Military Families

Ft Lewis

I have been notified I am about to be on assignment to Fort lewis, so that is where I will be delivering.  Any insight on the area, L&D especially, would be greatly appreciated.  Danke in advance.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ft Lewis

• I currently go down there for my OB care!

Lewis-McChord is a joint Army-Air Force Base, and the joint hospital for the two is Madigan Army Medical Center. It's really quite an incredible hospital. They have a great OB program, lots of options if you want to take classes, and they have a level III NICU on site (one of the best in the area) if you were to deliver early.

I actually drive from over an hour away to go there because it's the closest Military Hospital that does high-risk pregnancies, and I don't regret it a bit. I feel very well taken care of :)

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Wow, im glad someone asked this...i wont be delivering there, but DH is getting stationed there in June- me and LO will be following in December when we're sure hes not deploying.....

Good to hear the base is well equipped.  Where hes at now doesnt even have an ER on post....
    Army Wife1 BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's actually one of the major trauma centers. They have the Wounded Warrior there (for guys injured overseas, etc), there's a Ronald McDonald house nearby if you or your loved one is hospitalized you can stay at, major ER, all kinds of specialty care (Fertility, Urology, etc etc - things most base clinics can't do!). It's really quite nice!
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thank you so much, this has been a great comfort. I have a short reaction time, roughly 60-90 days until I report.  I am grateful to know that they support high risk pregnancies as that is my category.

Coming from Germany, I am sure the change of scenery is going to be shocking enough not to mention the medical care. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow, yes, it definitely will be a bit of a change for you. Have you had medical care in the US before? I've heard that we do, well, everything differently ;)

I'm seen in the high-risk clinic. There's 6 or 7 residents that you can see (they are all 4th year residents instead of 2nd or 3rd like the rest of OB sees), and I've met several and they're all wonderful and on the same page. I see Dr. Miller exclusively now, and I love him - he's wonderful with me and takes his time at appointments. They also do have a MFM (maternal-fetal-medicine or perinatologist) who supervises and reviews our records to make sure that we're doing okay. You'll get more ultrasounds than others to check growth and everything and those are done over in another department, but they are really good as well. :)

• I have no advice about the OB care since I wasn't pregnant here, but I have heard that it is pretty good.  I had amazing care by my German provider, I don't think any US doctor would live up to him lol.  I had 2 kids in the US and one in Germany.  I have been here at Lewis for a year now, we also came here from Germany.  
  • I had my daughter at Madigan last May (I can't believe she's about to be a year old!) and I was really happy with the care we received.  I had to have an Emergency c-section and everyone from my Doctor to the nurses and even the anesthesiologists were really great!  DD had to go to the NICU right away and they took great care of her.  When she got hungry they even called our room to check with us first if we wanted her given formula and my awesome nurse even helped me get into a wheelchair and get wheeled over to NICU so that I could nurse her.  I know everyone's experience is different, but we could not have asked for better care.  Congratulations and good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I live at Ft Lewis. My experience with the OB's at Madigan was not great. I switched to a civilian OB in Olympia and DS was born there. However, I know lots of women who have had great experiences with the midwives and L&D and NICU at Madigan and they all have great things to say about that. I think you'll be just fine moving here, they have a good program and the only thing I've heard not so great things about are the actual prenatal OBs, which is what I didn't like. But its not like they're bad, just not what I wanted.
  • we just pcsed to lewis from bragg about 6 months ago. madigan is tiny and older. but alot of the obs and drs offices are newly renevated and not so military like. I think no matter where you go in the military thier all the same, kinda all buisness, but Im sure your used to that. Im going to try to get a referal for an off base dr.. Just my opinion though.

AND, the rain should be letting up soon!!! I hope! Big Smile

• I'm currently going there for all my OB needs and I'll be delivering there in August. They do have a great program, however they are extremely overwhelmed and understaffed. I guess in the past year they've gone from delivering 3 babies a day to 10 and it definitely shows in the way they handle their other patients. I had to be put on a waiting list to get permission to go off post to have my ultrasound because they were fully booked for 2 months. The doctors are really nice, but I always hate how I have a different doctor at every visit. On the other hand, when I go into labor I'll probably have seen one of those doctors at least once lol! My friend recently delivered there (she had a c section) and they took really good care of her. I'm not too worried because they all seem to know what they're doing which is more than I know!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"