13»

Re: Can we do an UO Thursday?

• imageTheAnne:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imagegigismomma:
    imageSheenaNash1:

imageTheAnne:
    I will never agree that it is ok for your mother/sister/aunt etc to throw you a shower.  I will also never approve of a baby shower for a second baby.

Can you elaborate on why?

I'm curious too...???

It is bad etiquette to have a party and dictate that the guest bring you gifts.  Your family is considered an extension of you, therefor it is like soliciting gifts.  I know this is old fashioned etiquette that is not always followed anymore.  Still bugs the crap out of me.  

So you are saying a shower/party in general is bad etiquette...I guess so are birthday parties for children, bridal showers, etc. etc. Where I am from, gifts are optional, but I for one am thrilled beyond belief when I get to shower friends and family with gifts for any occasion that deserves to be celebrated.

Oooh, and triple whammy, all three of my sisters plus one friend hosted my baby shower. My sisters hosted my all girls bridal shower. My sisters will likely hold a family only (them and my mom) baby shower for baby #2 when and if I am blessed. (I also co-hosted their bridal and baby showers). Surprise Mercy me!!!

So you are going to pick a fight with me because I posted my UNPOPULAR OPINION on an Unpopular Opinion thread....?

She wasn't picking a fight. She was posting HER opinion. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageTheAnne:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imagegigismomma:
    imageSheenaNash1:

imageTheAnne:
    I will never agree that it is ok for your mother/sister/aunt etc to throw you a shower.  I will also never approve of a baby shower for a second baby.

I'm curious too...???

It is bad etiquette to have a party and dictate that the guest bring you gifts.  Your family is considered an extension of you, therefor it is like soliciting gifts.  I know this is old fashioned etiquette that is not always followed anymore.  Still bugs the crap out of me.  

So you are saying a shower/party in general is bad etiquette...I guess so are birthday parties for children, bridal showers, etc. etc. Where I am from, gifts are optional, but I for one am thrilled beyond belief when I get to shower friends and family with gifts for any occasion that deserves to be celebrated.

Oooh, and triple whammy, all three of my sisters plus one friend hosted my baby shower. My sisters hosted my all girls bridal shower. My sisters will likely hold a family only (them and my mom) baby shower for baby #2 when and if I am blessed. (I also co-hosted their bridal and baby showers). Surprise Mercy me!!!

So you are going to pick a fight with me because I posted my UNPOPULAR OPINION on an Unpopular Opinion thread....?

Who is picking a fight with you? Confused I commented, there is a difference. I am not bothered by your opinion at all.

My Little
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMissMusic:
    Bottled water is the biggest scam that marketers have ever invented.  I get so mad when I see people buying cases of water and if I'm having a bad day, I actually have to restrain myself from telling them how I feel about ruining our environment AND wasting money at the same time.

As a plumber, my husband has forbidden tap water from the house. If we don't have filtered water, we drink bottled. You don't want to know what's in tap water.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • imageMrsDixie:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imagegigismomma:
    imageSheenaNash1:

imageTheAnne:

I'm curious too...???

I would say that for a "party" gifts are optional, but for a shower, the point is to bring gifts ('shower' the bride or mother-to-be with gifts) which is why there is usually a registry.

Right, but it is appreciated, not expected. IMO.

My Little
  • imageOutOnALimb55:
    imagepsychgirl33:
    imageOutOnALimb55:

I have a co-worker who always says "I'm giving 150%".....No no you're not the most you can give is 100% .  I'd like to get 150% of my 100% paycheck please...

Oooh!  Me, too!  Smile

Nice chart!!!

Thanks!  Embarrassed

Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imagegigismomma:
    imageSheenaNash1:

imageTheAnne:

I'm curious too...???

Who is picking a fight with you? Confused I commented, there is a difference. I am not bothered by your opinion at all.

UPO isn't flame free.

