Iowa Babies

Mercy or Lutheran?

My Ob clinic delivers at either of these hospitals. Here's my dilemma (any thoughts/help appreciated):

1. Originally I wanted to deliver at Lutheran because my MIL is a L&D nurse there and I trust her with my health and that of my baby completely. However, she has shown that she is way less enthused about this pregnancy than I imagined, and she has really shown even less enthusiasm about being in the delivery room (whether she was on duty or not, simply as a support person). I like Lutheran because a) it's small, and b) the maternity unit is locked so any random Joe off the street cannot walk in any old time they want. If MIL doesn't want to be involved, however, I may not want to deliver there.

2. I have always had all of my medical stuff done at Mercy. I was born there, any surgeries I've had were there, and I just in general like that hospital better. I've never had any bad experiences there (at least none that were the result of the staff). The thing I DON'T like is that it's wayyyyyyyy busier and the unit is larger. Also from what I've heard, it's not a locked unit.

I'm really confused right now! Anybody have any experience/thoughts to help me decide?

(Oh and two other members of DH's family are also L&D nurses, at Broadlawns. If we deliver at Mercy we will be the outcasts. If we go this route I'm SERIOUSLY considering not telling anyone that the baby has come until we go home).

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
Tessa 7/5/2013
Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

Re: Mercy or Lutheran?

• I was orginally planning on having my baby at Methodist but my doctor asked us to switch to Lutheran for my induction (he had c-sections there that day) I was very happy with the whole experience. All of the nurses and doctors there were great. It was peaceful and quiet too. I think there were only 2 other babies there that day so we got a lot of attention from the staff

Hope that helps =) 

• Thank you! Personal experience is very helpful!
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

• Loading the player...
  • We are going to Mercy. I can't speak from experience about how great they are but we did take a tour of the OB unit. It is a very nice unit!!!
    I have talked to people that say good and bad things about delivering in every hospital in the Des Moines area.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our son was born at Mercy and they were GREAT! Never once did I feel like they didn't have time for me. I ended up with a C-Section so was there a little longer. I was also thankful to be at Mercy because my son had some minor complications that needed to be monitored so he was up in the NICU. But everyone has their preference, mine personally I loved it and will be going back!

• I love mercy. The nurses there are the reason my DD is alive and their NICU staff is amazing they were so helpful when DD had to be in the NICU. We will be delivering this baby at Mercy this summer. 
  • Thanks everyone! I think we've decided on Mercy. We toured the unit last week and were really impressed. We especially like the fact that they have a Level 3 NICU, just in case.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"