School-Aged Children

School aged child and toddler

I have a 10 yr old DD and an almost 2 year old DD. Their rooms are right next to one another. Which makes it difficult almost every night getting my younger DD to go to sleep in her toddler bed without crying and waking up the other. Does anyone else have children of about the same age range and have any suggestions?

Re: School aged child and toddler

• My son will be 10 this summer and my oldest daughter will be 17 months this month. We keep to a strict routine. All LOs go to bed at 8pm. DD might fuss but it does die down after about 15 minutes and she's out. Both the kids rooms are next to each other as well. My son sleeps like a rock and couldn't tell you if a volcano erupted outside his room when he sleeps.
  • Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about different bedtimes. My oldest goes to bed at 9 pm. So I had mentioned to DH about the younger one going to bed at 8 pm. I may just have to try this out and see if it works.
  • Loading the player...
  • I used to put a white noise machine in the room of the child that went to sleep first or the one that slept through the night.  It helped prevent them from waking each other up a lot.

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Definitely stagger the bedtimes.  My preschooler goes to bed a full hour earlier than my 10 y/o.  Sometimes giving a toddler an earlier bedtime helps with the crying too.
  • Is the problem with getting the 2 y/o to bed, or keeping her asleep all night?

If it's the first, your toddler should be going to bed before the 10 y/o.  My 10 y/o DD's bedtime is 9.  She actually goes to her room around 8:30, but she reads for about a half hour each night.  At age 2, my kids went to bed between 7:45 and 8.

If the problem is with night waking, you might try getting the older DD earplugs or a white noise machine.  Really, though, the best bet is to get the little one sleeping through the night, obviously, as I'm sure you're aware.

CIO over a weekend, while older DD crashes in the family room on a sleeping bag? 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My kids are a toddler and 1st grader. Some nights it's such a pain to get them to go to bed. The toddler will be off in the older kid's room and some times vice versa but rarely. 

I just keep telling them to stay in bed, etc. I do tell them lights will be turned off (their closet lights, but they have plug in night lights also) if they can't stay in their beds.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageStarAnnice:
    I have a 7 year old and a 1 year old.  Their rooms are also next to each other.  The thing that works for us?  Different bed times.  DS2 goes to bed at 7 pm.  He's long asleep by the time we have DS1 go to bed at 8 pm.  Hope that helps!

Ditto on everything.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"