High-Risk Pregnancy

Gestational Diabetes- How many Carbs?

I am going to start following the GD diet since I am high risk of GD, and I googled and found quite a few different amounts for carbs.

How many are you allowed to have each meal, and do you subtract the fiber to solve for net carbs or just use the straight carb number?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Gestational Diabetes- How many Carbs?

• I was told to use straight carb counts and not to subtract the fiber, but to look for things that are high in fiber as it will help your blood sugar raise more slowly.

Number of carbs allowed depends on your tolerance level/activity level/size/how much weight you need to or should gain. Dietitians generally have a system to figure out a meal plan for each specific patient. My guidelines are:

Breakfast - 23 grams carbs (I usually only do 10-15 because my numbers spike early in the day, my dietitian is okay with that)

AM/Afternoon snack - 15 grams carbs

Lunch/Dinner - 30 grams carbs plus 8 oz milk (which is an additional 15 grams carbs)

PM snack - 30-45 grams of carbs. That's higher than most, but we're having trouble with me spilling ketones so I eat a more carb heavy snack and compensate with insulin to control the ketones.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Also, remember that the diet won't prevent GD. Following it before you're diagnosed (not everyone who is high risk for GD ends up with it) isn't a bad idea, though, as it will mean you're already in the habit of counting your carbs and that may be helpful in getting things under control faster.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just eat the carb amount and don't subtract the fiber amounts. 

For breakfast I am supposed to have 30g carbs, morning snack 30g, lunch 45g, afternoon snack 30g, dinner 60g, and evening snack 15g.  I think the diet plan varies per person though.  

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks ladies!

I guess that is why I get different carb numbers when I googled it!

I know it doesn't prevent it from happening, but since baby is already 18oz at 21 weeks per ultrasound, I figure I need to do something proactively!

Thanks for your help!

• It is different for everyone. Mine is 30 for breakfast 15 for snacks between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner, 45 for both lunch and dinner and 30 for after dinner/before bed snack. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Another thing - I'm not trying to sound "preachy" so I hope it doesn't sound that way - be very careful with low carb diets, especially while pregnant. Make sure to discuss it with your dr and make sure what you're doing is safe for you specifically. GD patients are closely followed and monitored by doctors and dietitians to make sure their plan and, if needed, meds are working for them and keeping them and their baby healthy. Please talk to your dr to make sure you can do the same.

Okay, getting off my soap box now :) 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagememali26:

Another thing - I'm not trying to sound "preachy" so I hope it doesn't sound that way - be very careful with low carb diets, especially while pregnant. Make sure to discuss it with your dr and make sure what you're doing is safe for you specifically. GD patients are closely followed and monitored by doctors and dietitians to make sure their plan and, if needed, meds are working for them and keeping them and their baby healthy. Please talk to your dr to make sure you can do the same.

Okay, getting off my soap box now :) 

No worries, I started overweight and my doc wanted me to follow a loose diabetic diet from the beginning.

Admittedly, I haven't been doing so well, and with the high baby weight he reaffirmed low carb diet.

Thanks for all of your help!

• jcsumm0jcsumm0 member
    My dietician said you can do net carbs but only if there is at least 5 grams of fiber per serving.  I get 30 carbs for breakfast and snacks (3 per day) and 45 at lunch and dinner.
  • NadiazNadiaz member

I don't subtract the fiber. 

I'm allowed 20-30g carbs for meals and 10-15g carbs for snacks.  This includes milk (so I switched to almond milk).  They also told me not to eat any fruit in the mornings.

Zoryana Kaitlyn born 4/16/08. 8 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches long Aidan Sean born 5/23/11. 9 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My GD diet just got a lot more strict.  They told me to only look at the TOTAL CARBS on the nutritional info.  This is what I'm allowed to have:

Breakfast: 15g

Snack 1: 15g

Lunch: 45g

Snack 2: 15g

Dinner: 60g

Snack 3: 30g

I also found a website that gives the info of lots of places and foods: www.calorieking.com

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I was allowed 30 for breakfast, 30 for each snack and 45-60 for lunch & dinner. My fasting numbers had to be between 60 & 89 and my numbers had to be between 90 & 129 one hour after the first bite of my meals.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"