Parenting after 35
Options

How did you get rid of your postpartum belly?

:::Total newbie question alert:::

So I've got this pudge that looks like a half-inflated balloon... I know I'm only 2 weeks past delivery, but I'm just wondering how folks worked on getting rid of their new tummy (and how long did it take).  Or is this my first wake up call to motherhood?  Do I need to get a pair of mommy jeans?  :D

I'm not quite feeling up to exercising right yet, but looking forward to taking strolls with my LO once he's home.  My mom suggests "sucking in" my belly, but I worry it's too soon after delivery to stress those muscles.  Dr. made me wait 2 weeks before driving, so that's why I think I'm still healing.  Is my mom right, or am I?

Thanks!

ETA: Posting and then going to take a nap... will check in again in a little bit!

Ten months: Mr. Giggles!
Photobucket
A10 March Siggy: Next vacation - Maine!
Photobucket

kikijbunny (formerly kikijbird)
Our jbunny born April 17, 2011 at 34w 1d (EDD May 28) due to irritable ute + early dilation

Mommy Blog: And Baby Makes Pi
Pregnancy/Baby Blog: Eggs Over Anxious
BFP chart

Anniversary

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage

Re: How did you get rid of your postpartum belly?

• Options

I had a big belly before, during and after pregnancy so I'm absolutely no help in this department.

However, I'd say relax a bit.  Your body just went through hell and back and is still adjusting to all sorts of weirdness.   But if exercising will make you feel like your old self again, do so in MODERATION.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm still sporting my bizarro belly 4 months later.  It definitely went down (and you have quite a ways to go after only 2 weeks!) but I feel like this is it without major exercise or liposuction.  My 9lb 10oz baby did a number on my body and stretched out my skin to timbuktu.  I also think a winter baby didn't help as we were in hibernation mode, so you'll definitely feel better once you can go out for walks.

I should also add that my weight is pretty much back to where it was...but I still have the smushy pooch.

I have heard that there is some type of belly band thing for post-partum that is supposed to help you get back to a pre-baby belly, but I never tried it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I used a Belly Bandit for the first couple of weeks. I don't know that it did much for my belly but it was very supportive to my back what with sitting up in the night breastfeeding etc. I hit the strength training at 5 weeks and met with a trainer - I had a terrible diastasis recti so I needed to make some adjustments for that. A month later I started running again. 

Then at 4 months I went back to work and it all went to heck. I'm still trying to find a balance that works for me. My body is nearly the same as it was before - then again, I was never a swimsuit model or an elite athlete. I'm just a regular girl :) 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • Options

Thanks BB, Strunella and peeper.  I think I am a little beside myself with my LO still in the hospital, and feel weird when I'm out and about without him... sort of like, well, if I had my baby with me, then folks would understand why my belly looks so weird.  He'll be home sometime next week (YAY!) so I'm sure my focus will shift to more important things then. 

Hopefully taking walks will help, and breastfeeding too (fingers crossed that he'll latch)... might have to take a look at that belly band.  

But yeah, I'm still not quite feeling up to working out, per se.  It's just whenever I mention how funny I feel my belly looks (my mom is here with me this week) she keeps saying to "suck it in."  But my gut instinct (lol, pun wasn't initially intended, but it works) tells me, like BB said (put paraphrased), to chillax a bit!

Thanks again... I think I just needed to hear some reason!

Photobucket
    Photobucket

Our jbunny born April 17, 2011 at 34w 1d (EDD May 28) due to irritable ute + early dilation

BFP chart

Anniversary

imageimageimage
  • Options

I gained less than 20 pounds during my pregnancy and was 5 pounds below my pre-preg weight within a month after giving birth, however my body was, and is, totally different. My former tiny waist is now, not large per se, but mushy. I reckon I'd be able to get it back down to it's former size/shape with a little effort but have yet to get on the working out band wagon.

All that said, I'd give yourself a break until you can start working out regularly. 

• Options
    I also wore the Belly Bandit right after birth for about two or three weeks. I think it really helped, but I also lost all the baby weight the day I gave birth (12 pounds), and continued to lose weight until I was about 15 pounds under pre-pregnancy weight. My belly was flatter after than before, but of course now I have a pregnant belly. I was able to start walking two days after delivery and running a week after delivery, and started doing abs pretty soon after too. But then, I am a marathon runner so I am a little obsessed with running.
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    It takes time. It took me about 5 months to get back to the point where I could wear my pre-pg clothing. That was with breastfeeding, and I think I started working out again when my DS was around 4 or 5 months? And, my belly is definitely different -- softer. It will never be as flat as it once was. At first, I was pretty bummed, but I'm ok with it now. That's just the way it goes. At least I was able to get back to pre-pg weight, which not everyone does.
  • Options

Thank you!  It's good to know what to expect and what can be worked on.  I lost half of my pregnancy weight with delivery (15 pounds) so I've got 15 more I'd like to lose -- eventually. 

