North Florida Babies

Where would you start researching/interviewing for a home birth or birthing center option?

I'm in the Jacksonville area - I don't have IRL people to ask who are knowledgeable.  I've been watching (on Hulu) Pregnant in America but have been thinking about the home/center options since my OB/GYN stated that the hospital he's tied to will not allow VBAC.

Does anyone have any first hand experience from past pregnancies or are planning for this pregnancy?  Any reading material suggestion would also be welcome.

TIA 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Where would you start researching/interviewing for a home birth or birthing center option?

• I had my son at Fruitful VIne here in town so I feel comfortable sharing what I know. I am almost certain that you cannot have a center/home birth for a VBAC until you have had one in a hospital first. It sucks, I know. You can certainly speak with Sharon and Hope (the midwives) and confirm though. 

If you are going for the least interventions in a hospital setting, I would recommend Dr Van Scriver at A Place for Women. She is the back up for Fruitful Vine.

I really find it disturbing that a hospital around here will not "allow" a VBAC. There is a local chapter of ICAN that may have some great resources for your for VBAC as well. I have a friend who is connected with them and is very knowledgeable. 

My other suggestion would be to hire a doula to be with you while you are in the hospital. I would recommend mine to anyone but most especially someone wanting few interventions and hoping for a VBAC. If you would like her information, I would be happy to pass it along. My friend with ICAN is also in doula training and would also be a great possibility for you.

GL and feel free to ask any other specific questions about Fruitful VIne you may have. I loved my experience there! 

• I had my first baby with Dr. Van Scriver (transferred from Fruitful Vine due to pre-e), my second with Sharon at home and my third with Hope at the birth center. They are all fantastic and should be able to help point you in the right direction as far as the VBAC goes.

Good luck!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both!  

and, Adarlingzta, I would love the information if you could pass it along.  Thanks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi -

I'm Kimberly, the Co-leader of ICAN of North Florida and Amy's friend she mentioned above:-)  We have a facebook page and my email is Coleader_ICANofNorthFL@gmail.com. 

The VBAC situation in Jacksonville area (all of Florida!) is...interesting, lol.  A couple of hospitals have outright bans (Flagler, I think and maybe Memorial?  If you would PM me or email me the doc/hospital you know of I'd love to have that info!) Orange Park Medical Center has a Defacto Ban - the hospital doesn't officially ban them, but no doctors are willing to catch VBAC babies there.

The best OB/GYN for VBACs is, as said above, A Place for Women with Dr. VanScriver, Dr. Phoenix, and their 2 midwives (Dr. Slade recently left).  An option to go with that is hiring Sharon or Hope from Fruitful Vine to serve as your monitrice at home/the birth center (a monitrice is essentially a doula who can also check fetal heart tones and dilation) for as long as possible, getting to the hospital at the last possible moment.  AFAIK, once you get to the hospital, you will be forced onto CFM and IV under St. Luke's policy.  A lot of other local docs, SAY that they are VBAC friendly, but they will come up with various excuses later on (baby not born by due date, baby "too big", your scar too thin, etc) to convince you to schedule a cesarean. 

Which brings me to your real question, lol.  Under FL law, NO ONE with a prior cesarean may deliver in a birth center.  Period.  Ever.  Until the law is changed, anyway.

BUT - Home VBACs (HBACs) are legal with a sign off from an OB.  From what I understand, at one time Dr. VanScriver was willing to sign off on Primary HBACs, but due to various reasons no longer will.  She will, however, sign off on later VBACs (so, once this baby comes out.). I was very, very recently told that on a case by case basis she may agree to a primary HBAC, but so far, no ICAN mamas have managed to make that happen.  

However - we do have other local midwives, and some of them are willing to consider HBACs using out of town doctors as their sign offs.  That puts you in the situation of transferring to the emergency room if you do have an emergency.  It is also the option that I plan to use when/if I get pregnant again.  For me, personally, I do not believe that I will have a vaginal birth in a hospital.  The fight is too much for me:-)  (I do love A Place for Women, and will continue using them for my GYN care!) Email me and I'll give you those midwives names.

Also, from everything I have heard, Amy's doula - Heather Palmer - is THE BEST doula in town for VBACs, so I would also highly recommend her!

Ok, I wrote a novel, but now anyone interested can see a basic overview of how it works:-)

P.S. ICAN of North Florida meets every 2nd Thursday at the South Mandarin library.  With the exception of THIS Thursday.  We're taking May off due to elections shutting the library down:-)

BFP 1/6/12 TTC#2 since June 2010 Diagnosed PCOS and started Metformin December 2011 BabyFruit Ticker DS1 - Jack 9/28/08 Birth Doula and ICAN Leader
  • I have to run, but I'll post reading material later.

For now - 

VBACfacts.com:-)

BFP 1/6/12 TTC#2 since June 2010 Diagnosed PCOS and started Metformin December 2011 BabyFruit Ticker DS1 - Jack 9/28/08 Birth Doula and ICAN Leader
  • 1) You beat me to it! I was about to post your info. 

2) Slade left???? I loved her for my Gyn stuff. 

3) Heather's info: 610-6725 mucus.mama@gmail.com  She is about the most wonderful and knowledgeable person on the face of the earth. I really think she would be a wise choice if a VBAC is what you are wanting.

GL!! 

• I can't speak to any of the VBAC or home birth stuff, but I can tell you from experience that Heather is an amazing doula.  She was there for the birth of my son and will be there when this little girl arrives too.  She is full of all kinds of wonderful information related to birthing, breastfeeding, etc and is one of the sweetest people I know :)
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Amy, Slade is now the ER OB at...Memorial, I think? She delivered Jack (I think you know that), and while I don't think my cesarean was exactly necessary, I still love her and will miss her for GYN stuff.

Dr. Phoenix, the new OB at APfW is supposed to have a terrible office/bedside manner, but I'm hearing more and more positive things about her taking a very low-key/wait and see/hands off approach in labor, which is awesome! (But I'm guessing she won't be ideal for anyone's GYN care)

There is a brand new MW at APfW, apparently she's young and I'm planning on calling her for my annual this month.  I'd like to get to know her:-)

• not a Pheonix fan personally. Saw her for my follow up with Mirena and it was very weird. Anywho, we have now hijacked this thread ala old days. I miss nesting with you girls!
  • Amy - :-D  I know, this has been fun!  I may have to start hanging out here again!

Chavay - I just saw that you have had VBACs already.  In that case, there should not be a problem for Fruitful Vine to attend your HBAC.  A birth center birth will still not be allowed by Florida law. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"