Potty Training

When should boys be taught to stand and pee?

My son is 3 and a couple months and is doing pretty well in just underwear.  Just this week he's only had one accident all week, but still wears a pull up to bed.  He just starting "telling" us when he has to go rather than us putting him on there every 40-55min.  My question is this... when should we encourage him to stand and pee?  Is this something that comes way later and I shouldnt worry about or what is the norm?  DH prefers to sit and pee so DS hasnt seen him stand to pee lots.  Now that it's going to be nicer outside should we encourage him to do it?

Re: When should boys be taught to stand and pee?

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    We did not teach DS to pee standing up just because of the mess issue (so DH always had to pee sitting down when DS was around) and also since he was 1 1/2 years old I didn't think he'd have good aim.  I am also adamant about not letting him pee outside.  I was at a party once when a 2 1/2 year old just dropped pants and peed on a tree!  DS was potty trained for 1 year before we taught him to pee standing up.  He had no issues with it and I must admit its pretty nice/easy/fast especially when peeing in public restrooms. 
  • S now insists on standing up to pee and has been for a couple of weeks now.  He saw Daddy do it and the other boys in his class do... Definitely messier but hey, he's using the potty all the time so worth it! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"