Texas Babies

Are you a teacher?

Hi Everyone,

I am considering switching professions and going into teaching.  I've already started my alternative certification classes but now I'm lost!  I have NO IDEA what grade level I want to teach!  I was an English major and would ideally love to teach high school English but. . .I know I will have to teach something else first to get my foot in the door.  I am HORRIBLE at math, well at least advanced math.  If you are a teacher you know what the high needs areas are. . .math, science, special education, and ESL.  Would you recommend starting with special education at the high school level or should I try and teach English at the middle school level. . .even though I'm afraid of middle schoolers?  Also, if you are a teacher I would love to come and observe one of your classes.  One of my best friends is an elementary teacher and I will be in her class next week but I would love some middle and high school time.  Thank you!!!  My cell is 621-4153 and my email is jennifersimko@yahoo.com

Re: Are you a teacher?

• Which alternative program did you go through?  I am considering the same thing but worried about finding a job since on the news I've seen there are some major budget cuts in schools.  I know there is a fee for the alternative program-what happens if you can't find a job?
  • I went with texasteachers.org. It's around $400 to start and then they take $380/paycheck for your first 10 months. If you don't get a job you don't pay until you do get a teaching job.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate to be a bummer, but, major budget cuts have been happening and are continuing to happen. Getting Alt. Certified is already a negative in this field. Top that with the budgets and it's not a winning situation.

Just being forward with you. I DO wish, however, that you have a lot of luck and whatever you work for, you get!

• Perhaps look into private schools? I am inches away from being a teacher and with the budget cuts I've been considering starting my own private school. I know too many teachers out there who need jobs and by the way, at private schools, NO TAKS!!!
  • Sadly, I must agree with an above comment.  With all the budget cuts, finding a teaching job here is tough.  I graduated in Dec of 09 with a degree in English, my minor in secondary education and I have my teaching cert.  I still can not find a teaching job - in private OR public schools.  I didn't even get called in for so much as an interview before school started and once it did I got called once in October only to find out the teacher decided not to leave. A few of the people I graduated with are in similar situations.   Another friend had to venture outside of San Antonio to get a job and its with in the juvenile detention facilities.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, English is one of the hardest subjects to get into. The teachers don't leave.  I wish I would have known that because I would've made sure I had a minor in another subject.  Many of the schools wanted me to either coach (which I couldn't because I had no experience with it nor did I have any education in it) or they wanted you to teach another subject.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"