VBAC

Did anyone plan a VBAC and end up with a C/S anyway?

This is my biggest fear. Not pregnant or TTC right now, but I'm throwing the idea of a VBAC around and trying to decide if it's something I want to try in the future. My labor with DS was pretty rough - 21 hours of labor, doc broke my water and pumped me full of pitocin, I stopped dilating at 4 cm and ended up with a c/s. My fear is that if I go for a VBAC, I'll labor and labor and end up with the same result. Does this hold any weight? I'm not sure if one L&D experience has anything to do with future deliveries. Thoughts?

Sorry if this has been asked recently; I just found this board. Smile

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Did anyone plan a VBAC and end up with a C/S anyway?

•  I can't answer your question about having a c/s after trying for a VBAC.  But yes, this is a risk that anyone who decides to try a VBAC has to accept.  There is always a possibility of laboring only to end up with another c/s and that can be difficult to think about.  Some women are willing to take that chance and others feel more comfortable scheduling a c/s so that they don't have to worry about that.  It's just a matter of what ultimately feels right for you.

Why were you induced?  How far along were you and did you have a favorable cervix when you went in?  A failed induction doesn't necessarily have any reflection on your body and your ability to have a vaginal birth in the future.  Studies show that 60%+ of moms who had a primary c/s for failure to progress can have VBACs in the future.

Something that has helped me to emotionally prepare for the possibility of laboring and having another c/s is to write a c/s birth plan.  I felt completely unprepared for my first c/s and I'm hoping that if I have another one, I can still feel empowered and have a voice in how the birth happens. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:

I can't answer your question about having a c/s after trying for a VBAC.  But yes, this is a risk that anyone who decides to try a VBAC has to accept.  There is always a possibility of laboring only to end up with another c/s and that can be difficult to think about.  Some women are willing to take that chance and others feel more comfortable scheduling a c/s so that they don't have to worry about that.  It's just a matter of what ultimately feels right for you.

Why were you induced?  How far along were you and did you have a favorable cervix when you went in?  A failed induction doesn't necessarily have any reflection on your body and your ability to have a vaginal birth in the future.  Studies show that 60%+ of moms who had a primary c/s for failure to progress can have VBACs in the future.

Something that has helped me to emotionally prepare for the possibility of laboring and having another c/s is to write a c/s birth plan.  I felt completely unprepared for my first c/s and I'm hoping that if I have another one, I can still feel empowered and have a voice in how the birth happens. 

What does that all include? I guess I never thought you could have a birth plan for c/s.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I apologize in advance for the formatting, I'm on my phone. I attempted at VBAC in September but wound up with a c/s after about 20 hours if labor. One of my biggest fears about a VBAC was winding up with a c/s and being depressed or not connecting with my baby. I'm not sure why I had this fear as it didn't happen after my 1st c/s. I can honestly tell you that I have absolutely no regrets about my labor or c/s with DS2, for several reasons. I was more educated. I knew what I needed to do to try and prevent a c/s. I know that my doctors did everything possible to make my VBAC happen (an amnio-infusion and being ok with me being at 7cm for 8 hours etc) and probably most importantly I knew what I did and didn't want if I had another c/s. As soon as the decision was made (a decision that was made between me, DH and drs) I was able to rattle off what I did/didn't want. This included stuff like not having my arms tied down, being shown the baby as soon as he was out (I didn't see DS1 until he was wrapped up), bf'ing in recovery, baby not to leave OR without me. Everything I asked for was immediately granted. I knew it would be. My 1st c/s was great and I was treated wonderfully. I wanted to make sure that was the way it was this time too.
  • imageiris427:

I can't answer your question about having a c/s after trying for a VBAC.  But yes, this is a risk that anyone who decides to try a VBAC has to accept.  There is always a possibility of laboring only to end up with another c/s and that can be difficult to think about.  Some women are willing to take that chance and others feel more comfortable scheduling a c/s so that they don't have to worry about that.  It's just a matter of what ultimately feels right for you.

Well, I wasn't technically induced. I went in because I was having contrax 5 minutes apart, but once I was admitted, things slowed down and they used Pit & broke my water to help my labor progress. From there, things sort of went downhill. 

• imagedisbride061103:
    I apologize in advance for the formatting, I'm on my phone. I attempted at VBAC in September but wound up with a c/s after about 20 hours if labor. One of my biggest fears about a VBAC was winding up with a c/s and being depressed or not connecting with my baby. I'm not sure why I had this fear as it didn't happen after my 1st c/s. I can honestly tell you that I have absolutely no regrets about my labor or c/s with DS2, for several reasons. I was more educated. I knew what I needed to do to try and prevent a c/s. I know that my doctors did everything possible to make my VBAC happen (an amnio-infusion and being ok with me being at 7cm for 8 hours etc) and probably most importantly I knew what I did and didn't want if I had another c/s. As soon as the decision was made (a decision that was made between me, DH and drs) I was able to rattle off what I did/didn't want. This included stuff like not having my arms tied down, being shown the baby as soon as he was out (I didn't see DS1 until he was wrapped up), bf'ing in recovery, baby not to leave OR without me. Everything I asked for was immediately granted. I knew it would be. My 1st c/s was great and I was treated wonderfully. I wanted to make sure that was the way it was this time too.