I've come down with a cold, cough and fever (just in time for LO to be released from NICU, which might be Tuesday -- gah!) so I won't be exercising for a little while yet.  Heh, well, I guess my abdomen is getting something of a workout from all the coughing.  Stick out tongue

Photobucket
    Photobucket

BFP chart

Anniversary

imageimageimage
  • Options

I used a Belly Bandit.  I don't know if it helped, but it made me feel less jiggly.  If you can find 'em, this is a good time to rock the A-line swing tops and dresses!  Breezy and flattering to the waistless!

When you're ready for exercise, I found the 30-day shred was surprisingly efficient for such a short workout.  :)

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Oh, Kiki! Congratulations on MIlo! I missed when you had him. I hope he is doing well and growing quickly so you can tale him home. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagePeppernut:

I used a Belly Bandit.  I don't know if it helped, but it made me feel less jiggly.  If you can find 'em, this is a good time to rock the A-line swing tops and dresses!  Breezy and flattering to the waistless!

When you're ready for exercise, I found the 30-day shred was surprisingly efficient for such a short workout.  :)

heh, I have the 30-day shred... I think I bought it to help me get ready for my wedding... will have to dust it off and try it again... thanks for the reminder!

Photobucket
    Photobucket

BFP chart

Anniversary

imageimageimage
  • Options

imageDeanne Shehane:
    Oh, Kiki! Congratulations on MIlo! I missed when you had him. I hope he is doing well and growing quickly so you can tale him home. 

Thank you, Deanne!  he was born on April 17.  We'll know more tomorrow when his doctor does rounds but it sounds like we'll get to take him home this week, possibly Tuesday!

Photobucket
    Photobucket

BFP chart

Anniversary

imageimageimage
  • Options
    imagekikijbunny:

Thanks BB, Strunella and peeper.  I think I am a little beside myself with my LO still in the hospital, and feel weird when I'm out and about without him... sort of like, well, if I had my baby with me, then folks would understand why my belly looks so weird.  He'll be home sometime next week (YAY!) so I'm sure my focus will shift to more important things then. 

THIS! aaaaaaa - yes, I know. LO has been in NICU for five weeks and counting. I have lost my pre-baby weight by the two mile-per-day speeds walks to the hospital and back. Nothing will get you trotting like a baby in a hospital, right? Goodness. I'm still loose like a PP said. I think that's just how it goes and takes time - I only made it to 30 weeks but my belly was quite large...it's kind of amazing when you think about how much your skin stretches/how quickly it needs to keep up with baby.

• Options
    imageurbanflowerpot:
    imagekikijbunny:

THIS! aaaaaaa - yes, I know. LO has been in NICU for five weeks and counting. I have lost my pre-baby weight by the two mile-per-day speeds walks to the hospital and back. Nothing will get you trotting like a baby in a hospital, right? Goodness. I'm still loose like a PP said. I think that's just how it goes and takes time - I only made it to 30 weeks but my belly was quite large...it's kind of amazing when you think about how much your skin stretches/how quickly it needs to keep up with baby.

Oh, I hope you get to take your baby home soon!!!  What a great workout though...that's convenient that your hospital is so close... mine is a 25-30 minute drive away. 

It IS kind of fascinating to see how our bodies change through this whole process.  

Photobucket
    Photobucket

BFP chart

Anniversary

imageimageimage
  • Options
    imagekikijbunny:
    imageurbanflowerpot:
    imagekikijbunny:

Oh, I hope you get to take your baby home soon!!!  What a great workout though...that's convenient that your hospital is so close... mine is a 25-30 minute drive away. 

It IS kind of fascinating to see how our bodies change through this whole process.  

I do, too, but he's king of NICU and well loved by his nurses...at least I can feel comfortable leaving him there. :D wow, that's quite a drive - though it probably takes me as long to walk as it does for you to drive (unless his nurse can't get to the phone, then I'm there in 15!!!). Do they have a room for you to stay overnight?

• Options
    imageurbanflowerpot:
    imagekikijbunny:
    imageurbanflowerpot:
    imagekikijbunny:

I do, too, but he's king of NICU and well loved by his nurses...at least I can feel comfortable leaving him there. :D wow, that's quite a drive - though it probably takes me as long to walk as it does for you to drive (unless his nurse can't get to the phone, then I'm there in 15!!!). Do they have a room for you to stay overnight?

No, they don't, but I can't even go see him at the moment because I'm sick.  I caught a bad cold about a week ago, with a bad cough, so DH drops off my milk for me.  Trying not to throw myself too big a pity party, but it's hard having to stay away.  Starting to feel better so hopefully I can go in onThursday.  Going to see a doctor tomorrow.

Photobucket
    Photobucket

BFP chart

Anniversary

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I am 5 weeks and still deflating,  I am blaming it on my age.  I know it all eventually falls off but I am not a very patient person :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"