3rd Trimester

Charley horse or blood clot?

So I stretched my leg out this a.m. while in bed and felt a pain in my calf that made me jump out of bed.  I grabbed my calf and felt a tightened knot in my calf.  After a minute or so the initial pain subsided and the bump was gone.  But all day I have had a dull pain in my calf.  If I stretch my leg out and move my ankle around I still feel soreness.  I have only had a charley horse once or twice in my life.  Is that normal for a charley horse or could it be something more serious like a blood clot?  After googleing some stuff I am freaking myself out.
Steph - mama to Owen Patrick 2/20/02, Ryder Jacob 11/3/05 and Brody Ryan 7/14/2011
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Charley horse or blood clot?

• charley horse. very common around this time in pregnancy along with sciatic pains in your inner thy.

do not over think it. Dr google can be very harmful. If you think it could be a blood clot mention it to your dr at your next appt.

Anniversary

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• That sounds like a Charley horse - next time, flex your foot with the heel down, don't point your toe. That can cause the lingering pain! I learned that the hard way :) The first time I had one, I screeched and leaped out of the bed and DH thought I was bring attacked by bats or something.   

My Mayo Clinic pregnancy book says that blood clots generally come with redness and swelling in the leg where the pain is - you'll have more symptoms and the pain would be much worse. Resist the temptation to turn to Dr Google again - he'll make you crazy! Call your OB if you feel that something is wrong. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Charley horse. I get them like twice a week lately. Oww.

Ditto pp. In this case dr. google is not your friend.

• imageWoodwife:

That sounds like a Charley horse - next time, flex your foot with the heel down, don't point your toe. That can cause the lingering pain! I learned that the hard way :) The first time I had one, I screeched and leaped out of the bed and DH thought I was bring attacked by bats or something.   

My Mayo Clinic pregnancy book says that blood clots generally come with redness and swelling in the leg where the pain is - you'll have more symptoms and the pain would be much worse. Resist the temptation to turn to Dr Google again - he'll make you crazy! Call your OB if you feel that something is wrong. 

agreed!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So I would tend to think it is just a charlie horse, but I called the on call Dr. and he said I should probably go to the hospital to rule it out.  Problem is my husband is out of town and I have my 9 year old and 5 year old with me.  I dont have any swelling or bruising...just residual tenderness.  I am torn on what to do...
    Steph - mama to Owen Patrick 2/20/02, Ryder Jacob 11/3/05 and Brody Ryan 7/14/2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My leg is usually sore all day after I wake up with a charlie horse. Sad
    I had one last night and it hurts still.
  • I've had very few charley horses in my life but during my 2nd tri I got a very painful charley horse.  I had to wake up dh and I was in tears.  Luckily he stretched out my leg and it stopped after a little bit.  The next couple of days my calf was extremely soar and i limped for 2 days.  Sounds like it may be related to the charley horse but if your dr suggested you get checked out you may as well.  Better safe than sorry.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I posted about this same thing earlier.  I feel for you.  My calves have been sore for a few days following a bad charley horse episode.  I was limping too.  When I called my doctor's office this morning, the nurse asked me these questions:

Are you having any bleeding?  No

Any redness or swelling in calves?  No

Any swelling in ankles?  No

Baby moving okay?  Yes

They told me to increase fluids and prop feet up.  I also took several warm baths.  They told me I could apply a small amount of a muscle cream like Icy Hot 1-2 times a day if needed, but so far I haven't.  After about three days, I've finally gotten a little relief.  Hope you feel better!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies...after reading what you have to say, talking to my friends/family and doing some more reading online, I decided not to go the ER.  Sounds like just a charlie horse.  I have my regular 2 week OB visit tomorrow, so I will follow up with my OB again as well.  Thanks!
  • Blood clots are also warmer than normal body temperature where the blood clot is. So if the spot on your leg that is swollen/lumpy, hurts, and is hot in only that spot, then I'd start to think about going in. If it's a normal temp, it's not a clot.
  • I think you probably just have a cramp, HOWEVER, I want to respond to some of the responses regarding what clots are like.  I developed a DVT in my right calf after the birth of my daughter and no, my leg wasn't swollen, nor was it red, nor was it hot to the touch, and no, the pain wasn't much worse than a charlie horse.  In fact, for the first week or two I thought that is what it was and then I thought I had pulled a muscle.  I had the clot for over four weeks before it moved up behind my knee and only then did my leg, ankle and foot swell.  Looking back, I wish I had done something about it sooner as I suspected it was a clot but kept convincing myself otherwise.  Thankfully, it only ever got as far as my knee but had I waited any longer it could have made it to my lungs.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"