Thanks for your response! Silly question, but who do you talk to about your wishes? The OB, during prenatal visits, or the nurses/staff in L&D?

• My VBAC attempt is in my siggy - long story short, I tried for a VBAC, ended up with a repeat c/s.  Except for the end, I wouldn't change it at all, I was very happy with my attempt.
  • imageSam78:
    My VBAC attempt is in my siggy - long story short, I tried for a VBAC, ended up with a repeat c/s.  Except for the end, I wouldn't change it at all, I was very happy with my attempt.

I just read your story- thanks for sharing! It's good to hear you feel good about how things went. Did you feel anything during the surgery with your epi? I did, and was told that a spinal, rather than an epi, is more ideal for a c/s.

• imagesbuxsweetie:

imagedisbride061103:
    I apologize in advance for the formatting, I'm on my phone. I attempted at VBAC in September but wound up with a c/s after about 20 hours if labor. One of my biggest fears about a VBAC was winding up with a c/s and being depressed or not connecting with my baby. I'm not sure why I had this fear as it didn't happen after my 1st c/s. I can honestly tell you that I have absolutely no regrets about my labor or c/s with DS2, for several reasons. I was more educated. I knew what I needed to do to try and prevent a c/s. I know that my doctors did everything possible to make my VBAC happen (an amnio-infusion and being ok with me being at 7cm for 8 hours etc) and probably most importantly I knew what I did and didn't want if I had another c/s. As soon as the decision was made (a decision that was made between me, DH and drs) I was able to rattle off what I did/didn't want. This included stuff like not having my arms tied down, being shown the baby as soon as he was out (I didn't see DS1 until he was wrapped up), bf'ing in recovery, baby not to leave OR without me. Everything I asked for was immediately granted. I knew it would be. My 1st c/s was great and I was treated wonderfully. I wanted to make sure that was the way it was this time too.

Thanks for your response! Silly question, but who do you talk to about your wishes? The OB, during prenatal visits, or the nurses/staff in L&D?

All of the above! I had mentioned my preferences to my OB at prenatal appts. At my last appt we were discussing induction or scheduled c/s and I went over my preferences then. My regular OB wasn't on call when I was in labor so another OB from my practice did my c/s (my OB tried to get away from patients to get to the OR, which he did do, but not in time. He just scrubbed in). As soon as we made the decision, I rattles off what I wanted/didnt want. The doctor was there as was my OB nurse. My best advice is to know exactly what you do/don't want so in a moments notice you can tell all the players.
  • imagesbuxsweetie:

imageSam78:
    My VBAC attempt is in my siggy - long story short, I tried for a VBAC, ended up with a repeat c/s.  Except for the end, I wouldn't change it at all, I was very happy with my attempt.

I just read your story- thanks for sharing! It's good to hear you feel good about how things went. Did you feel anything during the surgery with your epi? I did, and was told that a spinal, rather than an epi, is more ideal for a c/s.

I think I had a combo epi/spinal, but don't remember for sure.  I remember feeling a lot of tugging (like I was going to be pulled off the table which made sense since the OB needed a step stool to get DS out - he was quite wedged!) but no real pain.  My greatest discomfort was lying on my back before surgery started since everytime I went on my back I got lightheaded.

• I did. I had my first c-section after I only got to 9.5 cm and then had my cervix start to swell closed. DD1 was 9 lbs 2 oz and sunny side up. Her head was just too big to fit though my pelvis, and I think because she was sunny side up, there wasn't enough contact for me to completely dilate. She was also 10 days late.

My OB agreed to let me try a vbac as long as I went into labor before my due date. It turns out, my babies like to bake longer than 40 weeks. DD2 was born via repeat c-section 2 days late. She was also sunny side up, and she was actually bigger. She was 9 lbs 4 oz.

I'm glad that I was open to a vbac, but if we choose to have more kids, I think they'd have to be c-sections.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • This is in response to c/section birth plan. II had a very positive first c/s experience. It was a scheduled c/s and I was able to make a birth plan. (My baby's estimated weight was 10 lbs 8 oz at 40 weeks. (He was born at 10 lbs 7 oz a few days later.) Due to a few variables, my husband and I decided to go straight to c/s instead of induction.)

I had been preparing for natural childbirth and adjusted my birth plan for a c/s. I shared the plan with my doctor and reminded my husband about the most important things that day. Included: see the baby over the curtain right after he was delivered, my husband was to hold the baby as soon as he was able, Daddy would stay with the baby at all times, baby would not be taken out of room for first bath during my "stiching up". We had already hired a doula, so she stayed with me during recovery while Daddy stayed with BAby outside the nursery window for his first check-ups. My doula helped me start BF as soon as Baby was returned to me in Recovery. My hospital did not routinely tie down arms during c/s, but I would ask for that again if you are not sure.

Still deciding what to do about this delivery. :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerv
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"