Parenting

Has anyone read "A Child Called It"

It's a non-fiction account of child abuse in thw 1970's...the boy's case was consided the 3rd worst case of child abuse in CA (that year? history?  I can't remember).   Anyhow, its a trilogy of the abuse, foster care, and adult life biographies.  Its fvcked up how his mom treated him but an easy read if you can stomach it--i work in social work, it doesn't really surprise me...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Has anyone read "A Child Called It"

• Yes it is very disturbing there is a sequal to it too.
  • My fave books EVER!  The Lost Boy and A Man Named Dave

Talk about overcoming adversity!  I saw him on Oprah YEARS ago and it prompted me to read the books.

I still think of the frozen hot dogs whenever I serve Joey and Cam hot dogs!  SICK!

• Loading the player...
  • i read it about 10 years ago. So sad. I just read that a POS animal that fathered a child was arrested a few cities over from me for beatingtheshit out of his 5 week old baby. 5.weeks.old. Horrific. Broken ribs, fractured skull. The mom brought the baby to the hospital; I don't know its condition. What a surprise, the dad had a warrant out of for a separate issue. I don't think his $125,000 bail is nearly enough. Through away the key.
    DD 7.28.06 * DS 3.29.10

Christmas 2011
  • I have read all of the books.  He is an amazing guy. 
  • Yes, it is awful. Breaks my heart.
  • Yes.  It was horrifying, but at the same time I couldn't put it down.  Maybe b/c the authors spirit was so strong?  Maybe b/c I just couldn't believe any parent could be that awful on purpose. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I read that in high school. Its such a page turner, and sooo sad.
  • I read the first 2 books when I was in HS.  Very sad situation but I agree, it was a good read.
  • I have read all of the books. The first 2 were incredible. How sad. It's a miracle that he turned out to be a normal, decent person.

Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • I read all 3 books in high school. They were excellent! Definitely an eye-opening look at abuse and a child's determination for survival.
  • i'm aware of it.  several of my students read the series.  i have avoided reading it.  i'm a wimp like that.
    Patty Matt 4/7/05 and Sean 12/14/06 image
  • It's awful whate happened to him. It's actually his autobiography. I cried during the whole book. There are two more books that follow it up.
    Marcey
    Kaden William 11/4/06 and Dawson Michael 6/30/10
    Dawson's first birthday - at the zoo
  • I just finished the third book after a friend recommended them to me this weekend :)   She said they were a must read.  They were all really good.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"