that my beast and I walked productively for 45 minutes). 

• Options
    imagePolishsGirl:

imagemichavid:

You have 2 Berners! I also have a Berner and am looking forward to going on walks with him and baby. We just need some nicer weather out here to go. Berners are such great dogs.

They really are the best! We got the puppy 2 days before we found out I was pregnant :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"