But curious - my sister was my MOH. So was it inappropriate for her to host my shower, when it's generally expected that that's what the MOH does? Or likewise, was it inappropriate that I hosted hers as her MOH? Because the girl wouldn't have had a shower if I hadn't hosted one. Her bridesmaids were all under the impression that it was the MOH's job, and I, as MOH, just happened to be her sister.

I do agree that I give the side-eye to moms hosting, but it's pretty common that brides have their sister in the bridal party, and the bridal party is a generally accepted group of hosts.

P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
  • imageTheAnne:
    imagegigismomma:
    imageSheenaNash1:

imageTheAnne:

I'm curious too...???

I am certainly not trying to pick a fight, but I would like to express my opinion.

I have to say that I think this etiquette rule is ridiculous. Sure, we can spout off things like "nobody is entitled to a shower," and "gifts are nice but should never be expected." But we all know that when someone in our culture(s) gets married or has a first baby, it is the norm to buy them gifts. It's what we do, and I'm sure most of us would be disappointed if we didn't get a shower, and at least some of our friends/relatives would wonder why there wasn't one, or at least some kind of celebration. So why pussyfoot around it like it's some big taboo thing? What's the difference if mom throws it, sister throws it, aunt throws it or best friend throws it? If you're going to go to the shower and give a gift regardless, does it REALLY matter who the host is? 

FTR, my friend threw me a baby shower for my first, so this isn't coming from me trying to defend myself. But if she didn't, and my mom decided to throw one, I can't imagine that ANY of my friends would be judgemental about it because that's just dumb. And frankly, I think expecting a friend to step up and do it, when a family member might be more financially able to or might have a bigger house to accommodate it or whatever, is strange. 

In conclusion, MY unpopular opinion is that so many etiquette rules are just dumb and impractical and completely PHONY, and they give us excuses to judge people who are supposed to be our friends and should be comfortable enough around us to not have to follow stupid, archaic rules. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think over-achievers are annoying. I give 100% while I'm at work and do absolutely everything that is expected of me, however I will not volunteer to be on any committees because I have a husband and a son who are more important to me than a job that, to be honest, doesn't give a rats a$$ about anyone, or the extra effort you might put into doing a good job.

The "newbs" at work are trying to take over and be extra productive and kiss arse and it's REALLY getting on my nerves! There is no polite way to tell them that the company we work for is completely resistant to change and their sad attempts at coming in and making a difference will be shot down and brushed under a rug.

It's been a bad week, can you tell?
  • imagenatalie8784:

wearing heels with shorts looks ridiculous.

Agreed! Unless you enjoy looking like a character straight outta "My Name is Earl."

TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imagegigismomma:
    imageSheenaNash1:

imageTheAnne:

I'm curious too...???

UPO isn't flame free.

But curious - my sister was my MOH. So was it inappropriate for her to host my shower, when it's generally expected that that's what the MOH does? Or likewise, was it inappropriate that I hosted hers as her MOH? Because the girl wouldn't have had a shower if I hadn't hosted one. Her bridesmaids were all under the impression that it was the MOH's job, and I, as MOH, just happened to be her sister.

I do agree that I give the side-eye to moms hosting, but it's pretty common that brides have their sister in the bridal party, and the bridal party is a generally accepted group of hosts.

My sisters are my best friends. They were in my wedding party, my sister was the MOH. I agree mom's should not host them, but I certainly wouldn't judge if they did. To each their own, but methinks she is going to be pretty sad if no one offers to honor her in that way.

My Little
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imagegigismomma:
    imageSheenaNash1:

imageTheAnne:

I'm curious too...???

UPO isn't flame free.

AND THIS and neither is FFFC! Stick out tongue

My Little
  • imageMySweetBaboo:
    imagebrookelynpaisley:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imagegigismomma:
    imageSheenaNash1:

imageTheAnne:

I'm curious too...???

UPO isn't flame free.

My sisters are my best friends. They were in my wedding party, my sister was the MOH. I agree mom's should not host them, but I certainly wouldn't judge if they did. To each their own, but methinks she is going to be pretty sad if no one offers to honor her in that way.

