Success after IF
Options

If you were hosting a baby shower, would you buy a gift ?

Im trowing a good friend a shower ina month.  Its gonna cost me some money to do this...which is fine as I clearly WANT to throw the shower for her.  Is it poor etiquette not to get a gift as well?  WWYD?  get something small?  The shower is the gift??  thx
Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If you were hosting a baby shower, would you buy a gift ?

• Options
    CMM05CMM05 member

I still give a gift.

I threw a baby shower for my best friend and also bought her a $150 gift.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I still give a gift. But depending on how schmancy the shower is, I might spend less than I would have as a just a guest.
    Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would still get a gift.
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • Options
    I would still get a gift, a smaller one but still get one. What about making her a moby? I have done this for friends and spent about 10-20 dollars on the fabric.
  • Options
    I still give a gift.  A smaller one.. but I still give a gift.
    imageimageimage
    TTC #1: IUI #2 = BFP , Betas 550 (16 dpiui), 1523 (18 dpiui)
    Hypothyroid, LPD, FSH 13.0, TTC 2 yrs B4 BFP

TTC #2: FSH 23, AMA, IUI 1, 2, 3 = BFN, IVF #1 = MC
    IVF #2 = BFP - Betas 194 (14dp2dt), 366 (16 dp2dt), 841 (18 dp2dt)
    (vanished twin ~7 weeks)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    CBLCBL member

I've thrown 3 bridal showers and 2 baby showers and have always bought a gift worth what I would have spent if I didn't host the showers. 

I wouldn't have hosted the showers if the people weren't super special to me, so personally, I would have felt awkward not buying a gift.  They were all very generous to me at my ocassions

• Options
    Ok--thats what i thought would be the best etiquette.  Its going to be a nice shower.  I was thinking something under $40.  To the poster up above that spent $150 on a gift--thats about how much I would spend for my sister on a gift when she has kids. Thats a bit much for a friend to me no matter how much I love her  :)
    Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
    Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
    2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
    Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just helped throw a bridal shower for my cousin.  I bought her a small gift as did the other hostesses.

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would make a diaper cake, use it for decoration and be part of the gift.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I usually still give a gift, but nothing wrong w/ it being a little smaller than what you usually do.  You shouldn't go broke over this! ;)
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I hosted a shower for my very best friend two  months ago.  It was small, but sweet.  I made most of the food for a brunch and did decorations, etc.  I put together a gift for her and I think it was about $80 or so, plus gave her a bunch of our gently used baby gear.  It was more than I would spend on anyone else, bar none, but I only have sisters in law.  ;)
  • Options
    I'd still give a gift.
  • Options
    I would say that the shower is the gift. It's not cheap or easy to plan a baby shower, imo. If you feel awkward not giving a gift, maybe you can pitch in with someone and get a larger gift.
    IVF #3 = ID Twin Boys TTC #3, June 2011 FET #1 m/c 9 Weeks, October FET #2 BFN, December FET #3 BFN, March FET #4 c/p, June FET #5 BFN, July FET #6 embie didn't survive the thaw IVF#4 September 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Identical twin boys born at 30 weeks 2 days due to HELLP
  • Options

imageamberleeb:
    I would make a diaper cake, use it for decoration and be part of the gift.

I'm co-hosting a baby shower this weekend, and that is what I did. I bought a few small things to put on the cake (stuffed animal, baby hat, etc.). I hope it is enough!

• Options

I think I would still give a gift.  Usually I've gone in with other people to throw showers so I always give a gift. 

For the last baby shower for a very good friend, 3 of us threw the shower and then I think we also went in on her car seat, boppy, and something else-- so about $75 each for the gift.

Any my friends who threw my showers also got me gifts.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"