November 2011 Moms

Accidentally ate raw egg...is that really bad???

I'm making cookies and I totally spaced and ate a big bite of dough with raw egg...  I know we aren't supposed to have raw eggs while pregnant.  Yikes.  Do any of you know why raw eggs are bad?  Is it that it may cause food poisoning or do they do something bad to the baby?

I'm all freaked out :-(  Was it really that bad? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Accidentally ate raw egg...is that really bad???

• While I wouldn't make a habit of eating raw eggs every day for every meal, I highly doubt you did anything bad with one bite. The other night we were at a fancy restaurant and I totally spaced and ordered ceasar salad, where they make it for you table side with raw egg and anchovy. I ate every bite and loved it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's not any more or less bad than non-pregnant.  There is potential for a type of bacteria to be present in raw eggs that could cause a problem.  But it's not a given and most likely the bacteria isn't present.  Don't go eating anymore, but you are most likely just fine.

FWIW, I love sunny side up eggs and dipping toast in the raw yolks.  I've done it a couple times this pregnancy and all is well.

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • You should be fine.. this is what I came across:

Soft-boiled or raw eggs may carry salmonella bacteria, so it's not a good idea to eat them while you are pregnant.

When you are pregnant, your immune system changes so that its main purpose is to protect your developing baby. This means that you can be more susceptible to food poisoning from salmonella bacteria.

Salmonella poisoning will not directly harm your baby, but it can hit you harder when you're pregnant and give you:

~Caleb~ If i could have a lifetime wish, a dream that would come true, I'd pray to God with all my heart, for yesterday and you. D&E 8/24/2012 EDD 1/28/2013 ___________________________________________________ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is what I understand, too. Yes
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Oh phew thanks I feel a ton better!!  I was worried there was some fetus-eating bacteria in raw eggs or something lol!
  • You will be fine just try not to do it again.  The day after I found out I was pregnant I pretty much did the same thing but it was more like 5-6 big spoonfuls of cookie dough before I had my oops moment.  Just try not to do it often!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i totally licked the bowl and spatula last week after i made red velvet cupcakes. like you, i spaced out and forget.. i figure its no worse to do it pregnant than not pregnant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • When I first read your post title I thought "How in the world can you accidentally eat raw egg???"

Then after reading your post I realized I've done it a couple of times this pregnancy (early on, before I couldn't eat sugary foods).  I'm sure you'll be fine.  No baby eating bacterias!  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Visit My Twin Life 
  • Mrs.NGMMrs.NGM member
    Not eating cookie dough is probably the thing I miss the most!  I can easily live without wine, but cookie dough is half the reason I bake!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSarahbear621:
    You will be fine just try not to do it again.  The day after I found out I was pregnant I pretty much did the same thing but it was more like 5-6 big spoonfuls of cookie dough before I had my oops moment.  Just try not to do it often!

5-6 big spoonfuls?  I like your style, Sarahbear!  Whenever I make cookies only about half of the dough ever makes it to the oven :-) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"