My sisters are my best friends too! I only had my sisters and DH's sisters in my wedding party, so friends hosted my shower. I agree with the bolded part, but I also do not think sisters, as close family (maybe closer than a mother in some cases) should host, but as you said, I wouldn't judge if they did. Certainly if someone wasn't going to get a shower otherwise then they should have one regardless of the host.

ETA: typo

• imageMommy2Grayson:
    I think over-achievers are annoying. I give 100% while I'm at work and do absolutely everything that is expected of me, however I will not volunteer to be on any committees because I have a husband and a son who are more important to me than a job that, to be honest, doesn't give a rats a$$ about anyone, or the extra effort you might put into doing a good job.

The "newbs" at work are trying to take over and be extra productive and kiss arse and it's REALLY getting on my nerves! There is no polite way to tell them that the company we work for is completely resistant to change and their sad attempts at coming in and making a difference will be shot down and brushed under a rug.

It's been a bad week, can you tell?

Same here! Yes 

• imageMrsDixie:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imagebrookelynpaisley:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imageMySweetBaboo:
    imageTheAnne:
    imagegigismomma:
    imageSheenaNash1:

imageTheAnne:

I'm curious too...???

UPO isn't flame free.

My sisters are my best friends too! I only had my sisters and DH's sisters in my wedding party, so friends hosted my shower. I agree with the bolded part, but I also do not think sisters, as close family (maybe closer than a mother in some cases) should host, but as you said, I wouldn't judge if they did. Certainly if someone wasn't going to get a shower otherwise then they should have one regardless of the host.

ETA: typo

::Butts in:::

I have to agree that having a mom host a shower is a bit weird but having a sister, especially if she's your MOH,  I think is perfectly acceptable...almost expected IMO.

Personally, I never received a shower despite having many friends...and I'll admit..I was selfish enough to be upset about it. Not because I didn't get gifts but because no one thought or cared to. I think in the end whether it's hosted by your mother, MIL, sister, MOH or the neighbor next door, it's all about the fact that someone was nice enough to go to all the trouble and expense to host one in the first place.

Blended Families Rock!

• I hate tattoos and think that they usually look horrible.
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:

imageMissMusic:
    Bottled water is the biggest scam that marketers have ever invented.  I get so mad when I see people buying cases of water and if I'm having a bad day, I actually have to restrain myself from telling them how I feel about ruining our environment AND wasting money at the same time.

As a plumber, my husband has forbidden tap water from the house. If we don't have filtered water, we drink bottled. You don't want to know what's in tap water.

Poop? 

• imageMissMusic:
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

imageMissMusic:

...thats kinda scary.  Ew.  

Still, I get these thoughts/emotions when here in the comfy suburbs people buy massive amounts of it.  Its just the way I feel. Smile

Yeah, living in the suburbs doesn't make your water better, it's not just city water that sucks.

• MsNessaMsNessa member

imagebrookelynpaisley:
    Agreed. And I went to the U of Arizona, where apparently it's a sin to not be into basketball. Sorry, folks. I couldn't care less.

Me too and I've never watched a single one of their games.

My UO: I think it's silly when people buy giant SUVs for no other reason than they had one kid.

• imageKateMW:
    I hate tattoos and think that they usually look horrible.

Yes

Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • People who don't have hobbies/passions kind of creep me out. What do you do with your spare time?! 

And, I'm sorry, but I hate it when people have couple facebooks. Then when they post stuff I don't know who's actually talking... Ick. Getting married shouldn't mean losing your own identity.

DD, the love of my life, born January 26, 2012

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagesmurray217:

imageKateMW:
    I hate tattoos and think that they usually look horrible.

Yes

NoSad

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagetickled_pickle:

In conclusion, MY unpopular opinion is that so many etiquette rules are just dumb and impractical and completely PHONY, and they give us excuses to judge people who are supposed to be our friends and should be comfortable enough around us to not have to follow stupid, archaic rules. 

I agree with this! 

Try telling my mom that she can not host my baby shower because the "rules" say it's poor etiquette. She would be devasted to not host it and plan it. I care more about my moms feelings and other people who want to host than some stupid rules. 

I played the "rule" game for my wedding and regret a lot of those "rules" I thought I had to follow or else someone was going to call me on them. Screw the rules and make your own in good sense of course. If your friends judge you by following rules that don't apply to you and hold you to them, they are not very good friends IMO.

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageKateMW:
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

imageMissMusic:

Poop? 

For one. You can never get it all out. It's disinfected, but there. But there are also a lot of chemicals and other things put in there to clean it. Frankly, no water is 100% clean, but you can do a lot better than tap water.

P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
  • Mrs.UmmMrs.Umm member
    Ketchup is gross. That's right, you heard me.
  • imageSmlTownGirl87:
    I hate when people "check-in" on facebook. No one cares where you are.

Omg. Me too. Like everyone is dying to know what they are doing. Ugh. 

• Parents who let their 13+ year old girls go out in stilettos and skin tight dresses that barely cover their butts.  The fact that our society sexualizes young girls is bad enough - their parents dropping them off in front of the movie theatre looking like prostitutes is atrocious.  
  • I strongly disliked both The Help and Water for Elephants.
    Little Squish #1, 3.25.12

Little Squish #2 Due 10.9.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrs.Umm:
    Ketchup is gross. That's right, you heard me.

THIS.

11/09- off BCP 08/10- TTC w/ charting
    Dx- Stage 3 Endo, Septate Uterus
    DH SA Normal (phew!)
    06/11- Lap/HSC removed endo and resected septum
    8/11-10/11 Femara + TI = BFN
    Currently undergoing testing with RE, repeat HSC scheduled next cycle
    On to IUI in Dec 2011
    P/SAIFW
  • I think the idea of engagement photos is silly. 
    TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:

imageMissMusic:

This.  Plus where I'm from they put fluoride in the tap water.  It's not an option. 

To be more environmentally friendly I use a Brita water filter instead of bottled water.

TTC since August 2009
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
  • imagemcromer:
    Parents who let their 13+ year old girls go out in stilettos and skin tight dresses that barely cover their butts.  The fact that our society sexualizes young girls is bad enough - their parents dropping them off in front of the movie theatre looking like prostitutes is atrocious.  

I don;t think that's an unpopular opinion, except maybe with the parents of those girls.

P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
  • imagemcromer:
    Parents who let their 13+ year old girls go out in stilettos and skin tight dresses that barely cover their butts.  The fact that our society sexualizes young girls is bad enough - their parents dropping them off in front of the movie theatre looking like prostitutes is atrocious.  
    THIS! Would it kill the parents to tell their child "no" once in a while?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nuts and raisins have absolutely NO BUSINESS being in my baked goods.  Raisins in anything for that matter.
    Baking Blog | TTC Blog | Pinterest
    TTC #1 since October 2010 | Began Testing in January 2012
    DH SA - low motility with 0% morph; varicocele (repaired); low T (on Clomid)
    IVF w/ICSI (long Lupron w/ Repronex and Follistim) in September 2012

imageimage
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imageLGLDVM:

imageSweets11:
    I think the idea of engagement photos is silly. 

Awww, I am so glad we did engagement pics! They were included in our photography package for our wedding and we used them for our save the dates and we made a little video that played in the bar at our reception.  They are some of my favorite pictures!!  :(  I didn't know that people thought they were silly.  That sucks.

I don't think many do; that's why it's my unpopular opinion :P

That said, I have seen some really cute engagement pics (especially in my fellow Bumpies siggies!)

I'm just one of those random people who doesn't get the whole 'wedding thing'.  I was never really big on planning my own wedding, I didn't have any showers, there was no stag/stagette, and we really didn't follow any of the formal etiquette that came along with a wedding.

TTC since August 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"